Latest on my Trophy Trials and Tribulations

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Seriously, Triumph has the worst supply chain in the motorcycle industry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I'm at the point where I'd sell it if I knew what else I wanted to ride. Dang it Honda, when are you coming out with a ST replacement?

The RT comes closer to the Trophy than any other bike, but BMW doesn't have stellar reliability either and the BMW dealer is 50 miles away.

Another issue is the resale value of a Trophy, people have been offered $9000 for a bike they paid $18,999 two years ago. That's a tough loss to take.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I owned a 1979 Triumph TR7 during the bad old days when British Leyland ran the company, the accelerator cable broke one day in July so I was able to limp home with wire tied to the throttle. Went to the dealer to get a new one they said no problem should be here in a couple of days, I come back and am told there isn't one in Canada and the plant in Britain is on summer shut down so it would be at least a month. I thought how can a whole factory shut down with not even the parts folks on the job, I wasn't surprised when a few years later they went bankrupt.

Tell that to Moto Guzzi owners. Seriously, too may problems for you though.
Talked to a Moto Guzzi owner today in a coffee shop and he was super pleased with the bike.

BMW doesn't have stellar reliability either and the BMW dealer is 50 miles away.

My experience with BMW has been all good, 4 seasons riding the bike 72,000 km one failure which was the resume feature of the cruise control switch.

Gerhard

Last edited:

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
......and people still bash BMWs. Amazing!

How many times has your bike been in the shop again? I truly feel for your position.
Mike

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I have to agree with that.

I also think they brought the Trophy to the market a little too soon. They should have done a little more testing.

My Tiger had a couple very minor problems at first and one dealer caused problem, but it has been great since then. Nothing like you have been through. Hope you get it worked out.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Trade it for BMW RT. Darn good bikes. Check out prices on pre-owned K1600's,there are some really good deals out there.
Go with a 2013 and up K1600GT or GTL if you go that route. I had a terrible time with my 2012. My 2015 is flawless. I've had it since mid April and have 7500 miles on it already. It has not had a single issue.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
My Tiger is dead reliable, no issues whatsoever. It's a lot simpler bike too though.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Go with a 2013 and up K1600GT or GTL if you go that route. I had a terrible time with my 2012. My 2015 is flawless. I've had it since mid April and have 7500 miles on it already. It has not had a single issue.
I'd considered that,but the Trophy is paid for and I don't really want to trade and have to pay an additional $10K.

Joe 10-4 on that. Hey Dennis take your Trophy up to ArkansasStoc next week. I bet one of those guys can find a way for that thing to spontaneous combust.:nuke1:

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Joe 10-4 on that. Hey Dennis take your Trophy up to ArkansasStoc next week. I bet one of those guys can find a way for that thing to spontaneous combust.:nuke1:
.....might even try to make it look like an accident.
Mike

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
18 months in, and my 2013 Tiger Explorer 1200 is still the best motorcycle I've ever owned (now at 12,000 mi).

I've only got about 1,500 miles on my 2015 Trophy SE, but it's been trouble-free so far.

Hopefully your Trophy trials & tribulations are finally done, and you'll have a wonderful motorcycle. Cheers!!

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
An hour in the garage this afternoon and the Trophy is back on the road. It took less than half an hour to change the clutch slave cylinder and then the oil and filter. I had to change the oil because it had been contaminated by the brake fluid. It looked like a piece of the seal got pinched between the piston and cylinder wall during assembly.

Top Bottom