Changing fork seals - any tips?

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hi,
My left fork seal has gone out quite nicely. There's oil all over the fork, brakes, and even some on the bike itself. So I guess it's time to change the fork seals. The problem is, I don't know much of anything about it. I tried to search the forum in hopes of coming across a thread on how to do it, but no luck. Does anyone know if there is a thread somewhere explaining what's needed and how to change them? My Dad said he would help me out if I get the supplies together and instructions to do it. He used to have a ST1100 and he changed the fork seals on it once, so he has some experience. Also, I hesitate to ask this but...what oil is recommended?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Lydia

OP
OP
LydiaGP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Great, thanks! That is helpful.

Is there any reason to replace the bushings too or just the seal set (seals, ring, and dust seal I think)?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Inspect the bushings while the forks are apart. If approximately 30% of the copper is showing, which means the Teflon is worn away, then it's time to change them.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The mileage on the bike and whether or not the fork oil was ever changed will have everything to do with bushing replacement. In terms of extra work for re-bushing there isn't any more required as you will have the forks apart anyway. The factory installs Honda SS-8 fluid which is described as 10 weight. Light oils used in suspensions do not measure well under SAE weight formulas and some 5 or 7.5 wt oils perform as if they are thicker than 10 wt oils. The only way to compare weights is to stay within the same brand. For instance Honda sells a 5 wt oil that performs differently than Bel Ray 5 wt does. I'm sure you know this but one set of bushings, the upper one, has Teflon on the inner surface while the other is coated on the outside. Sometimes folks see copper showing on the non-wearing surface of the bushing and assume its toasted when its actually has little wear.

This thread has some related info:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?80871-Honda-builds-a-machine-to-go-the-distance-(shocks)&highlight=

Also:

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

This site contains good general info on comparing fork oils and has a chart with commonly found suspension fluids and their operating characteristics which allow comparisons across brand lines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LydiaGP
Bike
2007 ST1300
The bike has 89k miles, and I don't think the fork oil has ever been changed (bought it with around 35k and I've never done it).

Thanks for the info about the bushings and the oil! Very helpful.

OP
OP
LydiaGP
Bike
2007 ST1300
So the local dealer has the seals in stock but not the bushings. I was hoping to do the seals this Saturday. Does anyone have familiarity about what mileage would be expected before the bushings need to be replaced?

Also, any idea of a rough time estimate to change these out, assuming everything goes smoothly?

Last edited:
Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The bike has 89k miles, and I don't think the fork oil has ever been changed (bought it with around 35k and I've never done it).

Thanks for the info about the bushings and the oil! Very helpful.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?68569-How-to-install-fork-seals&referrerid=35228

Original fork oil is absolutely shot at 89K. Bushings are cheap - suggest replacing all 4 since the forks are off, along with seals and dust seals. The bushings are trivial to replace once the forks are apart for seal replacement. I think the BUSHINGS (not seals) are ~$24 per pair for inner and outer sets. Seals are $22 and dust seals are $28 I think.

ST1300 is a cartridge fork, so it is different than ST1100 which I think is a standard damper rod fork (as referenced in that video). I think there is info and pictures (maybe video) on RaceTech.com.

>>> RaceTech also stocks seals and bushings (Honda OEM which they say are the best) for the ST1300 forks. They could probably ship them to you overnight if you need them. (Note: just order the whole package from them. The are OUT of the Inner (lower, on fork tube, wear on outside) bushings at present.)

They also sell their super slick synthetic fork oil, but 2 qts is $60.

I've been researching this a lot lately, since I am planning to overhaul my forks and put their valves and springs in shortly. (This coming weekend now)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
So the local dealer has the seals in stock but not the bushings. I was hoping to do the seals this Saturday. Does anyone have familiarity about what mileage would be expected before the bushings need to be replaced?

Also, any idea of a rough time estimate to change these out, assuming everything goes smoothly?
4 to 6 hours if you haven't dropped the forks out before. I'm about half that but have done it 6 or 7 times. There is no need to remove the fairing. I could copy pages of the service manual covering the procedure if you like. If so PM me a fax number. I guess I could scan them and email as well.

OP
OP
LydiaGP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks for all the help! I changed them Saturday. I got the bushings; they didn't end up being that bad but I replaced them since I had them. Actually, I should say "we". My Dad did most of the work, I just helped. The fork that was leaking had a lot of sludge at the bottom. We cleaned it out really well. Now I just have to wait to get my rear brake pads- I didn't pay attention to how low they were and they're shot. But the fork seals went well - thanks again for all the help!

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad it went well. There are a handful of us in Jax that meet sometimes for coffee in Fernandina or River City before a local ride. If you and your dad are interested PM or reply.

Top Bottom