Finally the CB750F project is done and test ride complete

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
So for those of you in to vintage SOHC Hondas I have just finished another one and had a successful 35 mile test ride today. This has been a long time to complete, about 21 months. For a number of reasons but those would be stories over a beer or three, or how many ever it takes to tell the story.

So first with this bike I could not be a purest. There were not enough pieces to make it a like new restoration. So I have what I call a resto-mod. Below is the list of the basics that were done to the bike, also the frame has not been hacked so for someone if they wanted could make a stock bike. The theme was to keep it as much Honda as possible.

The base bike is a 1976 Honda CB750F.
? The motor is a 836cc with a performance cam
? 1981 Honda CB900F front forks and brakes and rear swing arm and brakes
? Wheels are from a 1983 Honda CB1100F
? Gas Tank for a 1978 Honda CB750
? Seat pan is made from an early 1980s Suzuki gas tank
? Honda 4 to 1 Header for a 1977/78 CB750 Automatic
? The fairing is a Don Vesco Rabid Transit fairing. Extremely rare. This is the last one I have seen for sale in over two years. Articles say it adds 10 to 20 mph on the top end without engine performance mods. Don Vesco held land speed records at Bonneville. His brother still races there today.

Attachments

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Thanks much for the comments. It is a great ride. Lots of power, smooth, good handling. It is a blast to ride.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
All I can do is echo the sentiments everyone else has said... Job well done, it is a very cool bike!

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
So I have nearly 700 miles on this bike now. First oil change is done along with the first set of cam chain and tappet adjustments. I must admit that riding this bike is amazing. It handles well and straight line is good to even at high speeds. It is not completely broke in but it easily has done the Ton with little effort. At the point the big cam is just starting to kick in. so who knows what it will really done.

For a vintage bike with non modern suspension I think I have been successful. I am very surprised at how well the Don Vesco fairing works. Even with the high winds this year in Colorado I am affected less on this bike than on my ST1100. My only issue that I have found so far is that I scrape pegs while cornering. But I have found this on my other CB750 as well, so I am just not going to worry about it. On the plus side I have gotten 50 mpg on the bike too. Not bad for a big bore and big cam motor.

Top Bottom