I Might Be an Idiot

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
When I bought the Trophy I really went looking for an adventure bike. I lusted after the Tiger Explorer, but after taking a test ride I found the Explorer's ergos really didn't fit me very well and I had really wanted a sport tourer ever since I traded the ST-1300 on a Gold Wing. I tried the Trophy and liked it so much I bought one and have had a lot of problems (leaking gas tank, top end noise, ECM recall, stand recall and a faulty wiring harness) in the 11,000 miles I've put on it. The bike is brilliant when its working, but its been off the road weeks at a time. I got a smoking deal on the bike used and had about $6,500 left over from what I budgeted and it was burning a hole in my pocket.

Fast forward to this week and the dealer offered me good deal on a partially accessorized 2012 Tiger 800 XC ABS. This bike fits me a lot better than the Explorer and I got a top box, sliding carriage for the box, Arrow Exhaust, driving lights, heated grips, and tall windscreen for a very good price. I traded in my 7 year old Harley and ended up spending less than I "saved" on the Trophy.

Problem is, one block from the dealer the check engine light came on. I didn't even get to ride it home before it had a problem. My Triumph ownership experience hasn't been exactly stellar and I'm wondering if I made another big mistake.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hey, early days. I had a Ford pickup that had the engine light come on at 110 miles a day after I picked it up. Owned it for 8 years and never had another issue, could be a minor glitch.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow that sounds like some bad luck with Triumph!! Maybe you are the only one with these problems? Are there many more with the same type of problems? What year Trophy did you get? Wishing you better luck.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Idiot no, genius yes. I would feel that problem is probably an oversight on the dealer's part. Probably worked on it and didn't plug something back in. My 2012 ABS XC just turned 30,000 miles and the only real problem was created by the dealer. I will never let anyone touch my bikes again.

I haven't ridden a Trophy but did sit on one and thought it was huge, rode the Explorer and didn't like it either, too big. The 800 is a super fun bike to ride.

I don't know if you know or not but the bike has an OBD II connector under the rear seat. You can check the codes with an automotive scanner.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Turned out it was a stuck butterfly valve. Easy fix, but aggravating none the less.

Top Bottom