Watched My Fantastic ST13 Drive Away Today

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Really, I had no intentions of changing anything in the garage. But, just as stray dogs and cats seem to find some of us, and enter our lives, a "just out of the blue" situation developed that got my gears turning.

I've liked the looks of the Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 since they were unveiled. I've never owned an Adventure-Tourer, but this is the one that I've admired.

While on a ride with a couple of buddies two weekends ago, we entered a Harley/Triumph/Honda shop, and I saw a promotion on left-over Explorers. I thought I could trade-in the VFR1200F on the Explorer. To exacerbate my dilemma, one of my buddies was eyeballing my ST and told me, "If you ever decide to sell it, please give me first crack."

Crap.

So, after calling my buddy's bluff, and talking with my local Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Triumph sales manager (who I know well enough to text on the phone frequently!), the deal is hatched.

My buddy bought the ST today, and the VFR will get traded-in on a new, left-over '13 Explorer. I'm hoping the Explorer can (mostly) fill the role of both those machines. It's supposed to arrive at the dealership tomorrow. Three insurance premiums and vehicle registration fees surely beats paying four of each!

I will miss the ST. Easily the best all-around motorcycle I've ever owned. :(

Last edited:

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Good luck with your move and keep us posted. I too was/am looking at making the move to an adventure bike... we'll see.

Bike
94' 1100 ABS
I just took an ST off a person and I promised to take very good care of her. I called the PO and gave updates. Congratulations on your new purchase.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Great bike and congratulations! The only caution I'd give you is that you can spend thousands on things you never knew you needed on these adventure bikes.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Congrats..............just curious.....what didn't you like about the vfr1200? Enjoy your new ride..............ff

OP
OP
thumperjdm

thumperjdm

Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Congrats..............just curious.....what didn't you like about the vfr1200? Enjoy your new ride..............ff
The VFR's a great bike. It's fast as snot. Because it has a long wheelbase, heavy weight, and small sportbike handlebars, it takes muscle to make it change directions (quickly) on a fast mountain road. I've also never cared for how Honda cut the power in 1st and 2nd gear, up until 5,500 rpm. The bike responds like a turbo-charged in those gears---very flat power delivery and then....whoa Nellie!!!

The biggest problem with it was insurance--the VFR cost me as much to insure as my other three bikes combined. My Farmers agent told me Foremost assigned the top premium to that bike--I could have insured a Desmosedici for the exact same price!! I'm guessing the Explorer will be quite less to insure.

If the Explorer can fill the role of the ST and the VFR, then the cheaper cost of maintaining 3 bikes will be an all-around financial win for me.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Thanks for the info.....did not know about the insurance rating.......enjoy that new bike...................ff

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
Really, I had no intentions of changing anything in the garage. But, just as stray dogs and cats seem to find some of us, and enter our lives, a "just out of the blue" situation developed that got my gears turning.

I've liked the looks of the Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 since they were unveiled. I've never owned an Adventure-Tourer, but this is the one that I've admired.

While on a ride with a couple of buddies two weekends ago, we entered a Harley/Triumph/Honda shop, and I saw a promotion on left-over Explorers. I thought I could trade-in the VFR1200F on the Explorer. To exacerbate my dilemma, one of my buddies was eyeballing my ST and told me, "If you ever decide to sell it, please give me first crack."

Crap.

So, after calling my buddy's bluff, and talking with my local Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Triumph sales manager (who I know well enough to text on the phone frequently!), the deal is hatched.

My buddy bought the ST today, and the VFR will get traded-in on a new, left-over '13 Explorer. I'm hoping the Explorer can (mostly) fill the role of both those machines. It's supposed to arrive at the dealership tomorrow. Three insurance premiums and vehicle registration fees surely beats paying four of each!

I will miss the ST. Easily the best all-around motorcycle I've ever owned. :(
I too, am saying goodbye to my ST. Tomorrow I deliver it to the new owner and move on. Hard to imagine walking away from a bike that has given so much and needed so little in return. Let's hope the next bike can fill the ST's shoes.

I liked the looks of that Triumph, but the new Super Tenere pushed me over the edge. My introductory post on the Yamaha STen forum had me cursing Yamaha for building such a great bike, and the forum members for loving theirs so much that it was causing me to give up my best riding pal, my trusty reliable ST1100.

Good luck to both of us, and all the rest of you that will maybe someday move on from the Honda ST.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Congrats, I don't think you will be sorry. The ADV bikes do a lot and do it well. As a bonus you get to listen to the sweet sound of the triple the whole time you are doing it.

OP
OP
thumperjdm

thumperjdm

Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Well, the tuna finally coaxed the little tiger out of the box.

And what a fun ride! Like an ST13, the Explorer felt 'immediately comfortable,' like I'd owned the bike for months.

Very stable chassis, very good brakes, and although I'm still babying the throttle due to break-in, I can tell there's a lot of 'roar' to be had from the engine. The only unusual part for me is the wide handlebars--I've never had a dirt bike or adventure bike.

A very happy camper!

Attachments

STOC #
HI,
My buddy has a '12 Exploder and it has been reliable as a stone.. We went to Prudhoe bay Alaska and back to Florida and not one single problem in the whole 14k trip for the triumph.. Accept for the dreded R.D.S.
Range Defeciency Syndrome. He only gets about 200-220 miles per tank.. He actually coasted into the Coldfoot gas station…… dead empty motor stopped… I rode it for about 100 miles…. Really nice.
Accept for the RDS

And Just remember, Brando rode a Triumph!!!

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Congrats on your new ride, looks like a beauty. I felt the same way when I got my RT, the only thing that took some getting use to was the turn signals and the highbeam switches.

Gerhard

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I can see myself on a larger adventure bike (I have a wee strom) one of these days. Good luck with the Tiger.

OP
OP
thumperjdm

thumperjdm

Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Now here's a novel concept: The Explorer has self-canceling turn signals. Or, you can choose to disable that feature through the set-up menu, and have them work manually.

The best of both worlds!! Who would'a thunk it?!

I'm not a fan of self-canceling, and my other two bikes don't have them, so I disabled it.

I'm startin' to like this Brit bike!

Last edited:
Top Bottom