Rear brake failure (linked to SMC)

Bike
ST1300
Well I had the tank lifted to replace the air filter anyways so it was easier with it up
For sure the short run of hose between tanks can be a problem - that's why I have a spare on hand...

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
If you have an ABS bike and do not keep your brakes in top order, there is always the possibility that one day, when you most need it, the ABS will not be there... only you will assume that it is and apply full braking effort....

Then, as you bounce down the road, you will know why looking after ABS brakes does become a little more critical, because on a non ABS bike you would not, or perhaps should not, apply full military braking effort in the wet, or even in the dry... because if you lock that front wheel....

An experienced rider would possibly know just how much pressure to apply to that front AND rear brake, but in the heat of the moment, you can overdo it that little bit lock the front and go bouncing down the road.....

We know this happens as we have read it on here more than once....

I also know of at least one rider whose ABS ceased functioning and apparently took the rest of the brakes off line with it.... don't know how and I actually don't think it was lack of maintenance... but it happened...

If your pistons are not moving back in and out as they should and the ABS tries to release the brake on that wheel, the brake may not come off....

Hopefully this explains what I was getting at because of course I never implied or even stated that the brakes on a NON ABS bike were any less important.... but you knew that... right?

:confused:

Bike
ST1300A
I my case I had a lock up resulting in a crash and injury. Later tear down didn't show any issues with the SMC. It moved fine through its full range and bore and piston showed no sign of corrosion. I never did find any cause of the original crash which is kind or more troubling than running into a know problem :(

Since the issue the bike has been working fine but it is hard not thinking about the crash every time I drive it.
I haven't been able to check over the brakes as I had to leave the bike behind. The bike is likely to be written off by the insurance company. I am not sure I will be bringing the bike home if they do classify it as totalled. The brakes were bled with a continuous vacuum system. My mechanic has always been very thorough going over in detail what he found and what was done. I am doing physiotherapy for my shoulder and back. I can understand your questioning when you drive the bike.
I would be interested in connecting to find out more of what happened to you.

Earlier this month I had the rear caliper problem on my 2010. If you can crack the rear bleeder on the rear caliper and it releases then it's the SMC hanging up. The repair was done under warranty and the tech told me the replacement part was different than the original so I think Honda has made an improvement. The repair part # 45620-MCS-G04.

Len

Top Bottom