Steering Head Bearing Grease?

Bike
'01 ST1100
Bottom Line Up Front: I'm thinkin' that a high quality polyurea-based grease rated for EP applications is the best to use for motorcycle steering head bearings.

As seen in this thread (page 28), I recently repacked the steering head bearings in a 2007 Kawasaki KLR 650 that had only 1200 (rain-free) miles on it.

The factory grease job:

Note the unusual color of the OEM grease (sort of a babysh*t green). More on this below.

My intention was to pack the steering stem bearings with a high quality grease of some type. Now, I've got four different kinds of bikes and a factory service manual (FSM) for each of the four different types. Three out of the four FSM's don't really stipulate a special kind of grease for the steering head bearings. The FSM for my '05 Gold Wing, however, states that an extreme pressure (EP) rated polyurea-based grease be used. Some Internet research yielded that these types of greases seemed to be highly regarded for this application.

Now, I know that the most common grease to use in this application is probably Bel-Ray Waterproof grease. That is what I've used in the past, anyway. However, some research indicated that Bel-Ray makes no claims of EP qualities for that grease. Note that Bel-Ray DOES sell something similar, with EP qualities (Marine Extreme Pressure Waterproof Grease), but I was intrigued with finding out more about the grease that Honda recommended for my '05 Gold Wing.

The Honda FSM for my Gold Wing specifically points out two brands of grease that fit the bill for the bike's steering head bearings and the associated dust seal lips. Of those two, ?Shell Stamina EP2? looked to be the most accessible to me (the other grease that was mentioned was ?Excelight EP2?, manufactured by Kyodo Yushi Japan). It turns out that the Shell grease (an abbreviated set of specs can be found here) has since been replaced by ?Shell Gadus S3 T 220 2? (on which the specs can be found here).

Well, I couldn't source any of the Shell grease locally, so back on the Internet I went. I found some Mobil grease locally, ?Mobil Polyrex EP2,?, that seemed to match up nicely with the hard to find Shell Gadus grease. Since it was priced reasonably, (less than $10.00 for a 14 oz. cartridge), I tooted over and got me one of 'em.

Imagine my surprise when I popped the top off of the new grease and found it to be about the same color of the OEM grease I'd found on the steering stem bearings! One wonders if Kawasaki is using this stuff at the factory for this application (it is worth noting, however, that the Kawasaki FSM for the KLR650 does not specify any special kind of grease for the steering head bearings....).

On a side note, when I was later trying to figure out how to clean the lower steering stem bearing (which was press fit onto the steering stem/lower triple clamp assy) without damaging the captive black rubber grease seal, I came across the suggestion of using transmission fluid to do the job. I have lots of this stuff on hand, purchased for a car I no longer own, and saw this as a good way to get rid of some of that stash. However, when testing a bit of the old, OEM grease, I found that it would not readily dissolve in the tranny fluid. Curiosity fully aroused, I tried the same trick with a bit of the new Mobil grease I'd just purchased (see above). Same result. I then tried to dissolve a bit of lithium-based grease in the tranny fluid and found that it dissolved rather easily. One could be forgiven for thus jumping to the conclusion that the factory used polyurea-based grease to pack the steering stem bearings.

So, Honda recommends this grease for the 2005 GL1800 and Kawasaki seemed to be using it on their 2007 KLR 650's.

Until I'm convinced otherwise, I'll use the Mobil Polyrex EP2 grease on all of my steering head bearings from here on out....

If you can't find it locally, note that I've seen it being sold on eBay from time to time.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I used the Honda Moly 60 on the OEM ball bearings, since it is a high pressure grease meant for load bearing surfaces and if it withstands the forces on the drive splines, it must be good for bearings too. Just my thought, which may, or may not, be right.:shrug1:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Now, I know that the most common grease to use in this application is probably Bel-Ray Waterproof grease. That is what I've used in the past, anyway. However, some research indicated that Bel-Ray makes no claims of EP qualities for that grease. Note that Bel-Ray DOES sell something similar, with EP qualities (Marine Extreme Pressure Waterproof Grease), but I was intrigued with finding out more about the grease that Honda recommended for my '05 Gold Wing.
FWIW, am I using the BelRay Waterproof since the early 90ies on them OEM head-bearings, on the wheel-bearing seals, the swing-arm bearings and their V-seals, the speedo-gear (works itself up the speedo-cable, never had a broken one yet...), the ball-joints of the shifter links, as well as on the pivots of brake, clutch and shifter levers and never found any negative issues with it, rather the opposite like being extremely durable, stable and lasting for like a decade in there... definitely superior over the white, lithium-based stuff they pack them OEM head bearings with before shipment...

Have you tried to dissolve the BelRay Waterproof Grease in mentioned ATF?

OP
OP
Digger1
Bike
'01 ST1100
I used the Honda Moly 60 on the OEM ball bearings, since it is a high pressure grease meant for load bearing surfaces and if it withstands the forces on the drive splines, it must be good for bearings too. Just my thought, which may, or may not, be right.:shrug1:
Yeah, I've got some high quality waterproof moly grease that I thought about using in the steering head bearings. However, I read in a few places that using moly grease in precision rolling bearings can cause moly deposits to build up, thus compromising the bearings.

On the other hand, the factory service manual for the Kawasaki KLR 650 specifies that a moly grease be used on the suspension linkage and swingarm pivot bearings (needle bearings). I did use my waterproof moly grease on these.

OP
OP
Digger1
Bike
'01 ST1100
....Have you tried to dissolve the BelRay Waterproof Grease in mentioned ATF?
Bel-Ray waterproof grease has always been my "go to" grease in the past.

However, as mentioned in the first link in the OP, my personal spec for this project bike is that it go around the world twice without requiring any unscheduled maintenance. That's why I got all anal and decided to research steering head bearing grease a bit.

The reason I mentioned the "ATF test" in the OP was that it showed yet another resemblance between the polyurea-based grease I bought for the job and the grease the Kawasaki had used on the steering head bearings, thus lending more credence to the supposition that Kawasaki used polyurea-based grease on the steering head bearings.

I have not tried the ATF test on my Bel-Ray waterproof grease. I do know, however, that said grease is aluminum-complex based, so it is a totally different animal than is polyurea-based grease.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Bel-Ray waterproof grease has always been my "go to" grease in the past.
Considering what many (workshops) (don't) use, we seem "slightly over-equipped" with that anyway... ;-)
(...I still recall that one tire shop where they'd actually smeared copper-slip on my drive splines <shiver!> :shock: ... we do that with all the GoldWings we get it... yeah, and I'm sure their really thankful for that... :roll:)

I do know, however, that said grease is aluminum-complex based, so it is a totally different animal than is polyurea-based grease.
I never close myself from something better out there (like going from Moly 40 to Moly 60, even if it means having to import from the US), if that Mobil Polyrex is superior, we shall seek for a cup...
On the quick run I can't locate a source over here, only found the 120lb tub on Ebay.com...

BTW: what about the Mobil Polyrex ep 2 msds, this seems to have some additives?

Bike
92 ST1100
As I've stated in the past, steering head/tripple tree bearing get MINIMAL lube prior to shipping, which tends to lead to their early demise. Any HIGH impact load rated lube WILL endure just fine when bearing assembly is PROPERLY packed with grease;).

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...when bearing assembly is PROPERLY packed with grease ;).
And pressure-wash kept away...
Even waterproof/marine lube cannot cope against the brute force of water being driven in at 100~120bar/1400~1700psi...

OP
OP
Digger1
Bike
'01 ST1100
Considering what many (workshops) (don't) use, we seem "slightly over-equipped" with that anyway... ;-)
(...I still recall that one tire shop where they'd actually smeared copper-slip on my drive splines <shiver!> :shock: ... we do that with all the GoldWings we get it... yeah, and I'm sure their really thankful for that... :roll:)

I never close myself from something better out there (like going from Moly 40 to Moly 60, even if it means having to import from the US), if that Mobil Polyrex is superior, we shall seek for a cup...
On the quick run I can't locate a source over here, only found the 120lb tub on Ebay.com...

BTW: what about the Mobil Polyrex ep 2 msds, this seems to have some additives?

I don't think there is anything magical about the Mobil Polyrex EP2. As I stated in the OP, my Gold Wing Honda Factory Service Manual specifically calls for "Shell Gadus S3 T 220 2" grease in the steering head bearings. I'm thinkin' you may have an easier time getting the Shell grease on the Continent than we do getting it in the States.

Actually, any good quality polyurea-based grease with similar specs to the Shell grease should fit the bill. Let us know what you can find over there.

If nothing else, keep an eye on eBay, as I see individual 14 oz. cartridges of the Mobil Polyrex EP2 grease come up from time to time.

Good luck!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I don't think there is anything magical about the Mobil Polyrex EP2. As I stated in the OP, my Gold Wing Honda Factory Service Manual specifically calls for "Shell Gadus S3 T 220 2" grease in the steering head bearings. I'm thinkin' you may have an easier time getting the Shell grease on the Continent than we do getting it in the States.
Quite right, being Dutch, Shell is the more present party of the "seven sisters" over here...

Interestingly the data sheet classifies the Gadus S3 V220AC for horizontal orientation, extreme temps, high loads and waterproof...
For the same usage plus shock loads (would be logical on head bearings) they suggest the Gadus S2 V220AD...
Appendix code:
A - waterproof
C - coloured lubricant
D - shock loads

Yep, selecting proper lubricant is a science... ;-)

Hi Folks - I don't own an ST - I found this page whilst investigating steering head bearing grease. (I've a 1949 Ariel Sq4)...
Recommendation from "Southern Lubricants" is to use a Lithium "Complex" e.g. Mobil XHP222 because it has far better
stiction (more tacky) and is thus less likely to be washed out by water ingress or spray.
The stuff is available in the UK via Amazon at around £10.50 for 400gms.
Cheers. - Ride SAFE.

Bike
VStrom 650
Hi Folks - I don't own an ST - I found this page whilst investigating steering head bearing grease. (I've a 1949 Ariel Sq4)...
Recommendation from "Southern Lubricants" is to use a Lithium "Complex" e.g. Mobil XHP222 because it has far better
stiction (more tacky) and is thus less likely to be washed out by water ingress or spray.
The stuff is available in the UK via Amazon at around £10.50 for 400gms.
Cheers. - Ride SAFE.
A SQUARIEL?
:worthless:.
Welcome aboard from Northumberland UK.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Nah - 'twas goose grease & beef dripping back in those days....
Probably whatever animal they had at hand, or whatever they came across as road kill. I do remember reading in the c.1850's during the gold rush, they would pull the wagon wheels and lube the axle with tallow. Since there were no hydraulic jacks to lift the wagon, the strongest guy probably held up the corner until the kid was finished and replaced the wheel. Wagons were no Ferraris and they did not need HP grease. I am sure however, that bearings on the wheels would have made a lot of horses happier.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I do remember reading in the c.1850's during the gold rush, they would pull the wagon wheels and lube the axle with tallow.
I read in the 1850's people on wagon forums often debated the benefits of tallow vs. lard for axle lubrication. It was a slow process, with handwritten posts sent by the USPS.

Top Bottom