Tiger 800 XC Riding Impressions

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I finally got to go out and put a few miles on the Tiger and even did a little dirt road riding. I got it up to about 250 miles on the odometer and can't rev it past 5000 rpm according to the break in procedures so I haven't really experience the motor yet.

First impressions:

Fit and finish are excellent. This is my second Triumph and I have to say I really like the way they are put together. The Trophy used very few plastic push pins to hold the body work on and instead used button head hex screws. It's much easier to take off the tupperwear and put it back on than my ST was or the Gold Wing is. Everything is brushed aluminum or painted with some type of metallic silver paint. The tank is steel and the tank bag I used on my ST fits the Tiger too.

This is a hot motorcycle! It was 95 yesterday and every time I slowed below about 35 I could feel the heat wafting off the engine. The heat on my crotch reminded me of the ST! Once you get moving it dissipates, but it still warm compared to my other rides.

It's very tall. I can get both feet on the ground, but I'm on my toes.

I don't know if I actually like the little windscreen since it pushes the wind right into my helmet. I got the larger windscreen with the deal so I'm hoping it s a little quieter otherwise I'm going to need ear plugs. Like everything else Triumph, the freebee accessories that weren't already installed weren't in stock, but should be here in a week.

The seat is uncomfortable after 2 hours, so I'm going to need an alternative if I want to do really serious miles on the bike.

It feels very slim and light and handles very well despite the larger front wheel. My Harley had spokes so I'm okay with that and already have a tire patch kit.

The suspension is terrific. It has a lot of fork and shock travel and soaks up the bumps very well.

The stock tires seem pretty good on pavement and provide good grip on dirt.

There isn't a whole lot of bottom end torque and I killed the bike a few times. You have to wind it up to get it going, especially if you are on rough terrain. I find this odd for an "Adventure" bike. In defense of the bike, my main rides to this point have been a Gold Wing, Harley and Triumph Trophy. All three are much larger displacement and you don't even need to give the first two any throttle to get them moving in first gear, just let out the clutch and they take off. The Trophy needs just a little rpm to get you moving.

Why isn't a center stand standard equipment?

The interface for the optional Triumph brand fog lamps is cheesy and it looks like the heated grip switch will probably be the same because there are two spots for after market switches and the lights occupy one. The Trophy does a much better job of integrating those into the switchgear.

So far it's been exactly what I wanted--a different ride.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Tiger 800 XC Ridign Impressions

I rented one when I was out in San Diego and really liked the 800. I'm short and could touch better than my ST. Did you lower the seat to the lowest position?

I agree. There isn't a whole lot of bottom end at all. I thought maybe they detuned the rental bike or something.

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
I always liked the 800. Someday I will have to own one.

I have noticed a growing trend with center stands. Most manufactures are not including them standard. I suppose it makes the bike cheaper to manufacture and they can get more by selling you one after, and not have to install it. Plus it makes the dealers happy as they make a little on the sell/install.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Question for Skunkape. Did you put bar risers on your Tiger?

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Yes, I put Rox risers on mine. I think they have two options and I have the higher ones. They also make them with rubber dampeners if you feel the need.

With the stock screen it is pretty much a nekkid bike. I tried a Madstad screen and it worked too good for this hot natured Florida boy. It is also butt ugly and wiggled. However it was an early version and has been redesigned. I now have a Palmer Products screen and I made "winglets" for winter. It is a nice product but still a little homely. Givi has an adjustable shield also but I have no experience with it.

I agree it could use a little more low end. It feels like it has a very light flywheel too. I tried dropping one tooth on my front sprocket. While it made it more fun to ride it killed the mileage.

The engine loves to rev so once you get her broke in it should be more fun to ride.

Seats are subjective and for me it is as good as they get. However I have a bead rider which helps with the heat. There are aftermarket seats a available.

Typed on phone with fat fingers so sorry for any errors.

EDIT Just got home and realized your 5000 rpm limit. It doesn't start coming to life until 5000. It will get much more fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Yes, I put Rox risers on mine. I think they have two options and I have the higher ones. They also make them with rubber dampeners if you feel the need.

With the stock screen it is pretty much a nekkid bike. I tried a Madstad screen and it worked too good for this hot natured Florida boy. It is also butt ugly and wiggled. However it was an early version and has been redesigned. I now have a Palmer Products screen and I made "winglets" for winter. It is a nice product but still a little homely. Givi has an adjustable shield also but I have no experience with it.

I agree it could use a little more low end. It feels like it has a very light flywheel too. I tried dropping one tooth on my front sprocket. While it made it more fun to ride it killed the mileage.

The engine loves to rev so once you get her broke in it should be more fun to ride.

Seats are subjective and for me it is as good as they get. However I have a bead rider which helps with the heat. There are aftermarket seats a available.

Typed on phone with fat fingers so sorry for any errors.

EDIT Just got home and realized your 5000 rpm limit. It doesn't start coming to life until 5000. It will get much more fun.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm having problems getting on the bike to ride. Hopefully I can get a it over 300 miles this weekend and I can go to 6000 rpm!

Ordered the 2" Rox risers today and am thinking about the Triumph center stand, but the one review it has says it doesn't get the rear tire off the ground. That sounds useless, do you have one?

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm having problems getting on the bike to ride. Hopefully I can get a it over 300 miles this weekend and I can go to 6000 rpm!

Ordered the 2" Rox risers today and am thinking about the Triumph center stand, but the one review it has says it doesn't get the rear tire off the ground. That sounds useless, do you have one?
I haven't heard that one, unless someone put a Roadie stand on an XC. Be sure you order the correct stand. The Roadie stand is shorter or is it the XC stand is longer. Can't remember which. :rolleyes: I have the first issue center stand and although it supposedly has issues I don't. With the bags on the front wheel is off the ground and with them off the rear wheel is off the ground. Good for chain lubing or tire changes.

The Tiger 800 forum has lots of info. If you make your way over there I'm "CSAW". However this is still my favorite forum.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
As you know, with the Rox riser you can adjust forward and back. You can not get to the rear bolt if you tip them back much. I cut off an allen wrench that fits the bolts. I cut it the depth of the hex where it goes plus enough to get a wrench on it. It gives you more adjustability. Guessing it's 5/16" to 3/8" long.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
They are supposed to be here tomorrow.

I looked at a video of someone installing a Rox riser on the Tiger. It looked fiddily, but not difficult. What about those allen wrenches with the ball on the end that lets you angle the wrench a little?

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I went ahead and ordered the center stand since I think it's almost mandatory for a bike with a chain. I see how easy it would be to order the wrong one from the Triumph site.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I agree that they do look "fiddily" and I was worried that they may rotate in the original mounts but they have been rock solid. I used them to pull my bars back also. This is where the problem of tightening the bottom/rear bolt arises. With the bars off there is a hole to reach through and tighten the lower bolts. With a ball ended allen you may be able to get a little more, however you won't have the bars to keep them aligned. You also won't be able to turn them back as much as I did either. Maybe they have made the holes larger or re designed to make the lower bolts more accessible, mine are early ones

If you don't want to pull them back there should not be a problem.

One thing to remember is that the front bolts need to be tightened first and completely. They go all the way through and are the only thing holding the bars to the bike. Then tighten the rears to cinch the bars.

securedownload-7.jpeg

securedownload-8.jpeg

This is the cut off allen wrench. It is an 8mm and about 8mm long judging from this pic. I stick it in the bolt with needle nose pliers then use the wrench to turn it.
securedownload-10.jpeg

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
The center stand is not too hard to install until you get to the @#%&**^#@ spring. However I learned the trick from the dealer AFTER I did it the hard way.

FWIW They use a shoe lace to pull it down and install.

Good Luck

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Thanks for a picture of the Allen wrench, that wasn't at all what I pictured when you said you cut one off. Does it have to be that short?

I saw a video of a side stand install and they used an old fashioned drum brake tool to install it. It went on pretty slick.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Thanks for a picture of the Allen wrench, that wasn't at all what I pictured when you said you cut one off. Does it have to be that short?
It depends on how far back you want the bars. You may not want them back like mine.

I saw a video of a side stand install and they used an old fashioned drum brake tool to install it. It went on pretty slick.
I also used a brake spring tool for mine. Maybe they had a different one than I did. I had a hard time with it.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I also used a brake spring tool for mine. Maybe they had a different one than I did. I had a hard time with it.

I've used a coat hanger on other bikes. I used two four inch dowels and made something that looked like a garrote, then sat behind the bike and pulled the spring over the anchor point.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I saw a neat trick for extending a centerstand spring where the shoe lace is tied to a spoke or around the rear wheel. By rolling the bike a little ways forward the leverage of the wheel pulls the spring the necessary length.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I put Rox risers on the Tiger this weekend and what a difference they made. I have the seat on high and they bring the bars up to the right height. It is very difficult to get at two of the bolts to tighten things up. It can be the front pair or the rear pair, depending on how you adjust them. I have them mostly straight up and also had to cut an Allen wrench to fit, but I had more room and was able to cut some length off the short side and slip it in unlike Skunkape who had to use the small cut off. Having all that adjustability does have a down side however, I keep wonder if they would be more comfortable in another position. I also think I will end up replacing the current bars because although they are at the right height, they are fairly flat and wide which makes me stick my elbows out. The width is okay, but I'd like them angled back just a few degrees.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Just thought about it and don't know if you are aware. The stock XC risers can also be turned 180 degrees which moves the bars up and forward. Just fyi.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Just thought about it and don't know if you are aware. The stock XC risers can also be turned 180 degrees which moves the bars up and forward. Just fyi.
I looked at that and just eyeballing it I think the are probably better the way they are. The center stand, engine guards, and fender extender should be here this week. I'm also looking to get a hugger and longer chain guard. That Triumph guard looks like it'd fling stuff up on your back.

Top Bottom