Which Nomar tire change?

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Which No-Mar tire changer?

I take it the "classic" is the one folks here used to call the No-Mar. So now there are the Cycle Hill, the Classic, the Pro Jr., the Cruiser, and the Pro.

I need to change tires on both my ST1300 and my VTX 1800C. Also my XR650R (Honda) and my KDX 220 (Kawasaki)(maybe I don't need a changer for the dirt bikes, been out of riding for a good while). I want to balance as well and I want to break the beads while the wheel is sitting on the changer. Anybody know which of these I need, or will the cheapest (Cycle Hill) do the ST and the VTX just fine? Cheaper is better if it works well.

Thanks.
Jim

PS - I did a search on tire changer threads and didn't see any new changers mentioned but if there is a new kid on the block besides No-Mar, would like to know.

Last edited:
Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
I have the Pro Jr., but I think the only difference in it & the classic is that the classic uses square tubing & the Pro Jr. uses round (a little heavier). I think you will be happy with any model that NoMar makes. I have the static balance stand, as well. I have been well pleased with the setup.....a bit expensive, but well past paying for itself @ $50-$100 mounting charge for a set at the STealer. Good luck.

John

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
We've been using a Classic for several years, with good results. I would suggest that you get the "posi-clamps," which do a much better job of keeping the wheel from rotating when mounting the new tire. We're also using the No Mar balancer; works great.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I have a Classic I bought off of Craig's list a few years back. It came with the Posi-Clamps. Glad it did, because I use them half the time. The guy I bought it from said they were required to do the tires on his GL1800.

I wish the Classic would do smaller wheels. It only goes down to 10". Half the time when one of my friends or family brings a tire over to be mounted, it seems like it's a little trailer tire. With enough screwing around, a few wood spacers, and the Posi-clamps (maybe mounted backwards), I can make the smaller wheels work, but it's a pain.

Consider the way you'll mount it. Mine has the mount for a 2" receiver. I'd go the same way again. Once in a while I have to put a bottle jack on the ground under the hitch when there is too much truck suspension bounce while breaking a bead. When not it use the No-Mar hangs from a hook on a garage rafter. Heavy to get it up there, but it's out of the way.

Bead breaker isn't standard on the Cycle Hill, Classic won't easily do small tires, Pro Junior would do everything. But it's the most money.

HTH, Ken

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Hey guys, thanks a lot. Sounds like any of the NoMars would work....maybe the Cycle Hill complete package has a bead breaker, I'll check.
Jim

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I have the Pro and it works great on car and bike tires, except Bridgestones... man those suckers are stiff and why I switched to Michelin's :)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, if you want the bead breaker to be used on the changer vs on the ground then the No-mar ones would meet that need. I have the classic and it's great. If you do dirt-bike tires you may want to get the different tire clamps - like those on the cycle hill - that are sold separately, they do make clamping the rims pretty fast.

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Thanks again, guys. That's what else I needed to know.

Mellow....ST-1200? What's that?

Jim

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Price everything out first. When I was done with everyting I wanted on my Cycle Hill, I was just about at the price for the No Mar. I still went with the Cycle Hill and it has been working great on the ST tires. Have done 1500 wing tires also. I do have to strap down the rim as it will slip, evey with the Cycle Hill rim clamps. I just can not get them tight enough.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not to jump ahead of Howard, But I have changed 16" tires that were on a cargo van. No problem at all....much easier than some m/c tires. I have the Pro Jr.

John
John - That's good to know. My Harbor Freight is getting long in tooth and has more than paid for itself. I like the air one, but the NoMar Pro is a little cheaper than the air machine.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Howard - So you've done car tires on your NoMar Pro? Particular sizes?
Yes, I've done 13" and 15" so far. I'm no expert by any means, but it's relatively easy with the right tools. Plus, you need a decent compressor (volume) to get the bead to seat quickly on some. My neighbor had a couple of Dunlops and we use Michelins here.

Top Bottom