Saftey switch in clutch a little touchy

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I noticed just recently whenever I try to start my 2001 ST1100 in gear that if I pull the clutch in too far it may not engage the starter. Letting it off just a bit always works and a start in neutral works fine. I'm not too concerned, but since I have a big trip planned this summer I just wanted to know what to look for?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Sounds like the switch contacts may be corroded. The switch mechanism is a bit chincy and is not a sealed unit. Pull it and clean what you can. A fingernail emery board on the contacts. I'd probably just replace it. BTDT

Not a critical condition though, you've got the simple work-around.

John

OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Sounds like the switch contacts may be corroded. The switch mechanism is a bit chincy and is not a sealed unit. Pull it and clean what you can. A fingernail emery board on the contacts. I'd probably just replace it. BTDT

Not a critical condition though, you've got the simple work-around.

John
Can you show me where I would looking for this? Near the clutch or somewhere else?

Thanks John.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Can you show me where I would looking for this? Near the clutch or somewhere else?
It's the black plastic piece that the clutch lever contacts when pulled. Has two wires connected to it. I can find a picture if you really need one. Pretty simple, really...

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
When mine did that on my 1300 it was the pivot on the lever. I changed the lever and all was right again.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The inside parts grow prone to corrosion... an occasional squirt of ACF-50 or alike (any plastic compatible dielectric contact lube) through the opening shown in the CMS pic does help.
I've made removing and lubing brake- and clutch-switch an annual SOP... never had any issues though...

Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
The same switch on my '01 failed a month ago at 58,000 miles. I cleaned it and dielectric greased it back to working and ordered a new switch---appx $11.00. Installed the new switch and dielectric greased it as well. Seems like I learned about the fix from reading this forum...:)

Bike
1997 ST1100
Had a similar experience with the brake switch. If I just barely pulled the brake, lights go on. Continue to apply brake pressure, lights flicker and go out. Faulty contacts inside the switch. I took it off the bottom of the mount and was able to blast carb cleaner into the two little holes that are part of the locator studs while working the contact plunger. Blew it out with air and followed up with Deoxit contact cleaner. I may have to replace eventually but it's working now.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Addressed a bit different clutch switch issue this weekend... Would have to pull in lever VERY hard to start in gear. Pulled the lever, and ended up there must be some wear going on so I put a thick slice of aluminum tape over the contact point to "shim" it a bit and all is well. While you're in there, clean and lube the pivot points; the clutch gets used a LOT more than the brakes. Amazingly smooth travel now.

Top Bottom