Boots Which touring boots would you recommend?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
As a bonus, your toes don't sweat on hot days because the leather can actually breathe a bit.
And this is exactly what the Gore-Tex membrane does provide: breathing ability...
If you LIKE wearing plastic membranes, then slip your foot in a Ziploc baggie.
And this is exactly what Gore-Tex is not providing...

I run around in ankle-high Lowa Gore-Tex trekking boots the whole day long, if that membrane wouldn't work, I certainly wouldn't wear such boots...

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
They were terrible to brake in,
Erik, I don't doubt your experience as others have said the same. For me tho, they were not too bad as I recall. I guess, even tho my feet are the largest that will fit in the largest one they offer, I didn't have too much trouble breaking them in.
Last boots I will ever buy.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
And this is exactly what the Gore-Tex membrane does provide: breathing ability...
I'd trust GoreTex, but I'm not sure I'd ever buy boots that were a sandwich made of [thin leather] [plastic membrane] [thin leather] again. I find them uncomfortable in all climates.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
After a recommendation by ACL, early on as I started riding, I bought a pair of TCX X-Five Gore-Tex boots.

My feet are a little wider than "normal" and these italian boots are made a little wide. Perfect for me.

Break in period? None. They were supple and comfortable right out of the box.

Waterproof but breathable? Absolutely. I have stood in ankle deep water in the middle of a concrete spillway to take pictures and ridden through endless hours of toad straggling rains with narry a drop of water getting in while feet staid comfortably dry through long days in high heat and 127 degrees crossing Death Valley.

Durable? After nearly 300K miles and a wreck, one of the boots was damaged beyond repair (while protecting my foot) so I bought a second pair from Revzilla. They just arrived and fit great, again, straight out of the box. I just saw online that TCX Air-Tec XCR, a warm weather boot with more venting, is now available. I think I'll give them a try for summer riding.

Shuey

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
+1 on the TCX Boots. They are very waterproof and I rode a 3000 mile trip in 85-95 weather last summer and my feet were comfortable. I can wear them all day and hike a couple of miles in them also.

I can't say how they compare to the Combat lites because a Lister turned me on to them back when they were the Oxtor brand. They are all I have worn from 20-100 riding weather. I just bought a new pair last year after 10 years and 50,000 miles on the first pair.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Sidi on Roads. Expensive and worth it.
I'll second that. My Sidi On Roads and Rain Explorers are both expensive, both waterproof and both are comfortable for days on end trips. Average the cost over 5-10 years and they are tolerable in price but priceless in performance of comfort.

Bike
09 ST1300
I've had the TCX Plus Five Gore Tex for a couple years now, and they are fantastic. They are a wider fit which is perfect for me, and I have yet to have wet feet in the heaviest of rain. I found they were comfy right out of the box also, very nice quality construction. I will certainly buy another pair when these wear out. They are not exactly cheap but worth it IMHO.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I own a pair of BMW Santiago boots. My feet are pretty wide and I felt comfy from the first day 5 years ago. Still completely waterproof and looking as good as new. I love them and would buy them again.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'd trust GoreTex, but I'm not sure I'd ever buy boots that were a sandwich made of [thin leather] [plastic membrane] [thin leather] again. I find them uncomfortable in all climates.
The genuine stuff works brilliant... just don't get talked into any mock-off stuff...
Out of time pressure I once got textile riding pants with a D-Dry membrane... unbearable... those did feel like wearing a garbage-bag after 30~45 minutes only... had to ride home and change, couldn't stand them even with the long legged transtex underwear...

Top Bottom