2014 Super Tenere - First Impressions

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've had the Super Tenere just over a week and are getting it past the break-in cycle. I thought I'd add some initial impressions vs the 2012 bike.

To ES or not to ES?
I'm not much of a suspension-guy, I typically set my suspension and it stays there except some rear dampening/rebound adjustments based on how loaded the bike is.
So, since I also liked the Yamaha Blue color over the Matte Grey-only ES version, I went with a Std Blue. If suspension is your thing and you place a lot of importance on it,
the ES version is supposed to not only be electronically controlled but also contain upgraded components - so I've heard. The ES version also comes with heated grips that
are controlled via the new display/buttons.

The Display
The display has been radically changed. I like that you can customize what shows on screens and toggle through using the menu buttons on the left handlebar switch.

The previous version of the bike would allow you to toggle some of the display but the buttons were on the dash and it was a reach to get to and never felt like a safe action due to the reach.

The previous display was LCD looking during the day and had a more orange background at night - I prefer that lighting over the new version which is typically LCD display -
both are very easy to read however.

Gen 1 Display:

Gen 2 Display:

The Windshield
The windshield is now larger and has a 3 position tool-less adjustment. The adjustment is easy to do but if you don't line things up just right, the knobs will work loose and the
shield may drop down a little - I had this happen once and not sure if it's an issue or just me not setting it right the first time I adjusted it.

Due to the adjustment bracket, the shield does vibrate some. There's an accessory bar as part of the bracket and some have noted putting a gps there has caused some reading
issues due to the vibrations.

The shield itself does a nice job and I believe it's an overall improvement over the previous version. I will still add a spoiler to mine as I think the shield would benefit from a slight
lip / curve at the top to clear some air further over the shield.

The Seat
I'm hesitant on this one... The previous version's seat was tough after 100 miles and had a slight forward tilt to it.

I've done a 450 mile day on the stock seat so far and I'm surprised to say it wasn't bad and I was pretty comfortable, to the point that I can't believe it. I keep waiting
for it to be
the typical torture that most stock seats tend to be. There's no forward tilt at all.

The Bars
The riser design has been adjusted to put the bars 10mm closer and they feel good. I had 2" rox risers on the previous bike and those were perfect for me. So far, I'm
not feeling
the need to add risers but it may take an 800 mile day to see just how comfortable it will, or won't, be.

The Engine
I really can't tell that they changed the engine a little. It feels pretty much the same to me but they supposedly changed the Tour and Sport modes making the Tour mode
more relaxed and the Sport move more sporty... I can tell you on this version you can immediately feel the difference between the two. On the Gen 1 version of the bike I
had to concentrate to try and feel a difference and eventually I was able to but there would be times I had it in one mode and just couldn't guess which one I was in without
looking at the indicator. On this version, you can. It's been 2 years since I rode the Gen 1 and my memory is just getting worse so perhaps there's more differences here
that would be felt riding them back to back. It's a fun engine and pulls like a tractor.

A gear indicator was added and for most bikes it's not needed but this bike pulls so well in any gear and sounds the same unless it's really wound up so I does help ME in
knowing which gear I'm in. Not everyone will care for it but for me it was a nice addition over the Gen 1.

Cruise Control was added as part of the Gen 2 and it works great! It engages immediately and the +/- increments are right at 1mph.

Speedometer - guess what? Only 1 mph off on low - below 30 mph - and 2 mph off on anything over 30mph that I've noted using the Garmin gps as a check. The previous
version was more like 3-5 mph off like many bikes. It's nice that it's so close and you don't have to mentally add or subtract 5mph - I know that's not much mental power
but it's one less thing to have to think about and I love that.

The mirrors were changed to a funky shape that looks like it belongs on an Italian sport bike but I'm getting used to them, they are function and works well enough, I just
prefer something more rectangular - I may switch out with the Gen 1 mirrors as I liked those better.

The range appears to be the same from what I can see. The Gen 2 is supposed to get 43 mpg - up 3 mpg and the tank bigger 6.1 gallons up .1 gallons but the 'blinking'
around the same 180-ish mile range. Leaving just under 1 gallon. Nothing mind shattering there.

The side stand is now aluminum and the part you use to extend it is more prominent and easier to use.

Hazzard lights are not standard and it always irked me that they were not on the Gen 1 version, just one of those things I feel should be a no-brainer feature that should be there.

Conclusion
I was very close to getting a White 2013 Super Tenere that a dealer had blinged out with lots of extras. There are some incredible deals out there by dealers trying to push
the previous year models and I was never disappointed with the Gen 1, however the few changes they did were enough to push me over the edge and get a Gen 2. I don't
feel you would be disappointed with either version.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Re: 2014 Super Tenere - Impressions

Thanks for the nice write up, Joe. Sounds like you got yourself one fun bike.

John

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner

Thanks for the impressions. I'm still interested in the bike, especially after my torturous ride home yesterday on the NC. I miss having a larger bike for touring.
Mike

Bike
GL1800

Did you look at the new BMW GSA for comparison....................or did the ST reliability factor/reputation tip the balance. What did you do for hard bags......any changes with the Yamaha bags from previous versions?

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

Are the 2013 and '14 the same except for the ES option in '14?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Did you look at the new BMW GSA for comparison....................or did the ST reliability factor/reputation tip the balance. What did you do for hard bags......any changes with the Yamaha bags from previous versions?
I feel that Yamaha is real close to Honda in terms of reliability, I don't feel that way about BMW and their price point is higher.
Are the 2013 and '14 the same except for the ES option in '14?
The Std 2014 has several changes as indicated in my first post including cruise control.. the ES version gives you upgraded shock components that are electronically controlled and heated grips.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Well that is some good information to hear from someone who had both. Now the question of the day is how long until this one is on the chopping block?? :D

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

K, I thought you were comparing 2012 to 2014.
2012 and 2013 were the Gen 1 and identical other than color options as far as I know.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Well that is some good information to hear from someone who had both. Now the question of the day is how long until this one is on the chopping block?? :D
I will make no promises.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

K thx Joe. Great review!

I was thinking FJR ... 2012 & 2013 are different Gens.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Yeah, I think in 2013 the FJR got the Super Tenere electronics and then they updated the FJR electronics and pushed that over to the Super Tenere.. which is a good sign.

Edit: I actually don't know if the electronics are the same across the two models but both the FJR and Super Ten share lots of similar controls.

Bike
'08 ST1300

I know you said that it's just starting to get broken in; I don't know about the FJR or the Super Tenere, but I've recently owned and ridden a Yamaha FZ6 and now an FZ1; and I can tell you that these new bikes have tight feeling engines, with notchy transmissions, and feel rather buzzy; --- and then with proper break in (I believe in strictly by the book) , multiple oil changes, progressive stretching, multiple hot and cold cycles --

-- a wonderful thing happens around 7 or 8 thousand miles; the engine starts smoothing out, shifts become buttery smooth, vibrations when new start to disappear; ah break in period over. bike feels more a part of you. Good luck with your new bike; I had a Tenere 20 years ago and still miss it; '92 yamaha tdm 850

--seems like the new Tenere's have the motor to go cross country; and the chassis to do some back roads; equalling a very versatile machine; next stop Alaska?, British Columbia?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

What did you do for hard bags......any changes with the Yamaha bags from previous versions?
I think the Yam bags are the same, no changes... Many have had good luck with them as long as loctite is uses when putting the locks on the bags.

I went with the Bumot Bags.

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #

Thanks Joe. Nice report. It will be interesting to see if some of your first impressions change over time.

Top Bottom