Help before I do something stupid

Bike
2007 ST1300
I chickened out and took the fork to the local non-Honda MC shop, where the tech kindly agreed to remove the bolt and didn't want to charge me (I slipped him $20 in thanks).

I then tried to source a new bolt from Honda. Backordered and not available in Canada until September. A very few were available in stock with dealers in the US, but getting one of them wasn't practical. I was able to source a similar automotive bolt, but because it needs to fit in a recess and not impinge on the the front axle sliding past, I had to grind the head down to take off about 3mm. Leaving less depth for the hex driver to bite on re-installation. I was pretty careful when torquing up that bolt, I can tell you. But its done and all seems well.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've taken those bolts out a few times and never paid much attention to the height of the hex head part so now I'm curious, what size is the bolt, and what's the difference in head measurement between the std. bolt and the Honda version?

Bike
2007 ST1300
I've taken those bolts out a few times and never paid much attention to the height of the hex head part so now I'm curious, what size is the bolt, and what's the difference in head measurement between the std. bolt and the Honda version?
It looks like the Honda bolt has a 6mm head, and the automotive bolt I sourced had an 8mm head, so I guess I ground it down by about 2mm.242903

Attachments

Top Bottom