Rear Shock Questions

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
OK, I've got a few questions which answers will spark some more I'm sure (hope anyway). I've got a 97 with 90+K miles and am wondering what difference a rear shock change would make. I've changed the front fork seals and oil (and head bearings) and that's nice and all, but I'm wondering about the rear. I'm not a speed demon so I'm not pushing it to the edge or anything, but ...
I'm changing the belt and water pump and checking out the various parts and pieces soon so I was thinking of what other things might could get changed. Would it make a real difference? FWIW, thinking of the Progressive 465.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Simply put, IMHO:
The rear shock and spring replacement will make the bike feel like a new and different/better! bike.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
If this is the original shock you're replacing you will notice a difference. Some say the OEMs are good for around 40-50K. I just put on my 4th Honda OEM shock today, along with the 14th or 15th rear Exedra. Suits me fine with Progressive springs up front. Our Ricky Racers will recommend their favorite aftermarket shocks.

FWIW

John

via iPhone 4S

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
My OEM rear shock died last year. I went with the Progressive 465 and I like it. Just mount it upside down so it clears the inner fender. I ride about 70% solo, & 30% with my wife with me. I think I still need to increase the preload on it, but very happy with it.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I like the Works Pro Racer as well. You can send it back to Works to have it rebuilt whenever it starts to leak. I have one on its way back to me now. It cost $160 to rebuild, including a new shaft (this added $45). So think very reasonable. A new rear shock whether OEM or aftermarket will make the bike feel great. As long as you take time to set it up correctly.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I replaced the OEM shock with a Progressive 465. I used to have to increase the preload on the OEM shock every time I rode 2-up. It is harder to adjust the preload on the 465, but I found that the factory settings are fine for solo or 2-up.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
If this is the original shock you're replacing you will notice a difference. Some say the OEMs are good for around 40-50K.
+ 1 to both...
But you then should consider to "match" the front suspension to it (no use to have a "stiff" rear, but a sagging front then...)
At least a stiffer fork oil (like 7W or 10W), or maybe even after-market springs as well...

I'm always amazed when switching from the '00 ST, with Wilbers shock and Hyperpro fork springs, on the '94 with its genuine OEM suspension...
The OEM isn't "bad" per se, but compared it rides like a sofa, bobbing and rolling like an 80ies Oldsmobile estate... :)
Yes, nice for cruising, providing a very comfy ride, but once you want to hammer that rig through a fast or narrow turn, you go like "...uoops...uoooops...UOOOPS...!!!" :lol:
Especially "nice" when the rear starts to wiggle and dance while passing a car/truck at about 100mph... ;-)

Top Bottom