Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
No thanks, mine will be on the road most of the time, I'm a poser. lol

Hi Joe, I have been following your posts on the Super Tenere. Lots of great information. I saw your August trip and your serious daily mileage. How is the ST on these long days in the saddle? Thank you, Don.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hi Joe, I have been following your posts on the Super Tenere. Lots of great information. I saw your August trip and your serious daily mileage. How is the ST on these long days in the saddle? Thank you, Don.
Don, the bike worked very well, no issues at all. It did help that I have a Laam seat on it now. The 2014 model is a little smoother due to some changes Yamaha made and it's also got an integrated cruise control which really helped a lot when it came to relaxing my right hand/arm so I could stretch/move around. I don't have any complaints other than I wish the tank was larger but in the 3k+ elevation I was getting around 45 mpg. Here in Dallas it's closer to 39-41 mpg. Not many bikes can compete to the ST's large tank.

I'm very happy with the Super Tenere, the only little nit picks I had with the 2012 they have addressed, and then some.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
How is the rain protection? On our recent long ride we were in and out of the rain suits four times in one day. One rain stretch lasted over two hours then next more than an hour the last two less. We got wet but as you know the ST's have fairly good protection, particularly with the adjustable windshields.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How is the rain protection? On our recent long ride we were in and out of the rain suits four times in one day. One rain stretch lasted over two hours then next more than an hour the last two less. We got wet but as you know the ST's have fairly good protection, particularly with the adjustable windshields.
Well, it's not an ST or Wing so your feet/shin area will get more exposed. The shield appears small but that along with the Yamaha side deflectors will provide some good protection as long as you're moving... I would say it's about 80% of what the ST will provide.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, it's not an ST or Wing so your feet/shin area will get more exposed. The shield appears small but that along with the Yamaha side deflectors will provide some good protection as long as you're moving... I would say it's about 80% of what the ST will provide.
When I hosted FerrySTOC 5 this past spring, I led the group rides with the Tenere on Friday and the ST1300 on Saturday. I've had several other times that I've jumped off of the Tenere onto the ST and visa-versa - the Super Tenere has MORE PROTECTION from the wind and less turbulent flow than the ST1300 when I have it outfitted for winter riding. That includes my handguard extensions, medium V-Stream windshield and factory side deflectors.

I was really surprised at this the first time that I did an immediate swap. During the summer months, I remove the handguard extensions, side deflectors and drop to either the stock or custom shorty windshield and I significantly increase the airflow on the Tenere. I have a shorty windshield for the ST1300 too, but it still won't keep anything but my head in decent airflow.

As far as the shin airflow goes, the Tenere has more but it is still very well protected, nearly as much as the ST in my opinion.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Congrats on the new ride, Joe!
Some people report excessive handlebar vibration, what say ya?
Also, are there any heat issues?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Congrats on the new ride, Joe!
Some people report excessive handlebar vibration, what say ya?
Also, are there any heat issues?

Thanks!
No and No. Some pre-14 owners reported those.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Bump…..
Some of us here keep pressing F5 with nothing to read about your new S10.
I am about to hit my medicine cabinet and grab my anxiety medication…..:eek:4:
What’s new about your S10, Joe?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bump…..
Some of us here keep pressing F5 with nothing to read about your new S10.
I am about to hit my medicine cabinet and grab my anxiety medication…..:eek:4:
What’s new about your S10, Joe?
LOL...

Yes, the vibes have been smoothed out considerably along with the bolts-in-a-bucket noise it would have at start up.

Yamaha updated the Cam Chain Tensioner to reduce startup noise and the whole clutch basket has gone from spring to rubber dampeners which reduced noise and vides greatly. Some pre-2014 owners have installed these and also report it's a different bike.

On my last trip, the bike has performed great, I don't really have anything major to report. The cruise control works great and engages instantly with no hesitation.

W8NONU

Best days to ride end in Y
Bike
ST1300
Re: 2014 Super Tenere - Impressions

I agree about the BMW reliability. I sold my R1100RT after it left me stranded three times, twice out of state. I bought the 2006 ST and have never looked back, until now. I have been waiting for an upgrade to the ST that, as we know, is not coming. Now I am torn between the flexibility of the Tenere or the sport of the FJR. My brother just purchased the Tenere and is getting it set up for travel. Tough decision for me since I am quite comfortable with my ST. I don't care for the Concours and am leery of the BMW, but sure do like the K1300GT. It has enough power to see the surprised faces on the sport bikes in front of you when you stick to their tail while handling very well in the twisties for such a large bike. It also has all the creature comforts I have grown used to. If I lean toward the dual sport I like the handling and performance of the KTM Super Adventure...really quick and handles off road excursions exceptionally well. Why didn't Honda make it easy for me and upgrade the ST???????

Bike
'07 ST1300

Why didn't Honda make it easy for me and upgrade the ST???????
who said that Honda is not making the upgrade easy? :)

The choice is easy: anything but Honda!
Today, I saw a 2013 S10 with "zero" miles in Yamaha showroom in Monroe, WA for 10 grand and change.
I am sure that you can find a similar deal where you live.

W8NONU

Best days to ride end in Y
Bike
ST1300

who said that Honda is not making the upgrade easy? :)

The choice is easy: anything but Honda!
Today, I saw a 2013 S10 with "zero" miles in Yamaha showroom in Monroe, WA for 10 grand and change.
I am sure that you can find a similar deal where you live.
I guess the search begins...

STOC #

Mellow,
What kind of range on the '14 with bags?? Just rode a '14 ES and STD at Biketoberfest.. NICE MOTORCYCLE!!!!!! It's on the radar..
mitch

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I'd really like to own this bike if 1) It wasn't so damn expensive 2) It wasn't so tall and 3) It didn't have wire-spoked wheels (I hate wire wheels... WAY too hard to clean)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Mellow,
What kind of range on the '14 with bags?? Just rode a '14 ES and STD at Biketoberfest.. NICE MOTORCYCLE!!!!!! It's on the radar..
mitch
At sea level, 180-200. In the mountains I've been at 250 and nothing blinking at me yet. You can't get ST range but you just don't have as much fuel. It does a good 38-42 mpg average most of the time depending on speed.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'd really like to own this bike if 1) It wasn't so damn expensive 2) It wasn't so tall and 3) It didn't have wire-spoked wheels (I hate wire wheels... WAY too hard to clean)
It's not that tall, quite a bit shorter than the MS or GS in stock form. JeffF made a simple mod to the seat pan of his Super Ten and I flat footed his bike (I am 5'7"). Fun bike, too. Smooth for a twin. I liked it a lot.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
It's not that tall, quite a bit shorter than the MS or GS in stock form. JeffF made a simple mod to the seat pan of his Super Ten and I flat footed his bike (I am 5'7"). Fun bike, too. Smooth for a twin. I liked it a lot.
You forgot point #1 ;-) $$$$$$$$$$$$

Top Bottom