Kilimanjaro in hot weather?

Bike
2008 Honda ST13
I am using the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket for its first season. It's been great in the cooler weather. Now that it is finally starting to warm up here in Minnesota, I am finding it hard to believe this is a three season jacket, unless they meant fall, winter, and spring. It has been in the upper 70's or barely in the 80's and it seems really hot to me. I took out the liner and opened the vents. When I'm moving it's not too bad, but when I stop I start boiling. (Inside my full face helmet too.) it probably doesn't help that I have it in black. I can't imagine wearing it when it gets above 85. What have others experienced with this jacket? Am I missing something? Right now I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy another jacket or forego the armor and just wear a t-shirt.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Right now I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy another jacket or forego the armor and just wear a t-shirt.
Another armored well-vented jacket is cheaper then skin grafts. ;)
And less painful too.

I use the FirstGear Venture AT Mesh Jacket, don't think it is made anymore. Part mesh, part textile, works good from 60 to 112?.
Saved my skin when I did a slide on a back country road (pre-ST days). Had a few slight abrasions on it, but I was up and fine (with only a slightly dis-located shoulder, armor can't stop that). Checked with a few tailors in the area and no-one could get the proper material to patch the sections. Took it to a leather place (does shoes and luggage) and he put some patches over the abrasions. I only had scraped the left side but he did both sides to make it look good.

Last edited:

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I found my Kilimanjaro jacket too hot once above around 80? for me personally. I bought an Olympia Moab 3-piece that I wear 3 season now and use the Kilimanjaro only in cold weather below 50? or so. It's a heavy jacket that vents fair, but not great IMO. I also have the First Gear Mesh Tex that I took to Arizona to use there. I think a lighter mesh jacket with a light liner would work better riding in heat and/or use a cooling vest of some sort. Soaking a long sleeve cotton shirt under a liner lasts pretty long too.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
I have a Kilimanjaro too and agree that it's way too hot for summer riding. I now ride in an Olympia Air Glide most of the time and only use the Kili
when it gets really chilly at the end of the season.

Patty

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
With all the vents open, it's tolerable at 80 if you're moving. I switch to mesh when it gets to 70. (Actually, my mesh jacket with a liner is good at 60, with a long sleeve shirt underneath.)

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
I have a First Gear mesh jacket that I got from RevZilla. I've never used the liner, I got it in the spring, it's just not been cold enough here for it. I expect that it will work for 10 months of riding. There's only 2 months that are cold enough to need much cold weather gear. I'm kinda lucky that way.

Even the mesh is too warm some days, but too warm is less uncomfortable than road rash.....

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I have the TourMaster Transition (similar to the Killi) and find that it is great as long as the temps are below 70, any warmer than that and I'm donning my FirstGear Mesh Tech.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
I have the TourMaster Transition (similar to the Killi) and find that it is great as long as the temps are below 70, any warmer than that and I'm donning my FirstGear Mesh Tech.
Ditto to what Pat said, although I've worn my TourMaster in 90 degrees and not as cool as my mesh jacket, it's doable.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
My wife has the Kilimanjaro jacket and keeps her warm. Like others say 65 to 70 the mesh comes out. Great jacket though!!!

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Still have a Tourmaster "T2" , and it's a great 3 season jacket. FALL, WINTER, & SPRING in this area. Probably very close to the Killimanjaro in all specs. Agree - It IS too much in the summer, but still use it about 10 - 20% of the time. Very close to replacing it with a "T3", but still need to get a lighter, cooler jacket for the hot season. LOL

Bike
2003 ST1300
I use the First Gear Kili exclusively (full disclosure; I live in the Pacific NW), but I do get to California and Montana and Idaho, etc. I always have my gel vest on, so the Kili jacket feels 10 degrees cooler with the water charged gel vest. I've been in temps to 106 and survived, but what jacket feels great at 106? I don't know how well the jacket would feel in a very humid climate.

Top Bottom