Garauld's Hydration system

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Hey all, anyone currently using the hydration system that Garauld makes for the 1300 with the MCL crash bars? Trying to find out if there are any issues with that setup.

Thanks,
Skip

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Hey Bill, I bought a jug and tried but the MCL bars lean forward so they're in the way of keeping the jug vertical and centered on the peg. I bought a Polar Bear cooler today and put my 100oz Camelbak in there. Looks like it will work fine until I camp with gear on the back seat.

Skip

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey all, anyone currently using the hydration system that Garauld makes for the 1300 with the MCL crash bars? Trying to find out if there are any issues with that setup.

Thanks,
Skip

I've used one for a year or so with the MCL bars. Fits fine. Nice set up.

Bill

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #

I've used one for a year or so with the MCL bars. Fits fine. Nice set up.

Bill
I even emailed Garauld several times the other day and he said that it didn't look like it would work because of the forward lean of the bars. He thought it would put too much pressure on the attachment bolts from the peg. Would you happen to have any pics of the setup?

Skip

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
This is the only pic I have. As you can see it was taken after the bike slid down the road on it's right side. The MCL bar on that side was tweaked a little forward so is closer than it is in the usual, uncrashed, mode. There was no touching between the cooler and the bar and it worked well. The cooler was unscathed. I tried to paint the cooler black, but could not get any paint to stay on, so the red color kept coming through.

Bill

Attachments

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I'd be interested if Skip doesn't want it.
Thanks for the pic Bill. I guess for now I'll stick with my current plan. I bought a 12pk Polar Bear cooler and a new 100oz Camelbak tp put inside.
Ken, if you're still interested I'll pass the offer on to you.

Skip

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Hey Bill, I bought a jug and tried but the MCL bars lean forward so they're in the way of keeping the jug vertical and centered on the peg. I bought a Polar Bear cooler today and put my 100oz Camelbak in there. Looks like it will work fine until I camp with gear on the back seat.

For those who aren't going to be piling a bunch of camping equipment on the back seat, HERE's the hydration system I used on my ST1100 that worked quite well. It should be very easily adaptable to the ST1300.

The system had the advantage of a larger than normal capacity of water that was easy to add ice to. It came in VERY handy during a 6000 mile, 2009 trip in August while traveling through the western US where temps were over 100 degrees and the humidity was very low. I was downing water like crazy while making good time on the road.

Bike
05 GL18/99 ST11
i have had various Drink Containers on many Bikes and currently, my GL1800 has a cooler mounted on the Right Floorboard.
However, the ST1100 just didn't have the space to duplicate the Wings setup.

i tired of bungees of the various CamelBacks Reservoirs and other brand styles.

a few searches here for 1100's setups, many kept leading to the Garauld TechWorks LLC.
after getting some Old Photos from other long term members using his setup, i contacted Garauld and purchased.

a few days after, the package arrived well packed and within 10 minutes of opening i had it mounted and ready to go!
i found it to be of excellent work and sturdy to endure many miles!

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Here is the setup on my 05 ST1300. The Gerald Hydration system worked perfectly with the MCL crash bars.

It also worked on my Super Tenere, and is now used on my BMW K1600GT. Highly recommend this hydration solution.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Here is the setup on my 05 ST1300. The Gerald Hydration system worked perfectly with the MCL crash bars.

It also worked on my Super Tenere, and is now used on my BMW K1600GT. Highly recommend this hydration solution.
Does your heel clear the hydration tank? My heel (and I have small feet) comes very close to the rear footpeg when I'm riding. My bike is stock - no change to the footpegs.

Thanks,
Skip
Skip, What did you end up using? I usually pack a big duffel across the pillion seat with tent, etc. inside. The only way I can see a hydration system working for me is a flat bag - like a camelback bladder strapped on top of the duffel and either insulated or wrapped in a wet towel.
Peter

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Does your heel clear the hydration tank?

Skip, What did you end up using? I usually pack a big duffel across the pillion seat with tent, etc. inside. The only way I can see a hydration system working for me is a flat bag - like a camelback bladder strapped on top of the duffel and either insulated or wrapped in a wet towel.
Peter
Peter, I ended up using the Motojug system which is a 1 gal setup. I've been very happy with it with almost a year and about 13K miles and I don't see any signs of wear other than the black that I bought is starting to fade. It's pretty easy to add/remove in between trips. My opinion is that if you have crash bars (I have MCL) you can snug it up to those and it stays rock solid the entire time while being perched on the passenger footrest. The cooler slips in/out easily for refilling ice, water or end of day or trip. I am a size 10.5 - 11 foot and I don't really hit it much with my heel but you must be aware when you're lowering off the centerstand if sitting on the seat. I haven't had an issue with it but I feel it's possible. It's no different if the system wasn't there but the pegs were down anyway. It's not like they're any lower.
Until something better comes out or I change bikes at this time I would purchase again. Hope this helps!

Skip

Last edited:

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Does your heel clear the hydration tank? My heel (and I have small feet) comes very close to the rear footpeg when I'm riding. My bike is stock - no change to the footpegs.

My size 13's don't have any problems not hitting the Garauld system while riding. I have to be careful when I put my foot down, however, as it's not too hard to get your foot/ankle caught under it if your foot goes back very much.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I bought a Camelbak type backpack at WalMart (about $25). I removed the bladder (holds 1/2 gallon) and put it in my Nelson Rigg tank bag.

I added some velcro to the hose and the bag. When I make a pit stop on the road I simply remove the bladder and fill it up with ice and water.

Has been working well for several trips in the heat. I was worried the velcro would not work well but it holds fine at high speeds.

If I move the bag back towards my body it prevents the bag from hitting the horn.

Obviously not as good as the Garauld system.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
My heels never rubbed against the cooler. Pegs are standard on this setup. One of the main reason's I like this setup is that it is so easy to refill with water and ice. However it holds so much that I have rarely needed to refill during the day.

Here is the same system on my BMW. I added insulation sleeves to the drinking tube to try and keep the water in the tube cooler.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: Garauld's Hydration system - ST1100

Four years and ~35K and it's proven to be the ultimate hydration farkle on my SSMST. I was the STrider that Gary graciously sent an undrilled unit to, so I could make the ST1100 drill/cut pattern for him. Thanks, Gary!

thumb_IMG_1758.JPG
images album: http://www.st-riders.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=61

I tried many types of hydration arrangements over the years, but this is the absolute best, IMNSHO.

John

Last edited:

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Is Garauld still doing those for ST1100's and 1300's? Or did he move on to FJR's?

Top Bottom