Need Tire Advice for ST1100 ABS

Sidney, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
I currently have Metzler Z6 tires on my bike with about 8200 miles on them. I'm leaving in a month for another long trip, maybe about 8000 miles. So it's time for new tires. I really liked my Z6's but the shop is unable to get the Metzler Z6 for me in time and apparently Metzler doesn't make the Z8 in the size I need for the rear. If I remember correctly he also said the PR 3 isn't available in my size for the rear.

He suggested the Avon Storm 2 or the Bridgestone T30.

I am a fairly new rider so at this point I'm more concerned with a tire that is sticky, especially in wet weather, than I am in a long lasting tire. I know there are a lot of tire threads and I'll be going through them but I've left this kind of late and need to make a decision. So any advice on what tire I should run would be greatly appreciated.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I've got the 170/60 PR3 on the Back and a 120/70 PR4 on the front,
The PR3 makes the bike sit slightly lower but works well. Side effects the you have to park more carefully as the PR3 makes the bike sit up a little straighter.
And it is harder to get it up on the Center stand. PR4 is supposed to be better in the Wet.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I have run several sets of the Avon Storm's on my 1100. I have had one delaminate with me, others on the forum have had similar problems. I no longer run Avon's on any bike I have. YMMV.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Michelin Commander 160/70/17 for the rear, Michelin Activ 130/70/18 rear for the front. Good miles, good handling.

These tires are not recommended for the ST1100 but I like'em just fine. Not the cheapest but loooooooong miles.

If ya don't like the idea of a rear for the front, there is a front Commander 130/70/18 as well.

I recommend the up-size 130/70/18 for the front, it works well. (But only for the ABSII.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
FWTBT
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
Thanks for the replies everybody.

I'm a little confused on the whole ABS thing. Does putting on tire sizes other than what Honda calls for interfere with the ABS because the front tire will turn at a different rpm than the rear tire therefore confusing the system. If this is true is it less of a problem with the newer ABS (linked brakes ?)

The tire information sticker under my seat calls for a 110/80 V18 for the front but my actual tire is a 120/70 ZR18. Am I correct in assuming that these two sizes have the same circumference? My rear tire matches what the sticker says.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
My recommendation in post #5 is specifically for the ABSII. I wouldn't anticipate a problem running the 120/70/18 in place of the 110/80/18 on your 94 ABS but can't say fur sur as I've never had the experience myself.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Does putting on tire sizes other than what Honda calls for interfere with the ABS...
Technically neither ABS, nor TCS would mind... but having "wrong" dimensions installed impacts overall handling of the bike...
Dunno about your area, but over here wrong tire dimensions installed is punishable as "driver neglect", you'd fail the annual MOT, loose insurance cover (especially bad if you actually have an accident, regardless if having caused it or not), etc...

The tire information sticker under my seat calls for a 110/80 V18 for the front but my actual tire is a 120/70 ZR18.
You definitely got the "wrong" dimension for the model at hand at the front... the 120 probably "tight" with the clearances to the fork bottoms/inner fork brace mounts...
Squeezing the 120 tire into a 3" rim might also impact the side-guidance/stability of the tire/side-walls...
You definitely need more steering forces to lean over with the 120/70 installed...

OP
OP
FWTBT
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
You definitely got the "wrong" dimension for the model at hand at the front... the 120 probably "tight" with the clearances to the fork bottoms/inner fork brace mounts...
Squeezing the 120 tire into a 3" rim might also impact the side-guidance/stability of the tire/side-walls...
You definitely need more steering forces to lean over with the 120/70 installed...
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the front tire do you know what the difference between V18 and ZR18 is? For example my sticker says 110/80 V18 and I see Bridgestone sells a 110/80 ZR18 in their T30 series tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FWTBT
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
B'stone Exedra was my tire of choice for '98 ST.
Regarding the Exedra?s I see that the Exedra Max sizes don?t quite match up with what Honda calls for. Can you remember which Exedra?s you used and what sizes? I also see that the Exedra?s are listed as a cruiser tire and the BT-023 are listed as a sport/tour tire. Excuse the rookie question but did you find an advantage running the Exedra?s over the BT-23?s like tread wear etc.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The Exedra G547/G548 tires are OEM fitment. They have Honda part numbers and can be ordered from your dealer or online Honda parts supplier. I'm about to install my, what... 15th..? G548 rear. I replace the front G547 every second rear. I highly recommend them.

Not at my desktop at the moment but can look up the part numbers there if asked.

Edit: the front tire you currently have installed is designed for a rim 1/2" wider than your ST's. Personally, I'd replace it with the correct size.

John

via iPhone 4S

Last edited:
OP
OP
FWTBT
Bike
1994 st1100 ABS
STOC #
The Exedra G547/G548 tires are OEM fitment. They have Honda part numbers and can be ordered from your dealer or online Honda parts supplier. I'm about to install my, what... 15th..? G548 rear. I replace the front G547 every second rear. I highly recommend them.

Not at my desktop at the moment but can look up the part numbers there if asked.

Edit: the front tire you currently have installed is designed for a rim 1/2" wider than your ST's. Personally, I'd replace it with the correct size.

John

via iPhone 4S
Great info John, thanks! I was thinking exactly what you said and going back to the proper size tire on the front.

The tires that have my interest so far are the Exedra and the T30 which apparently is replacing the BT023.

Can you remember what kind of mileage you get out of your Exedra?s. Would I be correct in assuming that the Exedra would last longer than the T30 or BT023 but the T30 or BT23 performing better in the curves and wet roads because of softer rubber compounds etc.? I also notice that the Exedra?s are bias and the T30/BT023 are radial tires.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Should be avail through any (motorcycle)tire dealer...

Bridgestone Exedra G547 110/80 V18 TL front
Bridgestone Exedra G548 160/70 V17 TL rear

Speed Index:
V - 240kph/150mph
ZR - >240kph/150mph

Given that European riding conditions, terrain and legal requirements differ:
Exedras: easily 12.000km/7500miles
others: <8000km/<5000miles

The controversy bias ply vs radials is a religions one ;-)
I however choose a tire that works, over any pre-justice on "old" vs "new" construction...
Unlike John I simply lost count on how many sets of Exedras I've used up, but I replace front and rear together since being worn down equally... not in the centre though... :8):

From my experience the Exedras reward with agile and very precise steering, are very neutral while leaned, combined with a comfy ride, no wobble issues, etc... and reward with a long lifetime...
What I also just love on them is their forgiving, wide safety band... when pushed they just don't snap loose, they give a gentle warning by starting to drift...

The radials I had on my STs (all standard models with the 3" front rim) always required higher steering forces, a spongy feedback, the bikes showed serious symptoms of "standing up" while leaned, dec wobble and/or high speed wobble...
And in my experience a quite narrow safety band, those tires did loose grip without much of a warning...

Can't tell about the BT023 as I stopped the (for me) expensive experiments before its release... certainly can't tell about the T30 as its a brand new rubber...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I get 8-12K on a rear Exedra, depending on riding style and roads (out west, Canada, and Alaska shortens life). 20K+ on a front, always changed out with the second rear. Part numbers, noun-nomenclature:

44711-MT3-615 / TIRE (110/80-V18) [Exedra G547]
42711-MT3-616 / TIRE (160/70-V17) [Exedra G548]

What I like about them is the neutral feeling throughout the life of the tires. Stable. The front does have a center sipe and will want to wander a bit on grated bridges and some grooved pavement segments. I just let it with a light touch on the bars. A non-issue for me after all the grated bridges during AlaskaSTOC.

John

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've run all sorts of combinations and permutations on my three ST1100s on close to 300,000 miles. Bias for mileage, radials for handling. My 'distance' choice is the BT020 Bias BMW rear and the BT023 GT radial front. I plan on trying George's rear Michelin Commander and a PR4 on the front for mileage. I'm running PR3s on two of my ABSII ST1100s (correct 120 on the front, same as ST1300 and 170/60 on the rear - no ABS/TCS problems at all). PR4s are up next when the PR3s are gone. I run an ABSII front rim (120) on my 97 standard and it works just fine. You just have to swap the rotors as the bolt pattern is the same but the sizes are different.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I get 8-12K on a rear Exedra, depending on riding style and roads (out west, Canada, and Alaska shortens life). 20K+ on a front, always changed out with the second rear.
Sounds like you're way heavier on the throttle, then on the brakes John.
Or doing endless highway miles, squaring the rear?

My front suffers from my tendency to brake into turns, "hollowing the cheeks", while the centre still shows good thread, and the rear suffers nearly similar wear pattern from a) control brake till the vertex and b) accelerate out the turn...
Near the end of their lifetime they emit that "contented hum" while leaned... :wink:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Sounds like you're way heavier on the throttle, then on the brakes John.
Or doing endless highway miles, squaring the rear?
Probably the later, Martin. :)

I hardly ever do any hard acceleration or braking, preferring to ride "The Pace" style with controlled engine braking and smooth acceleration. I wish I had more curves locally so I could wear more of the sides of my Exedras. :)

While my front Exedras last a long time, the other brands I've tried didn't. The Z6 I tried wore into a twitchy/wobbly "V" so quickly (<2K) I gladly pulled it when the Z6 rear caught a giant wood screw at ~4K.

John

via iPhone 4S

Top Bottom