PR3 milage from mountain-based owners?

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
First, I love the handling of this tire. BUT....6,000 mile life on the rear is not gonna cut it. That's almost $0.03/mile for the rear only. Or put another way, I burned off $15 of the rear tire just today, and I only rode 8 hrs. I'm not even looking at the front.
I'm seeing lots of people get 10-12,000 miles on the rear (ST1300). I suspect most of those responses are likely getting considerable straight slab milage.
Is anybody that spends 70-80% of the time leaning over getting any real milage out of the PR3? If so, what are you getting and do you ride it like an ST or a cruiser? That's not a poke, I'm really trying to determine if I got a dud or this is to be expected. BTW 42 psi front/rear with a compressor 3 feet away.

Last edited:
I live in twisty land - have had 5 sets of PR3. First three sets were ok - ranging from 9K to just over 11 on Alaska trip for rear (front a little better). Cupped badly by 4K. Always run a little over max pressure (usually 44 pounds) Last two - 6K and 4.5K rear. Switched to a car tire - tired of replacing a tire every month - we'll see how it does.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Do you ride a lot of chip-seal?

I just moved out of the mountains of VA, where just about every road was chip-seal. I would burn through tires on my old PC800 in about 6,000 miles (front and rear!). Meanwhile other PC riders would report 1.5-2x the mileage on the same tires and pressures.

My ST has a little over 1k on its PR3s out here in the tidewater. I'm optimistic that the lack of chip-seal will prolong tire life for me.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
9k to 9.5k miles on my PR3's. Going to but a PR4 on next week. But then I use my ST for longer distance rides. I have the WeeSTrom for mountain blasting.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Do you ride a lot of chip-seal?

I just moved out of the mountains of VA, where just about every road was chip-seal. I would burn through tires on my old PC800 in about 6,000 miles (front and rear!). Meanwhile other PC riders would report 1.5-2x the mileage on the same tires and pressures.

My ST has a little over 1k on its PR3s out here in the tidewater. I'm optimistic that the lack of chip-seal will prolong tire life for me.
I agree with this post, chip seal even ate through my BT020's in no time.
Greg

OP
OP
Svrdhd
Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
I'm also reading this a lot: "I got 10,000 out of my first two PR3's, only got 6,000 on last one". I was at an RTE yesterday, at least 4 bikes running car tires. I'm seriously considering this, it really isn't even unusual anymore.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I average about 6.5k to 7k a tire on the rear of my C14... that's the price of real good sticky tires, HP and TQ... and using the throttle. You can spend less and get a Flinstone tire that'll give you 20k miles, but those days of twisty fun just won't be the same. :D

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The biggest thing for me is the rough pavement out here that kills tires and my right hand has a bigger problem with my tire wear.

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
In southern Utah, I am about 60% straight roads getting to the curvy ones. I very much enjoy how good the ST is at both kinds of roads. I am getting just over 12,500 miles on the rear over three sets of Michellin PR3s. And I don't spare the throttle. PR4s will be my next set, probably this fall. I'm fortunate to be able to ride almost all the year -- with some heated gear December through March.

Top Bottom