Throttle Body Removal...How?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've tried searching and can't find what I'm looking for.

My son Justin told me how he did it. But I was wondering what others have done to remove the throttlebdy, once the screw clamps have been loosened.

Is there a "safe place" to pry on to get them out of the rubber insulators?

Thanks.

Bike
'04 ST1300
IGOFAR has done throttle body sync's on both of my ST's. PM him. He will tell you exactly how and were to do it.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Larry got back with me! Thanks Larry!

And like I told Larry:

Mr. Impatience took over (before Larry got back to me) and I figured if I removed the bolts from the right(except I told Larry left...:( side of the front and rear end braces (got three out completely and the fourth out 95% of the way), that way I would only be fighting with the right side. That worked. I was able to pry on the backend and it popped. I then worked on the leftside and they popped off too. I now have the throttlebody out and will be replacing all coolant and vacuum hoses! :D

Now, I have to wait for the parts to come in! :eek:4:

ThrottleBodyRemoval-s.jpgThrottleBodyRemoval2-s.jpg

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Be careful when you get the throttle body back into the rubber boots that you snug them according to the factory service manual as they are easy to over tighten.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Be careful when you get the throttle body back into the rubber boots that you snug them according to the factory service manual as they are easy to over tighten.
I find they are easy to under tighten. The old boots are no longer supple and need to be snugged pretty good. I've had vacuum leaks using the shop manual method. That resulted in unstable idle that would slightly lope at times.

Bill

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I find they are easy to under tighten. The old boots are no longer supple and need to be snugged pretty good. I've had vacuum leaks using the shop manual method. That resulted in unstable idle that would slightly lope at times.

Bill
Once removed, your not suppose to re-use the old boots, you should replace with new items. You don't tighten them, but rather adjust them so the flats on the bands meet the required distances.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Once removed, your not suppose to re-use the old boots, you should replace with new items. You don't tighten them, but rather adjust them so the flats on the bands meet the required distances.
Okay, guess I'll order some new ones, they did feel a bit hardened!

I ordered two sets of them...for the two '04s.

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST1300
Didn't remove the boots, just the throttle bodies. Right or wrong, everybody seems to be popping them in and out without changing the boots. Tighten those suckers. The procedure in the manual is good only for new boots.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The service manual does not warn against reuse nor label the parts as one-use. I suppose you could replace them if you wanted too but as they remained intact and supple I reused them.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Never time to do it right...but always time to do it over....it's all about choices...short cuts or correct and thorough. .02

Bike
'07 ST1300
Can't argue with new boots. Can't argue with reusing boots in good shape. Both ways are correct and thorough.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Can't argue with new boots. Can't argue with reusing boots in good shape. Both ways are correct and thorough.
Yeah, but 10 year old boots are ready to be replaced. I just hope that I won't have to do it again in the next ten! ;)

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Think of it this way....if the shop was doing the work, and you were paying them your hard earned dollars for it.....would you want them to replace the used parts with new ones or simply re-use the old parts again? ;)

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Think of it this way....if the shop was doing the work, and you were paying them your hard earned dollars for it.....would you want them to replace the used parts with new ones or simply re-use the old parts again? ;)
But that's why I do my own work, so I can afford to replace parts when I feel the need to and not just because its the shops policy. ;)

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I'd want them to do what the service manual calls for, which in the case of the boots is oil on the inside to make inserting the throttle body assembly easier. If they handed me a bill for $50 for a set of new ones, I'd ask them to show me where the service procedure called for their replacement or to show me the parts that were damaged enough to need it.

Leaving the old boots in place means that only four joints -- the easy ones to troubleshoot -- get disconnected instead of all eight. That cuts the potential for a mistake during re-installation in half.

--Mark

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know my shop tech....... and trust myself to make the correct judgement or ask someone when I don't feel confident in doing so. Besides knowing my bike inside and out the total absence of time pressure is important to me....... I've got the time and inclination to do it right without having to get the job done on someone's else's time and give someone's bike back to them by the end of the day.

No reputable shop is going to use new parts on every repair or maintenance item if they aren't needed and to suggest otherwise is hard to fanthom unless it's just to bust my chops :)

Top Bottom