Argh the dreaded HEAT problem!

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Turn the motor off and the heat is gone! It is a 1300CC motor burning gasoline that will make some heat!! :flame
Holy cow, I never thought about that. I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years and never realized that they generate heat. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Between the guys that make this comment and the ones that say there is no heat issue, these discussions never go very far. After all its all in our heads.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Holy cow, I never thought about that. I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years and never realized that they generate heat. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Between the guys that make this comment and the ones that say there is no heat issue, these discussions never go very far. After all its all in our heads.
yep.. just all depends on the bike. My ShortTime '04 had no heat issue, just once I felt a warm shin on my way to FerrySToc.
The '05... it can definitely generate some heat. Wear full height boots and don't crowd the gas tank and I can manage. But it is defenitly warmer then the other bike.

I like the looks of the deflectors, but I don't like them interfering with putting my legs forward.

I just bought a 2006 st1300 and am getting to enjoy the extra heat on my legs. I've read that there are two types of wind deflectors available, the honda fairing deflectors and the Baker air wings. Does anyone have any good pictures of what they look like when they are installed?
Thanks

I just bought a 2006 st1300 and am getting to enjoy the extra heat on my legs. I've read that there are two types of wind deflectors available, the honda fairing deflectors and the Baker air wings. Does anyone have any good pictures of what they look like when they are installed?
Check this linky ...

In a pinch, you can also do a Google Image search, "st1300 fairing deflectors"

Thanks for the link. I looked at them but they are the standard sales images. I was hoping to see something close up and maybe from the underside. I'm probably going to have to buy a set, the heat gets pretty intense.
Thanks

I've been riding my second ST1100, 1999 std., since 2006 and I'm wanting to upgrade to maybe the ST1300A for the following advantages: less metal to rust, ABS, no timing belts to change, hopefully more upright riding position, electric windshield, better braking, quicker turning and here is a big one, less cockpit heat. And maybe a warranty. Everyone please comment. The lack of cruise control is mystifying. Does marketing have people that actually ride motorcycles?

The other bike I'm going to look over closely is the Yamaha FJR1300ES. The ergonomics concern me as does the reputation of the early models baking the rider. Also the ST1300 should be easier to check valve lash, at least the ST1100 is easy. I don't really trust BMW anymore so that is out. I like the styling and simple tech of the Moto Guzzi but a minimum of six hours to a dealer and not so great factory speed of warranty issues. I've even considered a Harley Davidson FLH model but my riding style is too aggressive for those and the transmissions clunk and clang like steel trash cans on garbage pick up day.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I've been riding my second ST1100, 1999 std., since 2006 and I'm wanting to upgrade to maybe the ST1300A for the following advantages: less metal to rust, ABS, no timing belts to change, hopefully more upright riding position, electric windshield, better braking, quicker turning and here is a big one, less cockpit heat. And maybe a warranty. Everyone please comment. The lack of cruise control is mystifying. Does marketing have people that actually ride motorcycles?

The other bike I'm going to look over closely is the Yamaha FJR1300ES. The ergonomics concern me as does the reputation of the early models baking the rider. Also the ST1300 should be easier to check valve lash, at least the ST1100 is easy. I don't really trust BMW anymore so that is out. I like the styling and simple tech of the Moto Guzzi but a minimum of six hours to a dealer and not so great factory speed of warranty issues. I've even considered a Harley Davidson FLH model but my riding style is too aggressive for those and the transmissions clunk and clang like steel trash cans on garbage pick up day.
I owned two ST1100s and put about 180k miles on them before the 2003 ST 1300 I have owned for 10 years and can tell you that the 1100, while not exactly cool, is much less hot than the 1300. There are some tricks to decreasing the heat, but generally a FI bike is going to run hotter than a comparable carb bike.
FWIW, I too have been looking at that FJR 1300 ES. I am more of a V4 guy and have not owned an inline for 23 years, but I do like that Yamaha.

Bike
2007 ST-1300
Here's how you fix your heat problem: www.donferrario.com/st1300
My new to me 2007 ST1300 is hotter than I can stand. No doubt the hottest bike I've owned. It actually takes the joy out of riding for me.
I've been reading every single post I can find on this issue here and decided to do the above. I discovered it's already been done. I can't imagine how bad it must have been if that actually helped? I don't know as I have no comparison. I think I'll re-work my inards drilling some holes and give that a try. If no workie, I'll spend some more coin on the deflectors.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Trust me - going from an ST1100 to some (not all) ST1300s, you will think you just bought an oven to ride - especially if you raise the seat up to the top notch. ;-) You might look at ST1100 ABSII - you'll find the brakes close to the ST1300's stopping power. Risers are easy to add to the ST1100. There's also a 'gadget' called a STEFI Plate that cuts wayback on the air coming up from the forks. I have my timing belts changed at 100,000 miles so that's not such a big deal unless you really ride an awful lot. I also have a prototype adjustable windshield for the ST1100 made by MadStad Engineering and a rough plan for an electric version - just haven't got around to it. BTW, I have 15,000+ miles on ST1300 rentals so I am familiar with the ST1300. ;-) Just some ideas for you to ponder.

Bike
2007 ST-1300
My new to me 2007 ST1300 is hotter than I can stand. No doubt the hottest bike I've owned. It actually takes the joy out of riding for me.
I've been reading every single post I can find on this issue here and decided to do the above. I discovered it's already been done. I can't imagine how bad it must have been if that actually helped? I don't know as I have no comparison. I think I'll re-work my inards drilling some holes and give that a try. If no workie, I'll spend some more coin on the deflectors.
Looking at another post with pictures I already have the Honda wind deflectors, (thought that was stock) gosh looks like the previous owner already did everything to help with this heat issue. I guess it was too much for him too. That's why I got a super clean highly accessorized bike with super low mileage so easily. It's in the 60's low 70's now, I can't imagine Florida's summer heat on this bike. I hope I can get used to it, someone may be getting a good deal on this bike.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Hey Dragon,,, I have been riding my '04 ST for about 3 months now, and admittedly these were not summer months. I do not have the wind deflectors yet, and have not had any serious heating issues. Actually,, the warm seat has been kind of nice in the sept-dec weather. However, I have noted that the tank and frame can heat up a surprising amount as well, and the potential for too much summer heat has me reading everything on this site and others about potential fixes. Many are innovative, and each provide incremental improvements to those who needed to employ them. The biggest single common partial cure is complete removal of the left and right inner cowlings. Are you saying the yours are already out (not just drilled or slotted) ?? There are another 4 or 5 steps to try as well. So I am really not worrried that I won't be able to manage. So far,,, I am really lovin' this bike !! Cat'

I just purchased a 2006 st1300 and have discovered the dreaded heat problem.
I've been reading these forums and some of the suggested corrections are installing the Honda faring deflectors or the Baker deflectors. How do they deflect the air? Is the air forced back under the bike? How do they keep the heat off of your thighs?
Before I drop several hundred dollars on these things I'd like to get a good idea how these work. Thanks
It seems obvious from looking at them, that they redirect the hot air coming off the valve covers further outward.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I had the heat problem pretty bad on my '06, and made a set of homemade Baker Air Wings ( for about 9$). It did not eliminate the heat ( esp in summers here in Georgia), but it DID make it bearable. MIne direct fresh air up toward the seat/tank area, and blow away the heat pretty well.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I've been reading every single post I can find on this issue here and decided to do the above. I discovered it's already been done. I can't imagine how bad it must have been if that actually helped?
Dragonslayer, I ride all summer long in Florida and really don't see my bike as being any hotter than any other bike I've owned. I'd be happy to meet you halfway and let you ride mine to see if there's a difference to you. I have the inner cowls removed and have no added insulation on my bike. Yes, it's hot in the summer but so is every other bike I have.
I disagree with adding all of the insulation. I think the best thing is to get that wind moving thru the bike.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I agree with Tim, about the volume of air moved past the engine and radiator. I worked in an industry to used air curtains as insulative barriers, by directing the flow through holes and slots. Putting holes and slots in the inner cowls is not going to be as effective as completely removing them. The goal is to dilute the trapped hot air with as much frontal air flow as possible. If you have structural concerns,, then maintain the corner portions of the inner cowls that support the outer cowls. Next, the lower air deflectors can direct the exhausting air flow out and away from the riders legs. Just take the inner cowls out completely,,, and give it a try to see what you think. If you don't like it,, then put them back. I will also likely be insulating a few spots,,, like the storage pockets,,, not that keeping a chocolate bar in there is a good idea anyway !! Cat'

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
The only 1300 HEAT that really, really bothers me, is the radiation that comes off the lower Aluminum main frames on BOTH sides down around the Ankles & Footpeg areas. On my bike, this area REALLY COOKS, on any rides above 88-90 deg.

Those upper heat areas don't bother me that much.

A good heatshield between the footpegs & the frames would do it. Gonna work on that.

Bike
2007 ST-1300
Tim,
What a generous offer...thanks. I'm going to remove the inner cowls wrap the headers and see how it feels. I was prematurely bummed over this and when I see the great reply's and other posts on this board regarding the heat issue there are more options for me to try. I ride West/Central Florida counties regular. Pasco, Hernando, Citrus, Marion. It takes several hours for me to get to good riding zones from the crazy metropolis I live in.
Happy to meet you half way sometime.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Top Bottom