bmw K100 bars on st1100 abs

had my st1100 for about 4 weeks now and getting some miles on her, doing a bit of servicing and fitting a few bits and pieces. I've got hold of a set of bars from a BMW K100lt, after seeing a number of threads here on the forum, as I find the riding position just a little tipped forward for me, and the bmw bars look like they're going to give me a better riding position. Several of the threads I've read say that the various hoses/cables and wiring can simply be rerouted to allow the fitting of these bars, but i'm wondering if the hose from the brake lever to modulator is long enough, it looks a bit short, i'm wondering whether i'll need to get a new longer hose made up. Has anyone got any personal experience of fitting these bars to an abs st1100 (its a 2000 model if that helps)?

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I was skeptical too so I just opted for new lines.

OP
OP
fitting BMW K100 bars on 2000 st1100 ABS

Just finished fitting a set of BMW K100 bars to my st1100 (2000) ABS. I read various threads before I started, which gave me a head start, and heres how it went. Got the set of bars from e bay (cost me ?20). After removing the plastic surround that covers the bars/ignition switch, i could position the BMW bars next to the originals and get an idea of what needed doing. The first thing that was apparent was that the hose from the master cyclinder to the ABS modulator wasn't going to be long enough. Everything else looked like it could be rerouted and would be long enough. Removed the switch gear from each bar end and the brake and clutch master cylinders and twist grip, and removed the handlebars. Getting the rods that the bar end weights screw into out was a problem, ended up cutting the bars and knocking the rods out. The BMW bars have a slightly smaller inside diameter, so getting the rods and their rubber grommets into the new bars was a bit tight, but a large hammer solved the problem :D
After loosely fitting the bars to the clamps, I could start moving/re-routing the various cables, wires and hoses to behind the triple tree. This went without a hitch, the only problem was the brake hose. I got the necessary parts from http://www.venhill.co.uk/ to make up a hose 150mm longer than the original item and this turned out to be spot on for length when fitted. Some posts say that the plastic bar/ignition switch cover won't work with the BMW bars but with just a small trim to each side, the cover fits quite well (although I think it looks better without the cover and i'll probably leave it off). All that was left was to bleed the brakes and give the bike a test run. As i'd hoped the bars give me an upright seating position and I find the bike much more comfortable, the original bars made me lean forward a bit more than I liked so i'm well pleased with BMW bars. Having got the riding position sorted the next step is a new screen!

Attachments

Bike
1997 ST1100
Re: fitting BMW K100 bars on 2000 st1100 ABS

How much clearance do these handlebars have with the fairing/windshield? With the stock bars, when you swing the fork lock-to-lock, the levers tuck neatly into the fairing cutouts and don't touch the windscreen. Does a taller bar change that?
Edited to ask: What are the dimensions on the k100 bars? Can you list width, rise, pullback and center measurements? With all of the handlebar suppliers out there it seems like we can find one with the same or similar dimensions. I think I'd rather put on a properly dimensioned handle bar than use risers or adapters. I've got long arms and I'm interested in something that fits better.

Last edited:
OP
OP

How much clearance do these handlebars have with the fairing/windshield? With the stock bars, when you swing the fork lock-to-lock, the levers tuck neatly into the fairing cutouts and don't touch the windscreen. Does a taller bar change that?
Edited to ask: What are the dimensions on the k100 bars? Can you list width, rise, pullback and center measurements? With all of the handlebar suppliers out there it seems like we can find one with the same or similar dimensions. I think I'd rather put on a properly dimensioned handle bar than use risers or adapters. I've got long arms and I'm interested in something that fits better.
The bmw bars have plenty of clearance both with the standard screen and an MRA vario screen that I have now fitted. I,ll have a go at measuring the bars tomorrow. The BMW bars are a good fit for me and I didn't, need to use any risers or adapters (see pictures).

Bike
2002 ST1100A
STOC #

I like the BMW bars....I think it might be time for me to go shopping for "new" bars!

Bike
st1100, klr650

are these off a k100? i'm seeing all kinds of bars on fleabay claiming that they are k100s. wish i knew the rise/width/centerspan. have no idea if the advertised bars are true to the original or just 7/8ths and that's it. :confused:

also, the bike's in ireland and i'm in reno so i can't tell the original length for the brake line. anyone have an overall measure for a stock 94 with abs so that i could add 150mmto that?

Top Bottom