Cree LED Headlight Bulbs on MY 2004 ST1100 - What a difference!

Bike
1994 ST1100
One of my stock 45 watt bulbs burned out recently. Being an electrical contractor, I've switched to LED for almost everything in residential and commercial lighting. So....because of that experience...I decided to investigate what was available for our ST's. After discovering that the St's use a unique lamp that is only 45 watts and nothing is available, I decided to take a chance and order a pair of LED H-4 base lamps. Here's what I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/Jtech-Type-High-Power-Headlight/dp/B0090E4RN8
The reason I chose these is because I know enough about high output LED's to know that the need to stay cool to last. These have heat sinks will little cooling fans on them to help keep them cool.
I also know Cree is the number 1 manufacturer of quality LED's in the world. So after about 3 hours of retrofitting, I have them installed. Went for a quick night ride and all I can say is....WOW!
I took some pics of the install and will post them later.....The wife just walked in and said she wants to go out for dinner. Stay tuned. :)

Bike
2007 ST1300
Re: Just installed Cree LED Headlight Bulbs on MY 2004 ST1100. What a difference!

I am using a Cree LED hunting light that attaches to my rifle scope. I know what you mean. Couldn't you have sent your wife out for pizza and posted the pics????

:)

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Re: Just installed Cree LED Headlight Bulbs on MY 2004 ST1100. What a difference!

One of my stock 45 watt bulbs burned out recently. Being an electrical contractor, I've switched to LED for almost everything in residential and commercial lighting. So....because of that experience...I decided to investigate what was available for our ST's. After discovering that the St's use a unique lamp that is only 45 watts and nothing is available, I decided to take a chance and order a pair of LED H-4 base lamps. Here's what I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/Jtech-Type-High-Power-Headlight/dp/B0090E4RN8
The reason I chose these is because I know enough about high output LED's to know that the need to stay cool to last. These have heat sinks will little cooling fans on them to help keep them cool.
I also know Cree is the number 1 manufacturer of quality LED's in the world. So after about 3 hours of retrofitting, I have them installed. Went for a quick night ride and all I can say is....WOW!
I took some pics of the install and will post them later.....The wife just walked in and said she wants to go out for dinner. Stay tuned. :)
The standard bulb is 45/55 watts ( low/high beam wattage ).

Do you still have a low & high beam, or only a single beam ????

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350

I am using a Cree LED hunting light that attaches to my rifle scope.
Isn't that illegal? Seems to me it should be, if the animals are to have any chance at being "fair" game.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Isn't that illegal? Seems to me it should be, if the animals are to have any chance at being "fair" game.
Attaching a light to a scope isn't illegal in and of itself in a lot of places and is legal for taking non-game animals in a lot of places.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #

The standard bulb is 45/55 watts ( low/high beam wattage ).
Standard on the 1100 (US) from Honda is both lamps being 45/45 . Rather pricy as they are only from Honda. Standard H4 headlamp is 45/55. Guys have been using H4 lamps in differing ratings for years. It requires a shim and some trimming of the tabs. Or trimming the plastic lamp housing. Or buy a European lamp housing that an H4 fits and has a better light dispersing pattern. The latter choice works great!

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #

Looking forward to your install info.

Bike
2007 ST1300

Totally legal. Sorry if you are offended, but coyotes in Ohio can be taken in that manner. And, just so you know, even with the scope light, it is a difficult proposition.

Bike
95 st1100

Cant wait to see your post of the installation and hope you keep us up to date on their lifespan. Any idea of the draw that includes the actual light plus the cooling fan running?

OP
OP
lennstang
Bike
1994 ST1100

It draws 35 watts total.

OP
OP
lennstang
Bike
1994 ST1100

Here's the box it comes in.Cree box edit.jpg

OP
OP
lennstang
Bike
1994 ST1100

After removing the original lamps, I used a propane torch to remove the backing plate from the old lamps. you will need this plate to mount the new Cree LED's. I held the lamp by the glass in my hand using a thick leather glove and heated the metal base of the lamp until the solder began to flow. The I just banged it on the bench and the plate fell off. I heated it up one more time to remove the remaining solder by banging it again. Used pliers to hold it while doing this.
Cree old lamp removal of back plate-edit.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
lennstang
Bike
1994 ST1100

I then overlaid the original backing plate to the new lamp. You'll notice here that the new lamp has a H-4 base but the original doesn't. You are going to use the original base and install it on the new Cree lamp. You then grind off the 2 small tabs on the Cree lamp.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
lennstang
Bike
1994 ST1100

Next using your vise, press the old backing plate onto the new Cree lamp. Do a little on each side and rotate in the vise until both parts are together evenly.

Attachments

Last edited:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

I am also very happy with the Cree LED lamps - the same or similar ones that you ordered. I put a set on my KLR650 and will probably put them on my St1100 as well.

Dan

OP
OP
lennstang
Bike
1994 ST1100

Next you need to remove the 2 spring clips (one for each lamp) that hold the lamp into the rear of the headlight. These are located on the back of the headlight. Just peek in there with a flashlight and you will see them. Use a short Phillips screwdriver and reach in either from the bottom or top and remove the screws.
You need to do this because the new lamp with the old backing plate is too thick and the retaining spring that holds each lamp in place won't latch into the clip that's held by the screw until you add a spacer behind it. I then added a couple very small washers to each retaining clip to space it off the headlight housing. You then re-install the clips with spacers. It moves the clip (there are 2, one each side) out enough so when you place the new lamp into the headlight housing, you have enough clearance to hook the spring clip into the clip. Once you have completed that, follow the instructions that come with the lamps. Everything at this point is plug and play and very easy to do. These lamps give you both high/low beam and are very bright. I'll take some pics at some point to show how they look at night.
The main reason I chose to go LED on my bike is that I still have the original 28 amp alternator and knew that if I installed brighter halogen lamps, I would be pushing it to it's capacity. Don't want to the 40 amp upgrade if I don't have to. Good luck!

OP
OP
lennstang
Bike
1994 ST1100

I am also very happy with the Cree LED lamps - the same or similar ones that you ordered. I put a set on my KLR650 and will probably put them on my St1100 as well.

Dan
It would have much easier if Honda had used the common H-4 base lamps.

Top Bottom