Argh the dreaded HEAT problem!

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Cruising down the trace Sunday and chestnuts started roasting. First time I have noticed it and also the warmest weather since buying it in February. Have been having issues at take off with it bogging down. Do you think syncing the tb would be a good place to start? Know all the other remedies such as the inner cowl and the use of material to line under the tank. Those would be the next areas of concern.
Noobish person here so here's my questions:
1. How much trouble is syncing tb's (starter valves)? Can you do this in a garage at home (I may have someone who could help) or the mechanic?
2. Would it generate the amount of heat I experienced from the tank, lower legs etc.?

Thanks for all your help! Love this bike but Sunday was a big WOW O WOW when I was roasting LOL!

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Don't know why, but I've never been really bothered by the heat. I do wear Tourmaster pants over my jeans, so I have an extra layer of insulation between me and the tank. I've seen several bikes with a foam strip between the tank and the front of the seat to stop the air flow.

As far as syncing the starter valves, we did a couple of bikes at Vinny's tech event over the weekend. Nothing complicated, but you need the gauges to connect to the throttle bodies. The hardest part is removing the Phillips screws in the air box. If you don't have a JIS standard screwdriver, you stand a good chance of stripping out the screw heads and having to drill them out.

Syncing the throttle bodies won't cure the heat issue, but might make it run a little smoother.

John

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Have been having issues at take off with it bogging down.
That might be more a technique problem than anything else, especially if you've been riding cruisers. Get some RPMs up (not too high, maybe 1,750-2,000) as you get through the friction zone and you should take off no problem. Either that or make sure you don't have it in second gear. DAMHIKT. :rolleyes:

1. How much trouble is syncing tb's (starter valves)? Can you do this in a garage at home (I may have someone who could help) or the mechanic?
2. Would it generate the amount of heat I experienced from the tank, lower legs etc.?
The throttle body sync is lashed down at the factory and don't need actual synchronizing unless something physically happens to the parts that hold the assembly together. The adjustable parts are the starter valves, which really only matter at idle. I have an unproven pet theory that they fine tune the off-idle a bit, but even if they do, it shouldn't be enough to cause excessive heat. Syncing the starter valves is easy if you're handy with a wrench; it just requires a 4-way manometer. I have a Carbtune II that I lend out when I'm not using it, which is most of the time.

I have a Bead Rider seat cover that puts a gap between your wedding tackle and the saddle, allowing air to circulate. That might help.

One other question: what are you wearing when riding?

--Mark

OP
OP
SmashVol
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Alright, thanks a bunch and of course there was a tech event when I had to work :( LOL. I wear Olympia gear over my clothes also. Have a Corbin seat which allows some of heat up. Never noticed any heat until Sunday either so caught me by surprise. As far as the bogging down, may just need a good tune up. Got 45,000 on it now was supposed to have been serviced when I bought it but.......
Hey I live in Donelson area, where u hail from?

OP
OP
SmashVol
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
That might be more a technique problem than anything else, especially if you've been riding cruisers. Get some RPMs up (not too high, maybe 1,750-2,000) as you get through the friction zone and you should take off no problem. Either that or make sure you don't have it in second gear. DAMHIKT. :rolleyes:

Know what you mean on that as I seem to always be in Second LOL

The throttle body sync is lashed down at the factory and don't need actual synchronizing unless something physically happens to the parts that hold the assembly together. The adjustable parts are the starter valves, which really only matter at idle. I have an unproven pet theory that they fine tune the off-idle a bit, but even if they do, it shouldn't be enough to cause excessive heat. Syncing the starter valves is easy if you're handy with a wrench; it just requires a 4-way manometer. I have a Carbtune II that I lend out when I'm not using it, which is most of the time.

I have a Bead Rider seat cover that puts a gap between your wedding tackle and the saddle, allowing air to circulate. That might help.

One other question: what are you wearing when riding?

--Mark
Olympia X-Moto gear with Alpinestars Boots

OP
OP
SmashVol
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Don't know why, but I've never been really bothered by the heat. I do wear Tourmaster pants over my jeans, so I have an extra layer of insulation between me and the tank. I've seen several bikes with a foam strip between the tank and the front of the seat to stop the air flow.

As far as syncing the starter valves, we did a couple of bikes at Vinny's tech event over the weekend. Nothing complicated, but you need the gauges to connect to the throttle bodies. The hardest part is removing the Phillips screws in the air box. If you don't have a JIS standard screwdriver, you stand a good chance of stripping out the screw heads and having to drill them out.

Syncing the throttle bodies won't cure the heat issue, but might make it run a little smoother.

John
Sounds like it is time to buy some insulating material and get to packing.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
You need to install the faring deflectors as this makes a huge difference in the amount of heat you feel coming up from the motor.

OP
OP
SmashVol
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
You need to install the faring deflectors as this makes a huge difference in the amount of heat you feel coming up from the motor.
Was looking at those too as I'm not the smallest person and sure that would help. Thanks

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Just pack the little guys in ice.....keep 'em from roasting...............:coolit:............................ff

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
PM - Email sent, standing by the white courtesy phone if needed :rofl1: :call:

Bike
ST1300 ABS 2005
I wrapped my header pipes (all 4) with about 1/2 inch spacing width.
this did help slightly, but what really helped was investing in full length good quality RST brand motorcycle boots

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I live just West of Spring Hill. If you like to ride the Trace, give me a shout. We're not far from the Trace and ride it almost week, especially to the Loveless to grab a bite to eat.

On the bogging down issue. I've had the ST1300 for 3 years and never had a bogging issue, but I bought a GL1800 Wing last fall and have been riding it quite a bit more than the 1300. This past weekend I took the 1300 to Vinny's and for the first few hours, I thought the 1300 was bogging down. It wasn't bogging, I had just gotten used to the Wing which will idle away from a stop in second gear. It didn't take too long to adjust back to the ST's torque curve. Keep the RPM's up in the power band and it is far from sluggish, especially in the 6000~7000 range. :D

John

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Some people, like me, are very heat sensitive. Others can't stand the cold. The 1300 is a very very hot bike if heat bothers you. There is no way to make it go away, just ways to deal with it. I love the bead rider (the best single thing you can do). I also put after market pipes on mine which got the catalytic converters out from under my feet. I also tried to keep my feet outboard on the pegs when cruising. That is the best I could adapt. It will always be hot.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Never had any real heat issues with the ST. Sometimes it seems like the wind direction has something to do with how much heat I feel on my legs. (always wear boots. over pants or mesh pants) I've worn shorts under my mesh pants without feeling much heat on long trips. For my chestnuts I run a strip of insulating foam stuck to the tank where the front edge of the sat butts up to the tank.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Since none of my old posts are here any more I'll re comment.
Back in 08 I removed the inner cowls and have never looked back with the heat problem. That, and a good TB sync. is all I've done.

Top Bottom