Mixing a new rear with a BT023 front

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I've always run Metzlers on my bike and have been happy with them. Last summer I was in need of a new front and rear tire and decided to give the Battleaxes a try....3,500 miles later I'm on the wear bars on the rear with a squared off tire. Interestingly enough, the front looks brand new. I'm considering buying a new ME-880 for the rear, but I've never mixed tires before.

Opinions? Thoughts?

For what it's worth, the bike needs to get from Canada to Mexico and back in about a month from now, so leaving the rear on until it's gone isn't an option. I own a No Mar so changing before I go is much more cost effective than changing on the road.

Finally, the BT023's are horrible tires for cornering.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Interesting ... I found the BT023's the best feeling tire into, through, and out of a turn. Neutral throughout (no dive in, no forcing it to turn in). And I found grip to be superior, and they had none of the annoying buzz of many other tires. The rear went 6818 miles, the front 9617mi before I pulled them. And no, I wasn't easy on the tires, there wasn't much left for chicken strips.

Regarding mixing, sure, I do it without hesitation. It just takes you a couple hundred miles to get used to any new tire (whether matched or not).

FYI, the ME8800 will last a lot of miles but is horrible for grip on wet roads, and it will wear into an annoying buzz. My had a very close call with a ditch during a rainstorm ... the rear ME880 lost grip in a corner and caused a serious drift. The rear tire grip was poor enough that it never caught and high-sided me. I just rode it through the corner, luckily. I pulled mine at 10683 miles (just about 2/3 worn down) and will never run an ME880 again.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I've mixed all kinds of tires....my fronts (no matter what brand) last about twice what the rears do.....presently have an 023 front and PR2 rear.....I like the 023s handling better than the Michelins.....next tires will be the BT T30s......haven't run a Metzler since the '70s....got nothing for input there.....Interesting reports on Shinkos.....good mileage and handling......haven't tried them myself.......Tipster's a fan of them...........good luck and enjoy the ride...................ff

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Also ran a ME880 rear. Was on the '04 bike when I got it (and I put a matching 880 on the front).

Agreed they are not the best in the wet, but they do last quite awhile.
Seemed to really like following tar snakes too.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I've always run Metzlers on my bike and have been happy with them. Last summer I was in need of a new front and rear tire and decided to give the Battleaxes a try....3,500 miles later I'm on the wear bars on the rear with a squared off tire. Interestingly enough, the front looks brand new. I'm considering buying a new ME-880 for the rear, but I've never mixed tires before.

Opinions? Thoughts?

For what it's worth, the bike needs to get from Canada to Mexico and back in about a month from now, so leaving the rear on until it's gone isn't an option. I own a No Mar so changing before I go is much more cost effective than changing on the road.

Finally, the BT023's are horrible tires for cornering.
For the ST1300 - BT020s were ok, BT021s were the biggest POS tires I ever mounted, and finally I absolutely love everything about the BT023, especiallly their wet weather grip and confidence inspiring handling. I run 42F and 42R. I have not used the 030s yet but hear good things. However, I heard good things about the 021s too and they sucked! Right now I buy the 023s because they are relatively cheap. I ran them on my VFR too.

Tire choice is subjective; find the motorcycle tire that fits your bikes specs that you like and stick with it. Most modern street tires are better than most street riders anyway. I like both BT023s and PR2s on my ST1300 and have been forced to mix brands several times with no perceptable handling issues.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Which battlax did you run?

Bridgestone T30 GT is great for me.

I've mixed tires on all bikes I've owned no problems.

OP
OP
ocho nueve

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Which battlax did you run?

Bridgestone T30 GT is great for me.

I've mixed tires on all bikes I've owned no problems.
The 023GT. Horrible milage for me and the front seemed to have a taller sidewall than a Metz, which I wasn't a fan of.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Only thing I am not thrilled about on the BT023 is the stiff sidewall when mounting. I'm getting too old to work that hard!
True dat. I've mounted a few for others, and have had a serious challenge getting them on the rims, even spooning them with well-lubed beads. I mounted mine by myself and that was enough to steer me away from another set for my bike.

Bike
92 ST1100
Interesting ... I found the BT023's the best feeling tire into, through, and out of a turn. Neutral throughout (no dive in, no forcing it to turn in). And I found grip to be superior, and they had none of the annoying buzz of many other tires. The rear went 6818 miles, the front 9617mi before I pulled them. And no, I wasn't easy on the tires, there wasn't much left for chicken strips.

Regarding mixing, sure, I do it without hesitation. It just takes you a couple hundred miles to get used to any new tire (whether matched or not).

FYI, the ME8800 will last a lot of miles but is horrible for grip on wet roads, and it will wear into an annoying buzz. My had a very close call with a ditch during a rainstorm ... the rear ME880 lost grip in a corner and caused a serious drift. The rear tire grip was poor enough that it never caught and high-sided me. I just rode it through the corner, luckily. I pulled mine at 10683 miles (just about 2/3 worn down) and will never run an ME880 again.
+1 for the BT023's;).

Had a similar issue with the ME880's on my XS1100 Venturer:eek:.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm one that likes the BT023s for the handling edge they have over Pilot Roads. I came back to the 023s after running PR2s and 3s 4 years in search of better mileage. I never got more than 9400 miles on a PR3 rear. On GT spec 023s I've made 8000 miles with maybe 1000 left.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I'm another fan of the 023s. Just took one off the front before Camp- STOC that had 11,000 miles on and had some tread left. Mounted another 023 and it is a good match for the rear Hankook CT. Remember keep an eye on the tire pressures for longer life!!!

My:tc1:

Last edited:

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The 023gt's are the best handling tire I've had on the bike.........but.......at 3500 miles the sides are balling up and cupping. I have not hammered these tires and was routinely getting 8k from the 020's. With the 020's the front would show wear at this mileage, this 023 looks new......the rear however is not looking promising at all. 42 front and rear before every ride. Back to 020's I guess....image.jpg

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am very happy with the T30's they handle very well I only have a few miles on them so can't say how they will last but they feel like a really good tire. I also ran an 880 but didn't like the lack of grip in the wet.

Top Bottom