Zumo 590

Bike
2006 ST1300A
In other words, we're not navigating through a line of thunderstorms on a minute-by-minute basis ...
Sorry, but I have done exactly that using the weather info on my Z665. The Z665 weather info also includes a repeating loop which lets the user see which direction weather is moving. Unlike the "big picture" weather info which was available on the Zumo 550, the Zumo 665 provides sufficient information to make those tactical decisions. I may observe rain falling along my route on the Z665, and the information helps me decide to stop and apply rain gear OR just ride through it because it's not a substantial rain ... or change my route. With "big picture" data, I'd probably apply rain gear at the first drop, but cuss myself later for either putting on the gear or leaving it on so long as to create my own rolling sauna (that stuff usually doesn't breathe too well).

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Sorry, but I have done exactly that using the weather info on my Z665.
If you intend to do the same with a Zumo 590, I strongly recommend that you evaluate the weather information presented on the 590 very carefully before laying out the money. I'm not highly knowledgeable about the Zumo 590 weather features (for reasons I have listed above, I don't use the weather features much), however I do suspect that Garmin gets weather data for the 590 from a different source than the XM source used by the 665, and that implies that the scope and nature of the 590 weather data may be different from the 665.

I have also noticed that the speed at which the 590 fetches the weather data seems to be slower than the speed that XM based devices (for example, the aircraft) fetch weather data.

Michael

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The two display weather closely enough that it's a wash. One, 665 by xm, one, 590 via phone app. The 665 will be more reliable obviously. Of course, if you typically have good cell service then the 590 is just as good and a cheaper option.

Found your reply on the Zumo query and wanted to ask about your 665. I've been using a 550 for years and had it "refurbished" (Read: Replaced) by Garmin three times. But they no longer support the 550. Even though the 550's still working fine it's just a matter of time...

And since the 550 doesn't have Nav-Weather I got a 276C to run alongside it on my RKA bag. Yup...two antennas too. Put 'em on top of my HARD case for my radar detector. But...the connector broke in the 276C's back where the antenna is slotted in. Couldn't find anyone stateside so I sent it to SatNav in London for repair. Got hung up in their Post Office awaiting further funds ($^#@?) and SatNav refuses to follow up with the post office to see what I can do go get it to them. So I've also accepted the inevitable and realized that I need to replace my 550 with a newer model with Nav-Weather, XM, et cetera.

How do you like the 665? Is it a good replacement for the 550? Can you see the screen clearly? I've read reviews on some newer models that indicates that the screen washes out in sunlight. I would really appreciate any and all input you could give me on it.

Thanks much, my friend.

Tim (Scuffy) Macy from Newberg, OR

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Tim:

I have had a Zumo 660 for about 3 years now on my ST 1100 (the bike I keep in Europe). It works just fine, I've never had any problems reading it in sunlight. You can make a little hood if you wish by purchasing a thin floppy plastic 3 ring binder at Staples or Office Depot for 99?, then cutting it with scissors to make a little hood that goes over the top of the device. Or you can buy the same thing from Touratech for about $50. I have no experience with the 665 version (the one that receives the XM satellite signal), this because XM has no satellite coverage in Europe.

Be aware that if you get a 660 or 665, you might have to buy a small MicroSD card for it to be able to fit the latest version of North American maps. A 4 gig card is more than sufficient, these typically cost about $10.

Michael

Bike
2002 st1100
Can you post picture of speaker set up and maybe part numbers. Miss the external speakers that were on the Goldwing

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
Hey guys, some really good posts here regarding BT, weather etc. One thing I'd like to ask about is your experiences with the routing of the 590.

I've had mine for about 8 months now, and although I like the unit a lot, the one thing I've noticed is the confusing information the unit gives if you are following a programmed route from BaseCamp. I lead a lot of rides for a a group of motorcyclists I hang out with, and so I plan out the ride prior to joining them. I save the files as gdb and then upload to the unit via BaseCamp, if I even save the route to the computer. When I had my 550, I had recalculate turned off, so that I could always see my intended route, whether I rode the route or not. When I would get back on route with the 550, it just took over the countdown to the next point like I had not gone off-route. The 590 does not do this in my experience. If I go off route for whatever reason (road construction, bathroom break, etc.) it want to track me back to the point in the routing that I might have missed. I have tried just going direct to the next point, but sometimes especially when on the move, it is difficult to determine what the next point will be.

What are your experiences with this issue, and have you found a good work around or setting on the unit so that it works more like the 550, as I mentioned above.

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited:

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
I just got one and have to say I prefer it over the 665. I feel like it's a cheaper option vs having XM as that's a subscription-type recurring cost. There are several options for music, line-in, pandora, mp3, bluetooth and I've been relying on MP3 more even on the 665. I only really wanted the weather from XM but you can't just get that without the extra money for the music... A small $4 one-time charge and the smartlink app on your phone and you get the same type of weather alerts/info. Yes, you do need to have cell service to get it so there's always a catch but not a big deal to me.

So far, I like it.
So Mellow, it's been a good year since you started using the 590. I've been using a 665 that I got from a wonderful fellow member in here ;) for about the same amount of time, interestingly. I have been loving it, especially the XM. And, of course the GPS is as reliable as any Garmin unit. BUT ... after an update, and I can't remember what updated now, the bluetooth audio became horrible. Basically unbearable quality in my tender ears. After researching Garmin forums, I see this is not an isolated issue, they do seem to have a weakness of the bluetooth function. So I've been using hardwire audio and it works just fine. Or, I just bluetooth to my iPhone tunes library, but then won't hear Garmin instructions. I still think it's a great unit, and I do love the XM music and weather. But I think I'd be happier with a fresh unit and better bluetooth. I hate being tethered, and the more I read, the more I like the features of the 590.

How are you feeling about the 590 by now? Am I reading the product info correctly that you can link with an iPhone (or other) and have full control and access to the music library in it? And if I have the XM app, with an active subscription, which I do, can that also stream thru the 590 to my bluetooth helmet?

Obviously, I would HOPE there is a nice link with the Garmin Smartphone Link for weather and traffic. Assuming you have some level of a cell signal, would you still say the weather radar is on par with the XM weather that you used to have? Both in quality and up to date accuracy?

Have you been using the TPMS option? I have nothing for that other than a good guage in my tool kit and I think I'd like the peace of mind that constant monitoring would give. The way I see it, it's probably a couple hundred bucks for a stand alone TPMS, so that adds to the value of the 590 a bit.

Being an uber geek, I have been hovering my finger over the add to cart button for a few days now. I like to have the latest and greatest gadgetry. But, I'd really like to hear how it's been for others after some real world use.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wow, that is a coincidence.. lol

I still like it, but just haven't taken a years worth of trips on it.. but have done a couple long ones. I would like an xm option as it was nice to get new/comedy (diff channels, really)..

I don't have an iphone. I basically use the mp3 player just like I did on the 665. My android phone is paired to it for calls and for using the smartlink for weather and that works just like the xm weather and in fact I think better, as long as you have a cell sig.

It does have this annoying DING! every time you get near a school zone which I'd like to take off because there's always enough notice of those IMO. I keep forgetting to look for an option for that until I'm on a trip and hear DING!.. LOL

While I'd like to have the TPMS, I just haven't shelled out for it an my not.

One thing I really like is the Bluetooth interface is much faster and reliable vs the 665. Sometimes on the 665 I'd get mono music because I'd have to turn on the headset/phone/gps in a specific order and sometimes would have to shut the headset / gps off then reboot to get back to stereo music. The 590 hasn't had that issue.

The interface software is much better and more customizable - love the 'look ahead' pop-up which will give you a list of things like gas/food/lodging AHEAD of you on your route, not just near you - which may be behind you.. and I hate turning around. LOL

Sorry, that's about the only update I can give you currently... I am happy with it.

So Mellow, it's been a good year since you started using the 590. I've been using a 665 that I got from a wonderful fellow member in here ;) for about the same amount of time, interestingly. I have been loving it, especially the XM. And, of course the GPS is as reliable as any Garmin unit. BUT ... after an update, and I can't remember what updated now, the bluetooth audio became horrible. Basically unbearable quality in my tender ears. After researching Garmin forums, I see this is not an isolated issue, they do seem to have a weakness of the bluetooth function. So I've been using hardwire audio and it works just fine. Or, I just bluetooth to my iPhone tunes library, but then won't hear Garmin instructions. I still think it's a great unit, and I do love the XM music and weather. But I think I'd be happier with a fresh unit and better bluetooth. I hate being tethered, and the more I read, the more I like the features of the 590.

How are you feeling about the 590 by now? Am I reading the product info correctly that you can link with an iPhone (or other) and have full control and access to the music library in it? And if I have the XM app, with an active subscription, which I do, can that also stream thru the 590 to my bluetooth helmet?

Obviously, I would HOPE there is a nice link with the Garmin Smartphone Link for weather and traffic. Assuming you have some level of a cell signal, would you still say the weather radar is on par with the XM weather that you used to have? Both in quality and up to date accuracy?

Have you been using the TPMS option? I have nothing for that other than a good guage in my tool kit and I think I'd like the peace of mind that constant monitoring would give. The way I see it, it's probably a couple hundred bucks for a stand alone TPMS, so that adds to the value of the 590 a bit.

Being an uber geek, I have been hovering my finger over the add to cart button for a few days now. I like to have the latest and greatest gadgetry. But, I'd really like to hear how it's been for others after some real world use.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Did a quick search and doesn't appear the school zone alerts can be turned off.. ok

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
Did a quick search and doesn't appear the school zone alerts can be turned off.. ok
Ya ... I suppose that is the way of our overly protective culture. Understandable, but overkill.

Do you plug your MP3 player into the line in jack? Or is it bluetooth? I have thought I'd like to just jack in my large capacity iPod with my entire ENORMOUS music library in it. That would keep anyone entertained for weeks.

I am impressed by almost every reviewer that says how fast the processor and screen response is. That is one thing that does make the 665 seem very dated. I often want to scroll around the map and it can be a little frustrating.

I'm thinking I may have to pull the trigger on this one. And I see GPS City has the 590 with TPMS sensors as a package for $960. Since Garmin seems to sell them for $70 each, that seems like a wise choice. IF one were to want the TPMS.

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
Bump!

Hey guys, some really good posts here regarding BT, weather etc. One thing I'd like to ask about is your experiences with the routing of the 590.

I've had mine for about 8 months now, and although I like the unit a lot, the one thing I've noticed is the confusing information the unit gives if you are following a programmed route from BaseCamp. I lead a lot of rides for a a group of motorcyclists I hang out with, and so I plan out the ride prior to joining them. I save the files as gdb and then upload to the unit via BaseCamp, if I even save the route to the computer. When I had my 550, I had recalculate turned off, so that I could always see my intended route, whether I rode the route or not. When I would get back on route with the 550, it just took over the countdown to the next point like I had not gone off-route. The 590 does not do this in my experience. If I go off route for whatever reason (road construction, bathroom break, etc.) it want to track me back to the point in the routing that I might have missed. I have tried just going direct to the next point, but sometimes especially when on the move, it is difficult to determine what the next point will be.

What are your experiences with this issue, and have you found a good work around or setting on the unit so that it works more like the 550, as I mentioned above.

Thanks!
Scott

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Thanks!
Scott
Scott, I rarely go with auto-routing off.. so sorry I can't comment on this much, I'll try to play with this some the next time I'm on a trip to see what it does but sounds like you've already figured that out... I don't know why it wouldn't, at some point, assume you should go to the next point and not the missed point.

Yeah I don't pay retail. Just can't decide if selling my 660 for the (cough) "upgrade" is worth it. My 660 has done the job just fine since 2011, just curious if the screen is really as sunlight friendly as they say it is.
Go for it, upgrade. And hook me up with the old used one:)
After the VTX sells, I will be in the market, but you and our old pal will have to give me advice on them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom