Saddlebag Lock swap

I'm replacing a saddlebag on my '99; bought a new one from Honda. Went to swap out the locks from the old bag and ran into an issue. Got the tumblers out with no problem, but now I'm trying to take out the base that the tumbler goes into. It looks like there's a clip at the bottom, but I can't ascertain the function of the clip. I've tried to pry the clip open on both sides to slide the base out, but that didn't work. So I tried to pinch the clip ends together to no avail. Has anyone swapped out their saddlebag locks? Son came over and also tackled it; he couldn't figure it out either. What am I missing here? It shouldn't be this difficult...

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Hi Scuffy.

Like you, I tried to pry the clips on both sides, with no success.

So, to Google it is. There is a tab on both sides that needs bending in order to get the lock out. See picture.
I hope it helps.

$(KGrHqZ,!pwFCs9PmHpVBQ9Hy07l9w~~60_12.JPG

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Those buggers are locked in pretty good. Never noticed those little tabs pointed out above, so I usually destroy the clip and the holder. The holder you can bend back into shape pretty easliy. The spring clip, I usually destroy them beyond reuse.

I buy new spring clips then reassemble.

When reassembling, put the spring clip (#4) and holder (#9 & #20 ) into place first, then slip the lock in. goes much easier than taking them apart. I'll be trying those lock tabs next time! :eek:4:

SaddlebagLocks.jpg

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Those buggers are locked in pretty good. Never noticed those little tabs pointed out above, so I usually destroy the clip and the holder. The holder you can bend back into shape pretty easliy. The spring clip, I usually destroy them beyond reuse.

I buy new spring clips then reassemble.

When reassembling, put the spring clip (#4) and holder (#9 & #20 ) into place first, then slip the lock in. goes much easier than taking them apart. I'll be trying those lock tabs next time! :eek:4

SaddlebagLocks.jpg
Found this thread via Search, as I am wanting to swap the locks only between two panniers. Am I right in thinking that removing the circlip from the bottom of the lock allows me to slide the barrel out of the latch assembly? Is it that easy?

Top Bottom