Another maintenance "Make over"

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
About three weeks ago a buddy of mine called me and asked if I could fix the poor running issue with his bike. After describing the problem, I diagnosed it over the phone as a faulty vacuum pet cock. He brought it to my house on a trailer. After getting it in the shop and thoroughly checking it out, I had to recommend several important items that needed addressed.
One of the first things I noticed was a coolant leak at the main supply hoses to the block, then after inspecting the rear drive splines, discovered bad and one missing o ring. The front suspension was in bad need of a rebuild and the back brake rotor had metal transfer from last set of over-worn brake pads. It took me a while, but talked him into riding my 1100 for a day and see if he would like a good suspension on his bike. After he brought it back, he was a believer and decided to upgrade the suspension.
So.. here are the items we addressed:

1) Flush and bleed Clutch
2) Flush and bleed Front and Rear Brakes
3) Engine oil and filter
4) Change final drive fluid
5) Replaced ?Cush drive? rubbers and inserts
6) Replaced rear drive ?O? rings
7) Replace old stock shock with new ?Progressive? 465 series
8) Valve check and replace valve cover gaskets
9) Remove, clean, and apply anti-seize to all exhaust and heat shield bolts
10) Resurface rear brake rotor
11) Removed radiator, soaked and cleaned to remove all foreign debris, straighten bent fins
12) Removed, cleaned and polished thermostat housing
13) Replaced thermostat and ?O? ring
14) Replaced supply hoses to elbows
15) Replaced elbows and ?O? rings
16) Replaced carb isolators, inspected bowls and vacuum pistons
17) Carb sync
18) Remounted radiator, cleaned overflow reservoir and refilled system
19) Cleaned and protected electrical connectors
20) Replaced fuel filter
21) Rebuilt vacuum fuel valve (the reason the bike was brought to me)
22) Lubed throttle cables
23) Removed forks and deliver to Traxxion Dynamics for rebuild and upgrade
24) Removed major scratches from windshield
25) Detailed bike

The bike now looks new and rides better than a new one. I believe the man is going to do the happy dance when he picks it up!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
About three weeks ago a buddy of mine called me and asked if I could fix

The bike now looks new and rides better than a new one. I believe the man is going to do the happy dance when he picks it up!
Until he sees your parts/labor bill.:D

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
About three weeks ago a buddy of mine called me and asked if I could fix the poor running issue with his bike. After describing the problem, I diagnosed it over the phone as a faulty vacuum pet cock. He brought it to my house on a trailer. After getting it in the shop and thoroughly checking it out, I had to recommend several important items that needed addressed.
One of the first things I noticed was a coolant leak at the main supply hoses to the block, then after inspecting the rear drive splines, discovered bad and one missing o ring. The front suspension was in bad need of a rebuild and the back brake rotor had metal transfer from last set of over-worn brake pads. It took me a while, but talked him into riding my 1100 for a day and see if he would like a good suspension on his bike. After he brought it back, he was a believer and decided to upgrade the suspension.
So.. here are the items we addressed:

1) Flush and bleed Clutch
2) Flush and bleed Front and Rear Brakes
3) Engine oil and filter
4) Change final drive fluid
5) Replaced “Cush drive” rubbers and inserts
6) Replaced rear drive “O” rings
7) Replace old stock shock with new “Progressive” 465 series
8) Valve check and replace valve cover gaskets
9) Remove, clean, and apply anti-seize to all exhaust and heat shield bolts
10) Resurface rear brake rotor
11) Removed radiator, soaked and cleaned to remove all foreign debris, straighten bent fins
12) Removed, cleaned and polished thermostat housing
13) Replaced thermostat and “O” ring
14) Replaced supply hoses to elbows
15) Replaced elbows and “O” rings
16) Replaced carb isolators, inspected bowls and vacuum pistons
17) Carb sync
18) Remounted radiator, cleaned overflow reservoir and refilled system
19) Cleaned and protected electrical connectors
20) Replaced fuel filter
21) Rebuilt vacuum fuel valve (the reason the bike was brought to me)
22) Lubed throttle cables
24) Removed major scratches from windshield
25) Detailed bike

Great job Mr. VINNY!

The Cheese

Way to go Vinny. Bet the new owner will hug ya!

I could drop mine off for the same treatment. She could use some of that kinda attention. Wink, wink. :D:D:D:D:D

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Nice list!
A few further items come to mind, like the little rubber boots at clutch and brake master, clean and lube the pivots for brake and shifter lever, clean and lube the ball-joints of shifter linkage, etc... :wink:

OOHH YEAAHHH!! :cool:... I'm eye-balling that for a couple of years now, already exchanged emails with them; that shipping costs, customs and VAT will outrank the actual price of that rework is a spoiler... :roll:

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Be careful vinny.....this is how it starts.....the first brake bleed at the playgound is free...then they keep coming back LOL :rofl1:

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Be careful vinny.....this is how it starts.....the first brake bleed at the playgound is free...then they keep coming back LOL :rofl1:
I can already see the requests increasing.... Don't mind helping folks who want to help themselves... but no work to folks too lazy to do it themselves. It's all about the "learning process". Helping those who want to become more familiar with the maintenance and operation of their rides.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
And so it begins.......the student becomes the teacher :bow1:

STOC #
I've got mine apart for a big list of things to do too.
Cam belt, coolant change, oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs, Galfer brake and clutch hoses, valve clearance check (dang it I need one shim 2.050mm), carb sync, and brake linings.
I would like to change the rear shock but it rides fine so far at 44,000 miles.
ST Work.jpg

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I've got mine apart for a big list of things to do too.
Cam belt, coolant change, oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs, Galfer brake and clutch hoses, valve clearance check (dang it I need one shim 2.050mm), carb sync, and brake linings.
I would like to change the rear shock but it rides fine so far at 44,000 miles.
ST Work.jpg
Looks like your no stranger to mechanical work... good luck with all the maintenance... What type of tire changer is that in the corner of your shop?

STOC #
Vinny, I previously worked at two Honda shops as a tech. That was back in the 1979-1985 era. I have been a licensed aircraft mechanic since 1967.
The tire changer is a No-Mar. The photo is in one corner of the hangar where I have my business. I want to retire soon and build a small addition onto the garage for all my equuipment.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Yeah, over looked that... thanks for the reminder :eek::
Whilst a few do get on those shifter-linkage ball-joints, nearly no one checks them pivots...
Fortunately quality design by Honda, V-seals on both ends and that, but over the years rust and crud add up in there...

Top Bottom