Bleeding the PCV - Question?

Bike
ST1300 - Black
I bled my brakes the other weekend. All caliber's were bled and in the correct order too. When I bled the PVC, the thing I noticed, was that the fluid came out very slowly. Even though I open the bleeder valve about 3/4 of a turn. Thinking back on it, the PCV seemed to have some kind of restriction.

Is this normal?

I do notice a burnt brake pad smell after riding. My thinking is that something is making the rear brake run hotter?
Note: I did just replaced my SMC.

Thoughts:)

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
When I bled the PVC, the thing I noticed, was that the fluid came out very slowly. Even though I open the bleeder valve about 3/4 of a turn. Thinking back on it, the PCV seemed to have some kind of restriction.
Yes it is normal.... but you can help spped it up by pumping the smc

this pic may help;
brakes.png

PS edit;

To see if your back is running hotter than the fronts, you can do a (CAREFULLY) finger touch test... while the rear does run warmer than the fronts, it should not be super burning hot after a normal ride.
Touch the fronts and if you can keep yr finger there for a second it'sprob ok...then try the rear. The burn sense kicks in very quickly above 160f and you'll know!
Also there's the spin test, On CS you should be able to get a full turn+ with a hand spin

Last edited:
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I bled my brakes the other weekend. All caliber's were bled and in the correct order too. When I bled the PVC, the thing I noticed, was that the fluid came out very slowly. Even though I open the bleeder valve about 3/4 of a turn. Thinking back on it, the PCV seemed to have some kind of restriction.

Is this normal?

I do notice a burnt brake pad smell after riding. My thinking is that something is making the rear brake run hotter?
Note: I did just replaced my SMC.

Just curious, were you using a vacuum bleeder such as a Mity-Vac or were you using the brake pedal? I ask this because I have seen this comment before about fluid coming out of the PCV very slowly. Though it does seem to come out a little slower when I do it, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as slow as what I've read about, but then I use the old fashioned approach of pressing on the rear brake pedal to force fluid through the circuit.

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I think using the pedal works the best I recently did mine when I replaced the SMC went through the entire process using the Mighty VAC but the rear pedal was still a bit soft so I did it manualy using the pedal and lever and it worked out perfectly.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The P in PCV stands for "proportional," which means the valve only lets a fraction of the force applied at the inlet through to the outlet.

--Mark

OP
OP
Steven631
Bike
ST1300 - Black
Thanks guy for the information.

Yes - I did use a vacuum bleeder, to bleed the system. Ran thru. The process twice.

As for doing a touch test. The front are a nice warm, the rear disc is like, I can touch it but my mind says stop.
I'm going to my father shop this weekend, I'll get a read with a thermal gun there, and post up the results.

And the proportional valve making the brake fluid, come out slowly at the proportional bleed point, makes sense.
But I will keep an eye on this, and post up any update, good an bad.

I have to add that I do have a good feel on both brake levers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom