Anybody ride with Kevlar jeans or equivalent?

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I ride full ATGATT when in Boston, but I just picked up another bike (1980 CX500) in Phoenix. I did bring out a spare mesh jacket and pants (First Gear), but I find that riding around out there is damn hot (seasonally of course). I was considering a pair of Competition Accessories cargo pants with the CE armor rather than, say shorts and the mesh pants. The mesh pants work, don't get me wrong, but when running errands and stuff I think the cargo pants would be more "functional" while at the same time safety conscious. Riding in 110? is brutal... I don't care how dry it is. I picked up the bike and rode home ATGATT all highway in 103? and my sweat was evaporating like a fart in the wind, even after dousing with water. Pros? Cons?

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Motoport Stretch Kevlar street jeans (no denim involved). You send them a good fitting pair of jeans and they duplicate em for size. Just like wearing comfy jeans but with armor. All pros, no cons. Even off the bike. Plus they still look about new after many many miles/years.

Last edited:
Bike
GL1800A/ST1300A
I wear Motoport kevlar air mesh jacket and pants. Wear liners and electrics in the winter. Protected all the time…...

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a pair of Kevlar lined Draggan Jeans. Have not tested them yet but they look like normal jeans, and are comfortable all day.

I have a pair of the black jeans, not the cargo style, with the Kevlar lining from Competition Acc.. Hate to tell you they are very comfortable but pretty warm. I don't have the armor but that would probably make them even warmer. I have mesh Olympia pants I use on long trips but bought these regular looking pants just to be not so obvious when casual riding. Not sure if the cargo style fitting is the same as the blue, black jeans style but they come large like Comp. Acc. says on their site. I normally wear a 36 waist and bought the 34 and they are still a little big on me.

Last edited:
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I have a pair of Kevlar lined Draggan Jeans. Have not tested them yet but they look like normal jeans, and are comfortable all day.

I had a pain of "Draggin' Jeans" 10 or 15 years ago but only wore them a few times because they were just too hot for our summer temps down here in SE Texas (100+ w/ high humidity).

Bike
2005 ST1300
Why not Bohn armor with shorts and T shirt? That should be a good combo in the heat...right?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have a pair of sliders Kevlar jeans that I wear sometimes. The sliders brand is a house brand for competition accessories. The nice thing about the sliders is that they have pockets inside to fit regular armor into. So far I am happy with them but don't wear them as often as my regular riding pants.

I just picked up a couple of pairs of Bullit jeans. One are the VoloCE (CE Level 2) and the other are the Laser4's. The VoloCE's are extremely thick and warm....my spring/fall jeans. The others will be my summer jeans. Had a pair of tourmaster pants prior and the more I read about crash results of various materials the quicker I wanted out of any kind of textile material.
Honestly.....textile material is practically useless for slide protection.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I wear Draggin Jeans. They are comfortable (they have different fits) and the quality seems real good. If at all possible I suggest going there in person and trying the different fits.

I wear Draggin Jeans. They are comfortable (they have different fits) and the quality seems real good. If at all possible I suggest going there in person and trying the different fits.
+1 on this. The fit for the majority of jeans I tried on was all over the map...even within the same brands.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The mesh pants work, don't get me wrong, but when running errands and stuff I think the cargo pants would be more "functional" while at the same time safety conscious. Riding in 110? is brutal... I don't care how dry it is. I picked up the bike and rode home ATGATT all highway in 103? and my sweat was evaporating like a fart in the wind
When you are approaching temperature considerably hotter then your body you actually need to limit airflow and control the evaporation. Full mesh is not cooler for your body because as you said, the sweat disappears way too fast.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sitting on cotton jeans for long distance - no way I can do that. Maybe in a dry heat sweat evaporates away but there is no pro to wearing cotton in normal to high humidity because cotton retains moisture against the skin and is extremely slow to dry. It hurts me to think about it.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I have John Doe Kevlar jeans now for over a year, expensive but I get a lot of wear from them, heavy material and they are warm enough to wear year round, we don't get very hot weather here though, shower proof as well, but I'd usually pull on a set of waterproof leggings if it's going to be showery.
I'd imagine in a slide the Kevlar would give better protection than textile, not sure how good leather would be.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'd imagine in a slide the Kevlar would give better protection than textile, not sure how good leather would be.
Good m/c grade leatehr is the best, kevlar second and textile (good textile) third.
100% cotton denim, will last about 2 feet in a 30 foot slide.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Good info here all around and that's what I was looking for...thanks! I do have a full m/c black leather jacket, but in 100?+... no thanks.

Top Bottom