Handle bar wobble '91 1100

Bike
1991 st1100
So all I did was change the front tire and now between 35 and 45 mph my handle bars have a death wobble if I let them go. Smooth as glass below or above the mph window. New tire was balanced with dyna beads (not sure if I'm spelling the right). Trying to figure out reason for shake but can't. Bike is a 1991 st1100.
Thanks for the help!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
If the only thing changed was the front tire, there's your answer.

What brand and model tire was replaced and what brand and model was installed?

The ST1100 decel hands-off wobble issue has been around since day one. It's not unique to the ST. IMO it's the result of designing steering geometry on a heavy sport tourer that's a compromise between sport handling and touring stability. Tires seem to be the most common suspension component associated with decel wobble onset, but others have been attributed to it also, like steering bearings.

If you do experience it, just don't take both hands off the bars when decelerating. Often, only a single finger on one bar stops the oscillation.

John

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The ST1100 decel hands-off wobble issue has been around since day one. It's not unique. IMO it's the result of designing steering geometry on a heavy sport tourer that's a compromise between sport handling and touring stability.
For whatever reason, both Hondas I've owned had headshake at 40mph, and all the other bikes I've owned never did it. On the ST switching to the tapered bearings seemed to fix the problem, but only if I kept readjusting them periodically. the wiggle is back on my ST, but I haven't bothered to adjust it back out yet.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Did you align the front wheel? Loosen left pinch bolts, apply front brake, and push down hard a few times on the handlebars ,then tighten pinch bolts.

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I had the wobble at high 30's so bad it was wearing sawtooth patterns into my front tire.

Replacing the headset bearing did not fix it. Changing tire brands did not fix it.

It was finally Tim Keel that suggested I was under inflating the tire. No way! I inflate it per the manual every time! Wrong, you are supposed to inflate it per the spec on the sidewall he politely informed me. I added 10psi to bring it up to the sidewall specs and I have never had the issue since.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
1991 st1100
Dean R
Lol. Yeah I put avon storms on. Had Michelin.
John,
You're right that one finger stops wobble. Definitely still rideable.
STRaymond
I've tried several different ways to align axle but not that way. I will try that tonight.
Mountain mike
i will double check air pressure.

Really appreciate ate all the advice. Joining this forum was the best thing I've done since getting the st.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
It was finally Tim Keel that suggested I was under inflating the tire. No way! I inflate it per the manual every time! Wrong, you are supposed to inflate it per the spec on the sidewall he politely informed me. I added 10psi to bring it up to the sidewall specs and I have never had the issue since.
The sidewall spec provides information on the maximum allowable carrying load, and the pressure specified there is generally the maximum allowable pressure for the tire. If you're not running maximum load then that pressure is generally too high, but certainly acceptable for the tire. Nothing says that Honda's recommended pressures in the manual are magical, so whatever works for you. In the past I found that when I ran the front towards the max pressure I'd chirp the front wheel under braking quite often, but I think I rode more aggressively than most.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
If the only thing changed was the front tire, there's your answer.
:wink:
Well, yes and no... dec wobble can also origin from a worn rear tire, tire composition, under-inflation, improper suspension settings, head bearings, wheel bearings, worn fork-bushings, etc...

The ST1100 decel hands-off wobble issue has been around since day one.
The interesting thing is that I rarely experience it on my ancient Exedras (only once their worn down badly), but had it instantly whenever I tried any other rubbers...
And I always change front and rear together...

Bike
92 ST1100
Went thru this same scenario several yrs. back, with questions here as to probable cause.
Tire change and brand change did NOT resolve issue.....same,same.
Added fork brace.......helped reduce the wobble, but was still there.
Replaced the stock roller-ball tye bearings with tapered roller type in steering neck........issue TOTALLY resolved......no matter what tire or how worn it became.
They ARE a bit fiddley getting pre-load drag correct, letting tripple-tree fall off the either side(wheel mounted) on its own with a slight drag on it once 'pal' nut is tighted.

I know in the track world, riders like the ball type for the supposedly 'road feel', But for the life of me don't know why Honda chose ball type in a location that absorbs road shocks constantly, mostly while in straight-ahead positioning:confused:. Even the Wings retain the ball type.

On a side note, my 33yr.old XS11 Venturer with 82K original miles still has its original tapered roller bearings in steering neck with no 'notchy' in center position, and bike is only 35lbs. in weight lighter than the ST11 with same 82K on it(62K when changed to tapered roller). Some of that longgivity difference may be attributed to the fact that the dealer(still in business) I puchased the Yammy from was anal particular when uncrating a new bike. They would remove tripple tree and CORRECTLY pack bearings with grease since all the Jap. manufacturers had minimal lube in that location(and still do today) prior to shipping.
Just was something I became aware of decades ago on moto-x bikes, and definitely was the norm on street bikes;).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
But for the life of me don't know why Honda chose ball type
Maybe because they aren't fiddley and probably cost less. Once properly set up will they require any periodic adjustment? If so am I correct in assuming it's less than ball bearings?

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Dean R
Lol. Yeah I put avon storms on. Had Michelin.
John,
Short of new tapered head bearings I don't think there is anything you can do the stop the Avon head shake at the speeds you indicated. I worked around it (1.e. don't take your hands off the bars at that speed, not a huge burden) and when worn out went back to Metzeler Z6

Sixstring

Mad English modifier of bikes!
Currently running Avon Storm Ultra 2's on mine, 36 F 42R, ten weight front fork oil, rear shock on 4 out of 6, and slight wobble on decell, Sometimes........

Didn't even know about fork align?? slacken l/h fork bolts off and bounce? somebody please explain, as JUST changed over to brand-new forks.

I never fail to be amazed by new information on these machines, and I've had mine a looooong time and hundreds of thousands of miles..........:)

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
SixSTring,

The mounting procedure for the front tire in the manual says that you install the tire (okay tyre :) ) then loosen the pinch bolts and bounce the front end to align the forks after a tire change. (Oh, and remember to tighten them afterwards too!)
It works.

Sixstring

Thanks Mark.....us English love our quaint spellings......lol

Have never done that, but will from now on. :)

Funny how your terms for the same things as us English differ:-

(motorway/highway tyre/tire suspension/damper mudguard/fender silencer/muffler disc/rotor sidelight/pilot light.....and loads more!

Gotta love you guys from over the pond.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I didn't follow the directions once. I went back and did the 'bounce' and the front end felt better. I now *always* do it.

(Something about separated by a common language comes to mind! :) Hood/boot and do you still say petrol instead of gas? )

Sixstring

Yup....PETROL, DIESEL, and "our" gas is LPG (liquefied petroleum gas).......:)

But it has to be said that you yanks and us brits are closer related in a whole lot of things than we all think!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
SixSTring,

The mounting procedure for the front tire in the manual says that you install the tire (okay tyre :) ) then loosen the pinch bolts and bounce the front end to align the forks after a tire change. (Oh, and remember to tighten them afterwards too!)
It works.
Which manual do you find this in? My '95 Honda Service Manual has no such instruction. Are you referring to the lower pinch bolts, or the middle pinch bolts?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Lower pinch bolts.
Page 382 in the ST1100 Clymer manual.
Page 15-21 of the ST1300 Honda Service Manual.

(I can't find my ST1100 Honda Service Manual at the moment, when I find it I'll edit this line out and replace it with the page number/s)

Top Bottom