Do PC800s Count?

Knowing this is the daddy of the ST1100 and the granddaddy of the ST1300.....I scored a '96 red Pacific Coast, 22K miles. Not quite a ST`1300, but a lot lighter and a blast in city traffic.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Absolutely! Great bike! Fun and very practical! Congrats!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Now THAT's a bike they should update a little and bring it back.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
:worthless

Well, some one had to say it.:D. Congratulations on your purchase. There was one in our local Craigslist a few months ago. I should have called about it.

John

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I had one too, nice dependable ride. But I wouldn't call it the "daddy" of the ST1100. Totally different engine configuration, it being a standard v-twin, with hydraulic valves, etc. It's more like a Shadow with a full plastic body than anything...

If any bike is the "daddy" of the ST1100 it would probably be the Silverwing, which had a V-twin in the same mounting configuration as the ST1100, along with shaft drive.

Enjoy it, not often you find a buried low-mileage gem like that one.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, Nice bike. Nice catch. But be careful there, seating position almost exactly the same as the CTX1300 (natural straight up and feet just in front of the GW position). I think it looks like a very comfortable ride. Don't understand why Honda dropped that one.

The Pacific Coast was the bike that Honda made that no one wanted at the time. I have a 93 and it is a great little bike for what it is. In fact is is much better at everything considering the sum of it's pieces.
I went completely through mine and all the major parts are in good shape. The prior owner took the bike to Sturgis and turned a air brush artist loose on it. I was told that it cost him about 3,500 dollars for the work. That's what the artist told me. I get mixed reviews of the paint job. Some like it and some just look at me with an astonished look on their face.
I tell my wife that I ride it to show folks that I have a sense of humor. Truth be told, I really like the bike, paint job and all.

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Totally different engine configuration, it being a standard v-twin, with hydraulic valves, etc.
I'd say the engine is irrelevant. I think the bodywork and its light nimble ride made it the progenitor of the Sport-Touring genre for Honda. Keep the plastics on the PC ST1100 and ST1300 and change the engine to anything you want. You'll still have the same basic utility of the bikes- Sport-Touring.

And the PC share pretty much the same appeal as the STs past and present on a smaller scale. In all my years I've seen very few PCs and not many more STs. It's easy to see why Honda dropped them from production but it would be great to see them resurrected updates. Honda may see the Silver Wing scooter as adequate for that segment.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Like others have said, Honda dropped the bike because it didn't sell. As most of us remember, MSRP for motorcycles in the early 1990's was outrageous, and well above the ratio for new 4-wheeled vehicles.

I bought my new, leftover 1989 (Pearl White) PC800 in 1992 for almost half of MSRP.

Very nice bike, but underpowered.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I posted a reply then had a network issue which appears to have dropped the post into the valley........

I still have my PC800 which I bought as a stop gap last year when returning to the bike after writing off my last ST1100....

They are a great bike, a little lacking in the tyre availability department, mine had some dreadful Metzelers on when I got it.... almost zero grip on wet roads.... I still have the rear on there and it is interesting in the wet as you can spin it up in the wet if not judicious with the throttle.....

Comfortable, great weather protection, bar risers already fitted, well okay just good bars..... economy not bad.... loads of room to carry stuff.....

Just a pain to work on.....

I will be selling my PC now that I have the NT700V... it is still in very good condition for a 25 year old bike, being an original US import in the launch colour!

My bad, it is a 96. I checked my registration. Hard to tell which year it is with the overlay of hills and bears and waterfalls and mountains. I'll never lose it in a parking lot though.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX_series - not the Silverwing scooter, referring to the CX's

And ya Ben, the Sabre and Magna as well, but they also had laterally-mounted V4's, not longitudinally-mounted V4's so the CX engine configuration was a bit more similar to the ST, albeit in only two cylinders.

Basically, the PC800 is a VT800 Shadow with a plastic body on it, not all that much different under the skin. Not to argue too much, but the ST1100 was designed as a long-range sport-tourer, the PC800 was designed as an around-town bike for fetching groceries, shopping, etc, and light touring.

Not that the PC isn't a decent touring bike - I've ridden one almost coast-to-coast and it performed fine under most circumstances. Not much "sport" in it though...

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
Bought a new 97 PC, put exactly 60K miles on it before having a bad encounter w/a F150. Flew to Nashville, TN a month later, w/a cast on one arm, bought another 97 w/3K on the clock and rode it to another 60K before selling it to a professional volleyball player in Panama City, Fl.
I feel the PC was most practical and very economical bike ever built, w/a huge, loyal following on the PC-Owners forum.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...the PC800 was designed as an around-town bike for fetching groceries, shopping, etc, and light touring.
Their quite rare around here (and I always wave at them :) ), as their were first intended for the US market only...

MHO: with the PC800 (as well as with the Fusion/CN250) Honda actually invented the "large scooter" segment... long before other MFGs jumped on that track... a leap as with the ST1100/Pan-European in '89/'90...

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was into the "Sport Touring" thing long before the PC800s or the ST1100s came out. Price was one of the reasons I stayed with the V45 & V65 Sabres so long, but power was the other reason. Although that little V-Twin in the PC800 was a great engine, I never liked a V-twin. But we all have our reasons for liking/dis-liking something.

Maybe that's why I'm only collecting ST1300s at this time! ;)

Top Bottom