Latest on my Trophy Trials and Tribulations

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Started the Trophy this morning and there was a rapid ticking sound from the front of the bike. It stopped within a few seconds, but its there every time it starts. Since the 800 was ready to be picked up, I just rode the Trophy over and let the dealer to look at it since I thought they'd have to keep it anyway. I was right, the cam chain tensioner failed and it looks like it'll be in the shop for a couple weeks waiting for the parts to arrive from jolly old England.

I don't think our lemon law applies since I'm not the original owner, but I'm going to check it out. I've had it seven months and its been in the shop over 60 days.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
You are not having the best of luck with your bikes at all. I hope they get things worked out for you.
Every time I think about another bike, I remind myself that my ST1300 has been trouble free for 7 years. And I still like it a lot!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well that is a pain in the rear to have a new bike that is in the shop all the time. I think that I would send it down the road.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
You're only going to want to ride the Tiger from now on anyway so probably won't miss it while it is in the shop. :D

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
You're only going to want to ride the Tiger from now on anyway so probably won't miss it while it is in the shop. :D
I've only done a few miles, but I'm loving it. I wanted to ride it yesterday afternoon, but I'd already done 8 hours on the Trophy by the time I went to the dealer to "swap" bikes. I was telling Katherine I just need to keep one of my bikes over there so its easy to take the Trophy in for service. Luckily they are a Honda and Triumph dealer so I can leave one of my Hondas. They can just slide it on the end of the row of used bikes! Just kidding....sorta.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I've only done a few miles, but I'm loving it. I wanted to ride it yesterday afternoon, but I'd already done 8 hours on the Trophy by the time I went to the dealer to "swap" bikes. I was telling Katherine I just need to keep one of my bikes over there so its easy to take the Trophy in for service. Luckily they are a Honda and Triumph dealer so I can leave one of my Hondas. They can just slide it on the end of the row of used bikes! Just kidding....sorta.
When I got my Tiger I also had an ST1300. I had had full intentions of keeping both for different purposes of course. But the Tigger does everything well and more comfortable to wife and me. It seemed all I ever rode was the Tiger. While the ST and Trophy are both fine bikes I just have more fun on the lighter more nimble bike. Sold the ST as I could use the money more than a bike sitting in the garage depreciating.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences with the Tiger. Enjoy.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Got the bike from the dealer and all is well again, for awhile anyway. I love the bike and hope I can afford to keep it. The extended warranty is pricy, but I'll have to buy it if I keep the bike. I bought the Gold wing warranty and it has been the biggest waste of $500 I've seen, but I guess it did give me peace of mind.

Bike
Triumph trophy SE
STOC #
I did my frist long ride after get all the recall work done, Bennington Vt for lunch, 425 miles bike ran great not one problem, like it more every time I ride it. :D

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Bike is going back in the shop for some analysis. It's developed a pronounced rattle in the top end that worries both me and the service manager. On the other hand the Tiger XC has been great. I can see why people like midsize bikes. I wish I could have gotten the XC suspension on a roadie with aluminum wheels.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I'd thought about it, but I bought it used (lemon law still applies), but at such a low price (wouldn't get more than I paid) I'm thinking I'm better off trying to get it fixed. I have two years to apply for a dealer buy back under Texas Lemon Laws and I have seven months of warranty left.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I'd thought about it, but I bought it used (lemon law still applies), but at such a low price (wouldn't get more than I paid) I'm thinking I'm better off trying to get it fixed. I have two years to apply for a dealer buy back under Texas Lemon Laws and I have seven months of warranty left.
Seven months of warranty???? I guess that means it will spend the better part of seven months in the shop. I'm not trying to be over critical, it's your bike after all. However, I think I would write this one off as a the lemon that it is and try to get my money back for my troubles. What's the point of owning a bike that you can't ride? Would you trust taking it on an 7000 mile trip? Just questions I'd be asking myself if I were in your shoes.

A sincere good luck with the bike,
Mike

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I got the bike back Friday. The dealer said he couldn't find anything amiss and doesn't really know why the bike is louder than others. He said he will leave the ticket open in case something happens in the future. I did almost 600 miles on it Saturday and it performed flawlessly except for that rattling noise. All Triumph triples rattle to some extent or another, but this one is much louder than my Tiger 800. I have seven months to see what is going to happen with the bike, the warranty runs out and my two year lemon law window expire at the same time. I've met the lemon law requirements and can turn it back in which is the way I'm leaning, but I can also buy an extended four year warranty if I decide to keep it. The dealer owes me the 20,000 mile service which should be due sometime this fall and that will go a long way toward deciding the bikes's ultimate fate. They have to open the top end to adjust the valves and any damage should be evident at that time.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
What do Triumph say about the noise, I am sure they will be involved... perhaps advising the dealer to tell you what they have....

You are a braver man than me, I would have sent it back if it had been in the shop that much in the time you have had it.....

Did they do any updates to the head etc... I thought there was a fair few had to have this due to noise from the top end?

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Don't know if it has anything to do with yours but I have read that on some model Triumphs the teeth in the auto adjust timing chain tensioner are a little far apart. Therefore when the chain is just before the next tooth it will rattle until it wears enough to get to the next tooth. Then quiet for a while until it all starts over. The tensioner on my Tiger was replaced under warranty, it did quiet mine down some but still a little noise. Like you said they are a little noisy in the valve train/chain area by nature.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
What do Triumph say about the noise, I am sure they will be involved... perhaps advising the dealer to tell you what they have....

You are a braver man than me, I would have sent it back if it had been in the shop that much in the time you have had it.....

Did they do any updates to the head etc... I thought there was a fair few had to have this due to noise from the top end?
My bike has had the cylinder head update which also replaces the cam chain tensioner. Then it had another cam chain tensioner installed after the new one failed. I'm not really brave, I just like the bike and have a warranty to fall back on now.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Don't know if it has anything to do with yours but I have read that on some model Triumphs the teeth in the auto adjust timing chain tensioner are a little far apart. Therefore when the chain is just before the next tooth it will rattle until it wears enough to get to the next tooth. Then quiet for a while until it all starts over. The tensioner on my Tiger was replaced under warranty, it did quiet mine down some but still a little noise. Like you said they are a little noisy in the valve train/chain area by nature.

The Tiger is silent compared to the Trophy! In all seriousness, I'm really liking the Tiger and if I only had one bike I think that would be a candidate. It's a fun ride.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Well, the Trophy is laid up again. The clutch slave cylinder packed it up and needs replaced. It's not expensive or particularly difficult to change, but of course the part isn't available on the north American continent.

Top Bottom