Faulty lean sensor. Bypass the relay?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the followup. A few of us were (are) "invested" in your issue.

Wonder how the relay came to be loose. They're normally fastened quite securely to the subframe.

John

via iPhone 4S

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
Yes, thanks for the update. Sounds corrected, time and miles will tell the tale.

Last edited:

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
It souds like you have fixed the problem. I will keep it in mind for my 97 and 02 ST's. Bypassing the vacuum cutoff might be a good idea too. It is a simple job and then you know it can't be a problem.

OP
OP
Eagle59
Bike
1997 ST1100
STArnie13

Yup, I did that this weekend. Took all of about 5 minutes. I replaced the stock fuel filter with a glass see-through type while I was there. I'm planning a summer road trip with a friend who runs a 93 ST. I think I'm going to throw an extra golf tee and a few hose clamps in my tool kit, you know, just in case.

I can't figure how the relay came loose. You can see where it is supposed to mount if you remove the right side mirror shroud and look into the vent hole in the upper fairing. You can see the rounded bottom of the BAS and (if it were there) the fuel relay next to it. I tried to wriggle the relay back into it's mounting position but without taking apart the tupperware, there's just not enough room. The next time I'm that deep into dis-assembly, I will re-mount the relay to it's proper home.

OP
OP
Eagle59
Bike
1997 ST1100
Update: What I thought was the BAS relay was actually the headlight relay. When I returned from the Canadian road trip (A fantastic ride by-the-way) I decided to properly remount the bank angle relay. When I removed the windshield, garnish and lower dash panel to get access behind the headlight, I found the BAS relay right where it was supposed to be. The headlight relay was the one displaced. That means that all of the effort diagnosing and pontificating on the original problem was way off the mark. That had me really scratching my head. All this time I was thinking I had solved the intermittent engine cut-out problem but apparently that was not the case.
While I was remounting and testing the relocation of the headlight relay I could hear clicking of relays and the whir of the fuel pump going on and off while I was fiddling around and wriggling the wiring harness. There was a bad or broken wiring connection somewhere in the harness that runs just under the instruments. After close inspection and testing I spotted a badly kinked red wire on the main harness that plugs into the Bank Angle Sensor connector. I was able to remove this metal clip from the green connector. I cut it off the wire, striped back and soldered the clip to the red wire and re-assembled. I could not get the failure condition to occur again by moving, bending or twisting the wires with the ignition on or the bike running. You can see the repaired connector in the picture. The gray shielded cable on the left goes to the BAS. The headlight relay is still hanging upside down by the right fork leg.
The wiring harness is all bundled up and neatly cable tied securely in place. The headlight relay has a new home and all seems well now. I also verified that the bike will not run if the BAS is not connected so that conclusion I made a few posts above is not correct.
This whole problem came down to an intermittent wiring connection in a critical circuit. These are worst kind of problems to find and correct. It had me making all sorts or crazy thoughts and goofy conclusions. There’s a lesson in here somewhere. I’m amazed the problem didn’t rear its ugly head on the road trip.BankAngleWire8x6.jpg

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Great discovery. Glad you didn't have problems during your ride. That would've been awful.

Top Bottom