What color is my bike for a spoiler?

Bike
2012 ST1300
Looking through some old threads trying to make sure I have the right paint to paint my top box and spoiler. Seems pretty simple to me, but I guess it's not that simple. Took my paint code to a local paint supplier 20170309_104644.jpg. He gives me everything I need, so I thought. I asked him why the can only says Black, not Graphite Black. He says that's a fancy word they put in front of Black. They're all the same. I don't know how to run a paint sprayer but that didn't sound right to me. Should have questioned him more but I didn't. Now my brother calls me and notices the difference. (before he sprayed anything) He says he talked to a different paint supplier and they told him there is a difference and they put the Graphite in the help hide scratches.

Wanting to get it perfect, looking for a little clarity, thanks

Bike
2012 ST1300
Ya there's no way I'm going to end up looking at my bike and notice a different shade every time. Be it black, grey OR white! I'll make sure I have the right color

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
they told him there is a difference and they put the Graphite in the help hide scratches
I don't think there is any actual graphite in the paint, just using it as a reference to the slight grey speckle you see in the paint.
But as far as helping to hide scratches, self healing paint? I'd like some of that.

The color is the color, most oif it is Honda patent colors, so you can find close but it will never be a perfect match. Much of it is multi-layer coating, that would explain the graphite colored flecks you see.

Bike
2012 ST1300
I don't think there is any actual graphite in the paint, just using it as a reference to the slight grey speckle you see in the paint.
But as far as helping to hide scratches, self healing paint? I'd like some of that.

The color is the color, most oif it is Honda patent colors, so you can find close but it will never be a perfect match. Much of it is multi-layer coating, that would explain the graphite colored flecks you see.
Self healing paint, yeah that'd be nice. Seriously I don't know anything about it, I thought they might have mixed it in to harden the paint to resist scratches. I have a few places to check tomorrow, if not I'm going to rattle can it!! lol

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Your brother obviously knows his business and better than the guy who sold you the paint. The 'hide scratches' bit may be a little far fetched. I'd shop for paint somewhere else. Live and learn unfortunately.

Adding 'graphite' is no doubt adding graphite-colored pigment to the mix.

There have been 'self-healing' coatings that can hide some light scratches. I'm thinking the concept might be similar to the self-healing screen protectors for phones. I've had a couple and they work.

There are different shades of black just as there are for any other color of paint. If there weren't Honda wouldn't have gone to the trouble of supplying a pain code such as NHB01 vs NH1. You're right to hold out for the correct color.

And again you'd be correct in posting copious pics of the finished product! Just sayin'

Bike
2012 ST1300
Thanks ST Gui, I've talked to a couple of different paint suppliers today. One said he has the code in his comp. and could mix it up for me, but it is just black. I asked about the graphite, said he didn't know it just calls for black.

The paint I bought is black, the scratch/healer paint (lol) talk came from another seller my brother talked to on the phone.

I have an extra piece of bodywork from my bike so we're going to do a test panel first.

In 4 years of owning and drooling over my bike I have never noticed any gray tint/sparkles in the paint. Just black.

Keep ya updated...

Top Bottom