New 14" Delkevic slip ons installed

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
Got my new 14" Delkevic round slip on silencers installed yesterday. Nice fairly easy install and the sound is spot on. Very pleased with the overall quality of the product and decent instructions . None of the factory bolts were a problem to remove and needed no solvent to loosen up.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pics and audio if you please

Got my new 14" Delkevic round slip on silencers installed yesterday. Nice fairly easy install and the sound is spot on. Very pleased with the overall quality of the product and decent instructions . None of the factory bolts were a problem to remove and needed no solvent to loosen up.

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just wondering if you still have the bike and these mufflers?
Would you still recommend them?
I have the tri lobed delkevis and love them. Easy to install. Stainless and the best bang for the buck IMHO. Reduced heat around my feet and saved about 16 pounds of weight . They add a nice note without being too loud and I don't notice them at all at highway speeds thought I do hear them slightly through my pillions intercom. Probably due to her closer proximity to the exhaust outlet. I understand you can make them louder by removing the collar on the outlet but I have not desired to try it. I think the in terms of loudness scale they are just above the stock ones. Two brothers are much louder.

Bike
ST1300
When you installed these did the cats get removed from the OEM system? If I understand correctly the cats are in the mid-pipe and the Delkevics come with a mid-pipe replacement correct? Have you noticed any difference in performance or MPG results? As far as MPG I checked the last time I road by filling up before I left, and then filling up on my way back home. I only rode like 86 miles but what I found was startling to me. My dash computer displayed something like 46mpg but my calculator showed that my actual was 55mpg. I was very pleased to know that the actual was much better than the computer display. I also believe the gas gauge is way off and shows much less fuel than is actually in the tank. I DON'T KNOW IF ALL THAT IS IN THE TANK IS TOTALLY USABLE and don't want to test this but quite often my gauge shows empty and I can't get more than 4.5 gals or so in the bike. I believe it is supposed to hold 6.0 gals.

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
did the cats get removed from the OEM system?
The catalyst is built into the stainless OEM muffler. The slip-ons come with a connecting pipe that is a straight up bolt on. Can be done in 10 minutes by a professional. An hour tops if you take your time (unless you drink a few beers during the install).

My dash computer displayed something like 46mpg but my calculator showed that my actual was 55mpg
. I see 46 on my dash computer frequently but my experience over the long haul, riding alone that is pretty close to the actual mileage. 2 up or fast riding closer to 42-43. Still not bad considering the weight of the bike and the power it has. 260-300 miles safe cruising range.

I can't get more than 4.5 gals or so in the bike. I believe it is supposed to hold 6.0 gals
I believe the dry capacity is around 7.7 USG. A little over a gallon sits in the lower fuel tank along with the fuel pump The fuel gauge is in the upper tank so when it is empty theoretically you should be able to get about 6.6 gallons in it. I don't want to risk overheating the fuel pump by running the lower tank down so I fill up around the time the gauge starts flashing for low fuel. I think the most I have put in on a fill up is 6.3 gallons. CAUTION. Filling while on the center stand will let you get more fuel in but beware overfilling can cause the carbon canister in thetank vent system to become saturated with fuel and may need to be replaced if that happens.

PS
when the dash computer switches to the miles to empty mode don't trust it as the calculations are based on the last few miles traveled. It might be close if you are cruising at constant speed on the highway. If you stop the bike and restart it before refilling all bets are off. Plenty of threads here to search on this subject.

Last edited:
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I purchased a set of used Staintunes for @ $500 from a rider on here that was selling his bike a few years ago. I find the quality of these pipes to be excellent and well worth the money, they give me just the right rumble when I throttle on and aren't too loud for cruising (I have the baffle tips installed) I think the price of the Delkevic makes them more popular.

Bike
ST1300
Couplers... ??? ... With the tri-oval mufflers, do you have to remove the muffler to remove the rear axle bolt when replacing the rear tire? And did you get the 13" or the 17" set?

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Couplers... ??? ... With the tri-oval mufflers, do you have to remove the muffler to remove the rear axle bolt when replacing the rear tire? And did you get the 13" or the 17" set?
Even with the stock muffler I only had to remove the muffler support bolts and loosen the clamp to rotate it out of the way. Same with the Delkevics only there is one less bolt to remove. I have the 17" tri-ovals. They are pretty quiet. I have not heard the shorter version to know how they compare. I believe there is a thread here somewhere that has .wav files or video with sound of various mufflers for the st1300.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
Do you happen to know how well the carbon fiber mufflers hold up in looks? They have the 13" tri-oval carbon fiber set on sale now for $327 and change with free shipping.

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Do you happen to know how well the carbon fiber mufflers hold up in looks? They have the 13" tri-oval carbon fiber set on sale now for $327 and change with free shipping.
Sorry not much help here. I have Zero experience with Carbon Fiber. Ive been happy with the Stainless for 2 years. The quality seems very good so I don't know any reason they wouldn't give you 4-5 good years or more with normal use.

Top Bottom