Argh the dreaded HEAT problem!

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Chevron Delo diesel oil solved all of my heat problems except for when I'm doing a lot of decelerating in the mountains. That's the only time my fuel tank heats up now.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Chevron Delo diesel oil solved all of my heat problems except for when I'm doing a lot of decelerating in the mountains. That's the only time my fuel tank heats up now.
Your bike runs hot when decelerating? What do you suppose is the mechanism behind that puzzle?

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Your bike runs hot when decelerating? What do you suppose is the mechanism behind that puzzle?
I really have no idea unless during extended deceleration there is less airflow through the airbox so the heat increases under the fuel tank. That's the only time I hear the fuel boil in the tank.

Bike
GL1800A/ST1300A
I had the dreaded heat problem also. tried everything--still hot. I finally got a set of Baker Airwings, don't like how they look but they draw a ton of clean air onto my legs and shins. When it's cold out I just close them and use that heat to my advantage. Also I have a set of used Honda fairing deflectors. PM me if you are interested….Thanks, Chris….

Bike
2004 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you are seeing heat issues this early in the year, you are going to need to follow Car Salesman's link above or you will not be riding the bike at all in a few months!

Bike
2005 ST13
If you can't resolve the "bogging down" issue, then i'd suggest replacing the in-tank fuel pump.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Starter valve sync is easy, makes the engine smoother, by all means do it, but it won't have any effect on the heat.
I disagree, especially for those that have more heat out of the right side.

There is also an adjustment at the TB to match cylinders 1&3 and 2&4 (left and right). You adjust this with the carb styx at aprox. 3k rpm. When correct, the levels are even at idle and at 3k rpm.

This evens out the load at cruise throttle position for less heat.

This step was lost in the ST site crash.

OP
OP
SmashVol

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
That's what I worry about. Getting the heat packing material, just got to find a manometer.
If you are seeing heat issues this early in the year, you are going to need to follow Car Salesman's link above or you will not be riding the bike at all in a few months!

I just purchased a 2006 st1300 and have discovered the dreaded heat problem.
I've been reading these forums and some of the suggested corrections are installing the Honda faring deflectors or the Baker deflectors. How do they deflect the air? Is the air forced back under the bike? How do they keep the heat off of your thighs?
Before I drop several hundred dollars on these things I'd like to get a good idea how these work. Thanks

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I just purchased a 2006 st1300 and have discovered the dreaded heat problem.
I've been reading these forums and some of the suggested corrections are installing the Honda faring deflectors or the Baker deflectors. How do they deflect the air? Is the air forced back under the bike? How do they keep the heat off of your thighs?
Before I drop several hundred dollars on these things I'd like to get a good idea how these work. Thanks
It takes the heat and keeps most of it off you, there is a big difference with deflectors and without.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
It takes the heat and keeps most of it off you, there is a big difference with deflectors and without.
They do deflect the hot air but also the cool air! I usually stick my hand out as a scoop to get the cooler air directed towards me.

There is also an adjustment at the TB to match cylinders 1&3 and 2&4 (left and right). You adjust this with the carb styx at aprox. 3k rpm. When correct, the levels are even at idle and at 3k rpm.

This step was lost in the ST site crash.
And where can we find this procedure?

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
It has been well documented on this forum that some bikes run much warmer than others. I happen to have one of the the toaster oven bikes. I guess you can count yourself lucky that you don't. I'm always amused when the heat discussion comes up by all of those that let it be known that there is no such problem.

Bike
2003 ST1300
OK, I'll bite. I am one of the 'lucky' ones, I guess, who doesn't seem to suffer with the heat problem with my 1300. I ride year-round here in the southwest and, even in 100+ rides home, I haven't run into the issue. My '82 CB900F caused much more wedding tackle cooking issues in the spring than the 1300 does in the middle of summer. I have a question for the sufferers: how is your seat adjusted? Being taller than average I have my seat all the way up. It is a Sargent which is thinner than the stock seat but that should make things worse in my estimation. I am thinking about going back to the stock seat to try to get a bit more height between the seat and the pegs but I don't want the become a victim of the toaster oven if I don't have to.

Thanks

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Its not just the heat that comes up between the seat and tank. That part I solved. Some heat insulation material put under the seat bracket and ran up under the tank took care of that. It's the heat that the fairing dumps onto your calf's that I haven't solved, and I've done must of the fixes posted of this forum.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Having owned an 86' Concours that would turn your calves pink I have no issue :eek::

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Its not just the heat that comes up between the seat and tank. That part I solved. Some heat insulation material put under the seat bracket and ran up under the tank took care of that. It's the heat that the fairing dumps onto your calf's that I haven't solved, and I've done must of the fixes posted of this forum.
Turn the motor off and the heat is gone! It is a 1300CC motor burning gasoline that will make some heat!! :flame

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
You need to install the faring deflectors as this makes a huge difference in the amount of heat you feel coming up from the motor.
+2 ... I baked my legs last summer after buying my ST last July. When It's cool enough that I wear my Olympia Ranger pants, I barely feel it. But then it IS cooler outside then. This spring, I bought the Honda fairing deflectors. OH MY !! Definitely makes a difference. There is still a pocket of warm air around your legs, but that blast of heat right from the engine is deflected around you. I feel it was $170 (?) very well spent. Besides, I think it gives the fairing and bike in general a much nicer look. Honda shoulda put em on standard.

Top Bottom