Boots Which touring boots would you recommend?

Cucho

Carlos
Bike
2007 ST 1300A
Good day fellow STers,

I have a pair of Alpinestars S-MX 1 boots which are good for short, dry rides. These are more for a sport bike. I'm looking to invest on long ride/touring boots, and I was looking at the Alpinestars Alpha Touring ones. Has anybody have experience with these ones?

Recommendations/suggestions are welcomed.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Dunno if avail on your side of the pond (nor if they fit your feet), but I'm sold to my Daytona Road Star GTX GoreTex boots...
Comfy, excellent protection, not too warm nor too cold (I use them year round), good sense of touch on shifter and brake, absolutely dry... can ride through days of downpours with them, not a single drop gets inside... but their also absolutely fine in 40?C/100?F summer climate...
One can even send them in for getting repairs (like having new soles vulcanized on and such...) for a very decent price...

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have a pair of Combat Lite boots from Aerostich. They are made by SIDI to stich ' design. I just had my soles replaced after three years of constant use. My feet have never gotten wet or even damp. They would be the last pair you ever need.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I have a pair of Combat Lite boots from Aerostich. They are made by SIDI to stich ' design. I just had my soles replaced after three years of constant use. My feet have never gotten wet or even damp. They would be the last pair you ever need.
Another vote for the Aerostich Combat Lites. Top quality, comfortable, easy on/off boot. I've ridden all day in the rain with them and not had problems. Just keep in treated. Once broken in (and they ARE stiff when they're new) they are quite comfortable to walk in.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
What treatment to the Combats need and is this true for all/most touring boots. Out my way we don't get much rain and I try to avoid it.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I picked up a pair of BILT Hipora boots from Cycle Gear, this is my 2nd season with them. They are breathable, water-proof, comfortable and easy on/off.
For $49.95 these are an amazing value and they have wide sizes, which I have trouble finding.

Dunno if avail on your side of the pond (nor if they fit your feet), but I'm sold to my Daytona Road Star GTX GoreTex boots...
Comfy, excellent protection, not too warm nor too cold (I use them year round), good sense of touch on shifter and brake, absolutely dry... can ride through days of downpours with them, not a single drop gets inside... but their also absolutely fine in 40?C/100?F summer climate...
One can even send them in for getting repairs (like having new soles vulcanized on and such...) for a very decent price...
I have these boots too and they are the best boots that I have ever owned. After you recover from the initial price these boots rock. I use mine year round too and they work fine in the desert heat of Arizona. Hot cold wet or dry, it does not make a difference. When, and if, I wear these boots out, I will be more than happy to lay down my money for another pair.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Another vote for the Aerostich Combat Lites. Top quality, comfortable, easy on/off boot. I've ridden all day in the rain with them and not had problems. Just keep in treated. Once broken in (and they ARE stiff when they're new) they are quite comfortable to walk in.
I bet I've tried these boots on at least three different times over five years at the Aerostich showroom. If you have a wide foot, they're a no-go. Very nice boot for an average or narrow width foot, but I'll never be able to wear them with my moderately wide size 10 foot. I can't even get my foot through the ankle opening.

Good luck, Ken

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I have these boots too and they are the best boots that I have ever owned. After you recover from the initial price these boots rock. I use mine year round too and they work fine in the desert heat of Arizona. Hot cold wet or dry, it does not make a difference. When, and if, I wear these boots out, I will be more than happy to lay down my money for another pair.
I have the Daytona M-Star GTX, which is essentially the same boot with a raised heel and sole. I hated spending the money, but they are an outstanding boot and, with a lower Works shock, made riding the ST1100 possible for me.

Bike
ST1300/FJR1300A
I picked up a pair of BILT Hipora boots from Cycle Gear, this is my 2nd season with them. They are breathable, water-proof, comfortable and easy on/off.
For $49.95 these are an amazing value and they have wide sizes, which I have trouble finding.
I need wide boots. These don't come up on the cycle gear website. Are they called something different now?

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Mark, did you buy the new soles from Aerostich and then go locally to a cobbler, or do you know of a reputable place to send them out? I'm looking to replace my soles so that I, too, can keep my favorite CBL's going.
I am also in the market. Anyone have experience with the Sidi On Road boots?

dmcleane
I did get the soles from Aerostich. You can get either style of sole from them. Pretty cheep too. You will have to find a cobbler that will do the work. The guy I found had done several pair in the past so he was familiar with the boots and the SIDI soles. He said he could not get them so I had to get them and bring the soles in with the boots. He said he has done several through the mail so if you can't find anyone I can hook you up with him.

CarSalesman
I don't know about those boots but would bet that they are very good quality if they are made by SIDI.

Bike
ST1300/FJR1300A
I need wide boots. These don't come up on the cycle gear website. Are they called something different now?
Apparently, "Hipora" is the waterproof membrane. Don't see any Bilt boots in W-I-D-E sizes.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
What treatment to the Combats need and is this true for all/most touring boots. Out my way we don't get much rain and I try to avoid it.

Any leather cleaner/conditioner followed by Snowseal or Aquaseal. I put one good heavy treatment on each spring and they are good for the year.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I am also in the market. Anyone have experience with the Sidi On Road boots?
I have put about 120,000 miles on a pair of On Roads. Very comfortable and waterproof. Can get a little warm on a really hot day (90+) but otherwise fine. I had them resoled at a local cobbler at about the 90k mark. Good for walking around too.

If you haunt the flea market section of Adv Rider, they come up for sale periodically.

Rod

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What treatment to the Combats need and is this true for all/most touring boots.
Well, if their made/lined with any kind of breathable membrane, I'd select a product that a) nurtures the leather but b) is definitely approved for GoreTex, etc...
I use HEY impra shoe polish for my Daytonas (also for the leather parts of Gore-gloves); one good application in early spring serves for the whole year.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Any leather cleaner/conditioner followed by Snowseal or Aquaseal. I put one good heavy treatment on each spring and they are good for the year.
I do the same with my Aerostich Combat boots and by gum, these are the last motorcycling boots I will ever have. They are not lined with any membrane and that's what I love about them most. Super thick leather, though, which tends to keep driving rain out just fine. As a bonus, your toes don't sweat on hot days because the leather can actually breathe a bit. If you LIKE wearing plastic membranes, then slip your foot in a Ziploc baggie.

They were terrible to brake in, but now it's like standing in a vat of butter.

And, my feet have yet to get wet in them - even when riding to Moonshine. Cool in the summer, dry in the rain, and warm in the Fall. Magic freakin' boots.

Top Bottom