Shinko Triple 7

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I bought the blackwall 777 in 160/70 for my ST.
They are made for the cruiser market and only seem to show up at the beginning of the year and are sold out fast.
Got mine from Motorcycle Superstore and it was $112.99
To the front I reinstalled the BT45 rear 110/80 I had on some time back, move over to the XL250 front when it had a 18" front rim on, and then was sitting about doing nothing. I did quick 57 mile ride last night after install and it grips okay and rides real smooth with ceramic balance beads installed.
We shall see how long it lasts. Except for the 705s I never looked at how many miles I was getting from the Shinkos, and usually replaced them before totally worn out (or in the case of the set on the black bike, are not yet close to worn out).

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Best of luck with that tire, I hope you get good wear.
I've had decent wear on the Verge, and on the Black bike it is abused some. That set is 160/60 rear (the same size doghouse had on the TwoTone when I bought it from him) but when I put them on the TwoTone it swam like a fish when it was going down the interstate. I think the frame bend damage on it put it right at the bad spot, the Black is bent a bit as well, but tracks true with them (both were straightened a goodly bit but are still just a bit out).

I think you'll have good luck with that Shinko.
Except for the Radial 705, I have had great luck with Shinko. That one I overheated on a 100f plus day with two flats at speed. and considering it was not designed for a 700 pound plus bike it held up very well considering. I'm thinking it would be fine with some additional sipe work done to the blocks to get the heat out (old dirt track trick).

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Early update.
Traction is okay. At full lean they are, I think, a bit too round to really get a grip like the Verge or the other tires I have used except the OEM G Bias tire. The tire is aimed more at the cruisers who A: Don't really get a full lean and B: are after a certain look so it isn't as grippy as any of the others when new excepting the OEM (though it is better than the Metz set when they were pulled off.
We have had plenty of rain recently, so I've been able to get a sense there. At first I thought the wet traction was horrid, but then noticed where I had the issue was coated with a combo of coal dust and sandy clay. The Coal keeps showing up (it is offloaded from train cars by bucket to dump trailers that use part of my route). Once that was washed away, and in other less polluted areas they grip okay for me. Straight up accelerating away from stops they work great in the wet, leaned they are okay, but even PR3s were not what I'd consider great in the wet while leaned, just the best I have used so far. So far no nasty surprises there yet.
The combo with the BT45 rear on the front has taken me a while to get used to and find pressures I liked (and those are the max listed on the sidewalls again, I went done to the factory specs and up to max a few times to be sure... remember though YMMV) but the last few cool, dry, days I have gotten a better feel for riding the tires. I need to move a bit further forward with my body for the front to feel comfortable in faster turns, and since I am considering new bars to go back to using my Hunter Flats, I might find a bend that matches the stock height once the risers I have are taken into account. The rear feels best at steady throttle or very mild acceleration. Even the STeed's rheostat style powerband will make the tire unhappy coming out of corners if I feed too much in too fast. Likely due to the contact patch at lean due to that rounded shape. When it has slid on me, it wasn't too scary, just a "Hey ..cool it a bit". I keep in mind this is not a sport tire, but it grips as well or better than some that supposedly are

RPM at 75 (80 or so indicated) has been 4,000. I've been averaging 40 mpg

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
late update and from the looks, the end of the line on this tire.
Traction stayed pretty much the same all through the life of the tire. Not the worst I have had, certainly not the best.
By the time the replacement gets here, it will be 6,000 miles, and right now the wear bars are almost getting wear. It doesn't look it in the pics, but there is a bit of tread before they really hit.
Pics are from my Android as my camera is dead.
As of late, they have given a bit of a wobble in turns, and in the wet, are prone to following any groove or cracks. The wobble is a bit unsettling, and I think is partially caused by running a rear tire on the front. There is almost no chicken strip on the front BT45, and I was surprised to see how small it was on the 777. I got used to the foible of it while at full lean, not wanting much throttle and while I rarely scraped the pegs with this tire, I was often right on my toe sliders which I use as a warning for corner angle. The tires were okay for me while on the RTE where I rode a bit of the Sisters, and while I didn't get quite the miles I hoped, I did a lot of rather fresh chip seal miles (Especially on that Camp Wood RTE), one day of nearly 30 or 40 miles of gravel, with my every day commute, and weekend shopping (as an aside, my 4x4 nissan just turned over 500 miles for the year ... it is now used less the the proverbial Little Old Lady driving to church) as well as a trip to Memphis with a return through the hills of Arkansas I rate this as an OKAY tire. Not my first choice as a replacement, but on a trip if there was one on the shelf and I needed a tire now, would be happy to use it.

Cost per mile will be on par with what I got from the Michelin PR3 rear. So, I'd have to recommend the PR3 over this...Higher traction, better wet traction, and the better life makes it equal in cost per mile. Or heck, I even got better miles from the 705 (compared to the 777) and better cost per mile (compared to both), and what I feel is even better traction. I should note, I did most of the wet riding on this tire when it was well worn. I seemed to get lucky while it was new, and never rode in a downpour or very wet roads until yesterday while heading to work.

Pics:

well worn

The strip is right about to the end of the tread groove.

wear bar is not quite fully out yet. but it doesn't show well with the wet gravel debris stuck to the tire

another shot trying to show how close it is to the bars.

Oh, and DynaBeads and the like ... The good ones are great things. love the ones I have (forget which ones I have..not the Dyna brand..will look it up and update again)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
To add the final bits:
Total miles were 6545 (way less than I hoped, but not so bad when I consider this-->) and the cost per mile for this tire was $0.01726356 and this is below the PR3 rear barely( it was $0.0174582262) and well above the 705 bias ply ($0.0117083008) and well below the Metz Z6 (that was $0.0206626257 per mile).

The beads I am using are from the ebay site of Checkered Flag tire in Flagstaff. After the miles, the rears looked just like when I put them in. The front ones had a few that grew with a coating of rubber, but were still rolling freely, and as I used a few extra (running a rear on the front, I upped it to 1.5 ounces) I just tossed those out.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
1.5 oz? I use the counteract beads and it calls for 2 oz per tire.
Every place I looked had 1oz for a 110/80x18. I knew that old BT45 was in need of a bit more so I got 4 and kept a bit out. Worked fine & works fine on the new front. Now all I need to do I'd remember where I put the remaining.

Top Bottom