Zumo 590

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Anyone pick up one of these yet? If so, your review please?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Resisting the urge until I actually play with one in person and hopefully the prices get better........ Zumo 550 has served me well for 7 years, the 590 looks like the updated replacement if the user interface is as good as the 550. No rush.

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
I ordered one one over the weekend direct from Garmin and it shipped today
so time will tell. is it worth 800 bucks. probably not but we will soon see

OP
OP
nerSTeve

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I ordered one one over the weekend direct from Garmin and it shipped today
so time will tell. is it worth 800 bucks. probably not but we will soon see
Yeah I don't pay retail. Just can't decide if selling my 660 for the (cough) "upgrade" is worth it. My 660 has done the job just fine since 2011, just curious if the screen is really as sunlight friendly as they say it is.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Well, my 2730 is getting old in the tooth, and needs a new touchscreen anyway. But that price is a tough nut to crack for me.

Awaiting the reviews.

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
well it is here. and it looks big. big is good when your eyes are getting old. sure wish that was the only thing getting old. oh well.
anyway there is lots of wire, cable with it. need to read and see what it is all about.

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Looks good! Be sure to tell us your first impressions. One of these days, way out there, I'd like a Zumo 390 or 590.

ST1100Rider on Tapatalk Pro

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
the first thing I notice about it is I see no way to lock it on the bike. my old 550 had that security screw where even if you had the special screw driver you could hardly get it off. I think the way it goes into sleep mode to save batt is good and that it wakes up fast. we have not had any sun yet to see how it does outside in the sun. I think the tire pressure monitor system is nice I will use it. I think the valve stem caps are over priced but then it does say Garmin
more to come as I get more time to play with it.

John
I had not seen the RTE but I do not think I will be there. 9am and the map says 2.5 hours
get up at 5.30 - 6 to leave by 6.30 too early for me

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

John
I had not seen the RTE but I do not think I will be there. 9am and the map says 2.5 hours
get up at 5.30 - 6 to leave by 6.30 too early for me
You could still ride up and chat with us afterwards....we likely will still be there at 1030. No worries if we cant meet you.

Let us know how the 590 settles in for you.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
the first thing I notice about it is I see no way to lock it on the bike.
I found that a little disappointing, too.

Touratech makes a locking mount that pushes the price of installing a 590 above a kilobuck. I have a feeling the cheap solution is going to be a metal plate that bolts in between the cradle and the RAM ball and completely covers the release button and possibly the part at the top the holds the unit in place. Not 100% secure, but enough to deter crimes of opportunity.

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I see the Z590 has not been upgraded with the addition of an "Avoid Slums" option.

WAIT!!! No XM??? No satellite radio, no NAV-WEATHER??? Well, that's a deal-breaker for me. I'll keep my Z665.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I am unable to determine from Garmin's literature whether it has an earphone jack somewhere. I wonder if it handles both bluetooth (paired to phone and BT headset ) AND also allows the music audio to be streamed into the earphone jack. The Zumo 550 does... and I really like that functionality.

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
I am unable to determine from Garmin's literature whether it has an earphone jack somewhere. I wonder if it handles both bluetooth (paired to phone and BT headset ) AND also allows the music audio to be streamed into the earphone jack. The Zumo 550 does... and I really like that functionality.
It does. It's part of the MC cradle wiring bundle.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
You can however stream the equivalent of all that and more from your smart phone.
I ride in a lot of areas that has no cell service ... mostly in WV. Are smart phones as waterproof as the Z665? I don't own a smart phone, and I'm not so sure I want or need one. I enjoy my pre-paid cell service ... costs about $100 per year.

Last edited:

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
I ride in a lot of areas that has no cell service ... mostly in WV. Are smart phones as waterproof as the Z665? I don't own a smart phont, and I'm not so sure I want or need one. I enjoy my pre-paid cell service ... costs about $100 per year.
The cell coverage can be an issue but I haven't run into many dead zones in the last few years. Waterproof? Why? The phone stays in your pocket/tank bag. XM prices have been slowly creeping up and their quality has dropped IMO. I've dropped all my subscriptions. The full WX weather (not Nav Weather, I never was a fan) was going to be close to $50.00 per month on my 478. Not worth it when I can get the same detail and county specific warnings for a one time charge of $9.95.

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
0174_zps356d9f14.jpg
black and red are power and ground
the 3 together are audio in mic in and audio out
the large one at the bottom is a female usb to plug in your thumb drive
all these wires are from the motorcycle cradle. it does not have a plug on the gps

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
I have had a day or 2 with the new 590. here are some of my thoughts

processor is much faster. does not take anytime at all to have it plan your trip

the screen being larger is nice for older eyes like mine

smartphone link
cool for live data from phone, traffic, weather

audio seems much louder and better

service history is nice. not sure I will use it as I keep that info in another place but it might be nice to have it in the gps

TPMS is very nice. I have had it for a long time on my gold wings and so I am not ready to be without this info

lane assist is nice to know ahead of time which lane I should be in

posted speed limit for this road is nice. I never seem to know this info. it is not 100% but it is a feature I like

one thing that was strange this morning on the way to work, with lots of traffic, the bluetooth feature told me it had found a new device (it was from a car close by) and wanted to know if I wanted to pair and play music from it

Top Bottom