Simple rear brake re-line

Bike
1991 ST-1100
Hello ST Owners.
Just 3 weeks ago I picked up a `91 1100. it has 3 minor issues, the most serious of which, is it is time, or nearly time for new rear brake pads.
The previous owner informed Me of this before the purchase. Brakes function perfectly now. I was hoping for a link to a video lesson on the
brake job, but have`nt been able to find one. Any tips, or maybe a step by step type demonstration would be very helpful.
Also, after searching "Honda Parts" on-line, I can`t seem to find a listing for just the pads. Only caliper assemblies, etc. So if someone has a link
for good pads online here in the lower 48, that would be a bonus. Been riding My whole life, (Will be 56 Memorial Day) but this is the oldest bike
I have ever purchased. Was hesitant to fork over the cash at first, but SO glad I did. It still looks pretty. Runs & rides perfect. And the Wife
has even taken to it. :D
Not to go off-topic, but, the other 2 minor issues are,,,,,The clock won`t hold time after the key is turned off,,,,,,and the headlight beam
adjustment does`nt work.
I`ve had a lot of bikes of many brands, including mostly Honda, but this is My 1`st Sport Tourer, and when I eventually get a newer one,
it will be in addition to this one. It`s not going anywhere. Going for a ride now. Thanx in advance, from a new Guy,
Scott

go online and search under "brake pads Honda st1100" or in a pinch you can just go to the local Honda motorcycle parts counter - they'll be able to set you up. does the clock reset to 1:00, each time you stop and then restart the bike? check the clock fuse, it should be a 10amp..if that's good remove the front cowling plastic cover and see if you're getting 12volt power delivered to the clock thru the red, with green tracer wire( this should be hot all the time- ignition on or off)). the headlight adjustment does change the head light angle- it's really hard to see the changes, but it does aim at the road...either close or farther down the road from the bike..I've monkeyed with it a lot and still come away with doubts that I've changed things. the only way to check if it's working is to look at the mechanism as you turn the adjuster( this can be observed thru the same front cowling) the control cable is attached to an arm on the back of the headlight housing.- it's little wonder that a lot of members here have elected to abandon the adjuster and install a farkel in place of the adjuster knob. ....... I would suggest that you get a repair manual for the ST1100-i find it very helpful. hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ohio Roller
Bike
1991 ST-1100
Thanks You Guys for the response,,,,,,,,Marked the fish saved. Again, I hate to go off-topic, but yes, the clock goes to 1:eek:o after the
key is turned off. I have the honda manual, but still am hesitant about pulling off the fairing/body panels. I tried to loosen one of the
huge phillips-type body panel screws the other day, & it would not budge. This Bike Rocks! Been riding all morning, & It makes for a perfect
Birthday/Memorial Day combo. I guess the truth is,,,, I`m paranoid of removing body/fairing panels.
Anyway, I put about 75 miles on it this morn. I freakin love it. Top of the line Birthday experience. I hate bird-****.
Scott

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Taking the panels off isn't too hard. Just pay attention to the order they come off and where the fasteners go.
I like to lay the pieces out in the order they came off and keep the screws nearby. Then reverse the order when ready to reassemble. After a few times, you'll start to remember where everything goes.

ST1100Rider on Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Ohio Roller
Bike
1991 ST-1100
OK Guys "Waldo",,,, I`m sure I have seen this elsewhere on here,,,, can`t remember where,,, but what the hell exactly is a farkel ? Will a
windscreen farkel help on My rear disc brake repair? LOL

Best birthday I`ve had in years. Did not scrape my pegs, but thought I was going to a few times.
Scott (Did about 120 miles)

Sorry, Ohio.. A farkel is an accessory or modification done to a motorcycle. The rightness of doing so, rests solely in the riders/owner's eyes.

Last edited:

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Here's another definition.

F.A.R.K.L.E. -- Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive

Bike
1993 ST1100
I set up a forum discount with Keith At Mason City Honda.Tell him you are a ST-owners member and have your part numbers ready as a courtesy.You can try a couple other online sources but he should be the cheapest.
http://www.masoncityhonda.com/

Top Bottom