Review: Chinavasion Rage GPS

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use IGO8 on mine and that's really about all you need. For planning routes, I use MS Streets & Trips then GPSBabel to convert .est files to .kml (which is what IGO8 uses). But you could just plan your routes on Google Maps and download the .kml. The unit looks like a disk drive. Routes go in the IGO8\CONTENT\USERDATA\ROUTE folder (you may have to create one when hooked up to the USB port.) With IGO8, you have to set the screen size in the sys.text file to screen_x=480, screen_y=272. It's found in the IGO8 route directory.

OK Phil. Thanks. I've been following your posts and downloaded the pdf. As long as the one program will get me a functional GPS, I'll play with the other stuff later. I'm really looking forward to planning routes again (which my Street Pilot allowed) and seeing the tracks after the fact; a feature I haven't had before but would be of interest after the fact, every time I get lost :)

It arrived within the time frame stated with the order. I haven't had it on the motorcycle yet. I'm having a hard enough time playing with it in the car. I don't mind tinkering and tweaking but I can't advise anyone else just wanting a GPS to get on with it and navigate on the go, to buy this.
I'm crying over my dead Streetpilot 2720. There was a unit for riders. Probably most of my complaints are with iGo Primo's menus and not the Rage as hardware, but that's the main GPS program being touted so that's the root of my frustration.
Maybe I'll delve into the issues at another time.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have an interesting quirk. When I use the rage GPS in the car it jams the signal from my remote key fob and I'm unable to unlock my doors remotely if the GPS is running.

I haven't bothered to send my unit back, it still has trouble locking onto satellites, however if I go to the trip screen right off the bat it locks in quicker than if I'm on the map screen. Still unable to download routes into IGO8\CONTENT\USERDATA\ROUTE folder. I need to sit down with a geek and have a tutorial ;)

There are days when it's happy and days when it just doesn't want to wake up and face the music.

I'm heading to Winnipeg the end of the week (in the van) I shall try again and plot out a route and see how it goes.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
What I usually do is power up the unit out of the cradle and let it sync to the satellites. For whatever reason, this seems to get a 'quicker' fix than starting out in the cradle. I do that while I'm getting the rest of riding suit on, gloves, etc. The key fob is an interesting one - hadn't heard of that one before. It appears that the GEN 2 unit I have now is a little better at 'grabbing' satellites. But then my other two are working pretty well also (GEN 1s) If you get a chance, email me one of your routes that it won't recognize and I'll see if one of mine will 'see' it. I'll also take a look at it and see if anything jumps out at me. I've sent one back that just would not sync in the cradle, so I'll post as to how that adventure turns out. They were good on the one with a bad USB port so we'll see how they do on this one. ;-)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Probably most of my complaints are with iGo Primo's menus and not the Rage as hardware, but that's the main GPS program being touted so that's the root of my frustration.
Maybe I'll delve into the issues at another time.
Since I'm not familiar with PRIMO I don't know that I will be of much help - that's why I only recommend IGO8 on the units because that's what I use and it works. But feel free to shoot me questions with pictures if you can and I'll see if I can figure stuff out for you.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Uncle Phil,
I see what my issue was, and that was converting the GPX files to kml. I found an online conversion program and was able to transfer the file to the GPS.
I'll try your suggestion of starting it out of the cradle first.
Thanks for your suggestions

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I finally got around to sending the unit back. (Dec. 31st 2014 is when I sent it out, I believe they got it yesterday) This was in my email box this morning
"*The product is diagnosed that not receive GPS signals and GPS software runs very slow. If your item has any lock, please kindly reply with password, so that the technical team can unlock them and test the item's function fully.
>
> This product is tested to be repairable per the technician's confirmation here. We will repair the item and then post it back to you after everything is double checked as functioning correctly.
>
> Could you please provide a physical address (not a PO box) and the consignee's phone number, so that we can send the repaired item back to you as soon as possible? "

I hope I get it back soon so I can give it a workout on my road trip Winnipeg in March (driving a van) I shall post the results of the repaired unit when I get it back.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
That sounds like a more cooperative customer service as Garmin operates, cause they only prompt one with the offer of demanding a "surcharge" to ship you a later, logically more expensive model ;-)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
It did cost me $45 Canadian to ship it back to them. I might get a credit or something, Uncle Phil, I believe mentioned he received a $10 credit when he returned his for servicing. We shall see what happens soon.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, they repaired the one I sent back for 'faulty' GPS signal. You kind of have to 'lean' on them a little bit to get them to cough up extra credit. ;-) My hunch the reason they changed over to 'Gen 2' was the weakness of the GPS signal with the original GPS chipset. Hope it sorts out well for you.

OK Guys, these might be dumb questions, but here goes! Can you load audio files on the SD card & play them back on the Rage GPS? Also, I have the Sena SMH5-FM bluetooth headset, and if it does play back audio files, will I be able to connect & hear the music through my headset? I appreciate all your help & ride safe!

Pikester

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Somewhere in this thread (or another thread), IIRC, someone did the MP3 player setup. I've never done it so I can't be of much help. I believe the music plays out of the same audio as the GPS instructions. As far as talking to the Sena, I don't know. I believe that may have been discussed in this thread also. Seems someone found that the unit 'saw' the Sena but could not get the GPS to connect to it but I don't know if that is a Sena issue or a Rage issue. Sorry I can't be of more help on those issues.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
My Rage arrived today. (sent out Dec. 31 2014 arrived March 4th 2015) It was suppose to be here last week according to the tracking but Canada Post decided that it should see the country first. It looks like they replaced the unit as it doesn't have my markings on it. It does find the satellites quicker, and the IGO8 software seems to function better. Still interferes with my door lock remote fob for my van. (Blocks the signal so I can't open the door)
Over the next few weeks I shall run it through the paces and try loading some routes on it.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My experience has been that the GENII units do find the satellites quicker. I just don't understand why the units find the satellites even quicker when they are not in the cradle. I tried all sorts of 'wiring' configurations but they didn't make any difference. IIRC, one of the pins in the cradle is marked 'antenna' but I can't figure out where it would be in the power line (there is a big round widget inline, but it's placement seemed to make no difference either).

Just a handful of comments since I have taken the unit on a few outings in the last several months (car - not riding just yet in Ontario).
1a) What ever source of iGO 8 I helped myself to online obviously did not install properly or maybe had missing elements. The screen text is English (US), the only choices for voice are eastern European, shown in Cyrillic alphabet. But I recognize one flag as Ukraine. Version 8.3.2.93112 of June 8 2009.
1b) The POI's are missing or next to nil.
- so what's a reliable source of software that installs completely for North American users?
2) Track logs are way off kilter. I play them back and apparently I was doing 137 km/h to 240 km/h in a 50 - 80 km/h area. I can't make sense of this.
3) Google Earth: It imports the .gpx file directly but all it displays at first is the route lines. Anywhere I click on the route pops up a blank white caption box.
- if I run the slider back and forth, the track lines disappear and the arrowhead (indicating my location in time) is the only thing on the screen. What does a good track log look like?
4) Boot up time - pretty good; Battery life - good; switching navigation paths - straightforward from the tips here at ST.
5) Display contrast and clarity - no complaints at all. Touch screen response needs a firm press or it gets ignored. I would keep the audible response turned on.
6) Build construction - It seems very sturdy. It certainly has some bulk and the rubber casing and seals instill confidence in its durability and weather resistance. The cradle is strong and rigid; stiffer than my RAM cradle for my Garmin. It takes a good push to get the unit seated so the little brass lock screw can catch some threads. Just good to double check that, not a negative issue.
7) Micro SD card - tricky to seat correctly. Don't try it at the side of the road in poor light. The spring tension is enough to make that baby fly if you don't have a finger or tool to block it. Not that I did that but the occasion might come up to pull the chip during a ride. When I can't find a mini screw drier or a pen knife to poke it down, a stiff zip tie will do.
8) It's a Windows CE box - anything else useful that can be installed on it that's of help to a traveler?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Midlifemike, with regards to item #7, on the back of the unit is a plastic stylus that can be used to pry open the rubber protective cover of the card. on one end of the stylus is a flat end which helps to seat the card or remove it.
The IGO8 software does work well, but you may have to breakdown and order a version that has the North American maps and POI. it will come with numerous language options too. I bought mine through this fellow. http://www.bonanza.com/listings/iGO8-2014-Q2-North-America-USA-8GB-Map-Card-for-Win-CE-din-GPS-nav-SD-igo-maps/98409205
cheers
Robert

Top Bottom