Argh the dreaded HEAT problem!

I've had 13 bikes in the past 3 years, I just like riding, doesn't matter what. ALL of them had something I didn't care for. The ST1300 heat issue is only an issue in hot weather. In cool weather it's a plus. But overall, it's such a great bike, looks, feel, function, power (125 hp is what I like the most, damned near pulls off my helmet when I hit that throttle), that I'm going to get those fairing deflectors and keep riding the bike.

thekaz

haz gone feral
For me removing the cats got rid of most of the heat. I insulated the tank which helped further ...... this summer I have been toying with no cowl or installed cowl while riding the exact same route, seems like a coin toss so far ?
I can say its not that bad compared to the right leg roasting of my ZX12R and definitely better than my pereviuosly owned naked big bore bandit

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I mucked around a fix for the heat issues on my ST1300 for years. I cut big holes in the inner fairings. I lined insulation below the seat. I jammed a car wash sponge in between the gas tank and below the seat. All helped a bit, at least making long distance riding tolerable.
Last month, a fellow ST1300 rider helped me to seal and insulate the area below the air box. He did it to his own bike and claimed it eliminated the heat issue. I was skeptical at first, but once the entire air box was removed, I saw where the heat was coming from, I understood what he was talking about.
I can say today, withouy a doubt, my crotch roasting and gasoline boiling issues are eliminated. I highly recommend this proceedure. It only took about half a hour to do once the gas tank is removed.
Kenny

Attachments

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Well today,, I performed the hot shins test on my ST,,, since it was 33c,,, and I was lightly dressed anyway. Just to remind,,, my ST is pretty much stock in the engine cooling department. However,,, on my last valve inspection, I left the inner cowls out. I did a one hour ride about town,, followed by a 45 min. evening ride. My bare shins survived,,, no problem. The seat and tank did heat up some,, but not severely. I don't think the frame got to the saturation point, and I was pretty comfortable. One other thing that might have helped,, is that my short legs require the seat be in it's lowest position, which closes up the gap with the tank. My current windshield config creates very little back pressure,,, so very little engine heat is sucked up towards the rider. I do not have the lower deflectors in place. And, I have yet to install my mirror deflectors,, which may increase my back pressure levels somewhat. I do have a 1800km ride coming up in a couple of weeks,,, and I plan to insulate the bottom of my spencerized seat,, and fashion a riders-beads seat cover to help keep the crotch area comfy'er. We shall soon see,,, Cat'

Top Bottom