Do you wear gauntlets inside the sleeve or outside in rain?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Today I found myself in my first real toad choker - the rain was coming down so hard it was bouncing off the pavement for my whole 45 minute drive home from a mc breakfast. On the two lane state route visibility was so bad I just followed the car's taillights and kept back as far as I could and still see them. When I got to the interstate, the higher speed blew a lot of the rain off my visor (a mixed blessing - it also found all the weak points in my jacket and pants) and I could see better. Frogg Toggs here I come....

My Firstgear gloves, advertised as 100% waterproof, are indeed waterproof. The rain dripped down my sleeve and the gauntlet funneled the water into the gloves. None leaked out. All my fingers were wet in short order.

How do you wear your gauntlets when it is raining? Inside the sleeve or outside? I had thought wind would drive the rain up the sleeve if it overlapped the glove - and never thought about water dripping down the sleeve into the gauntlet.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I wear mine outside, but I might have a little longer arms then you. It's an uphill run from my elbow to my glove.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Inside in rain.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
Great question and one that I've pondered myself because while we don't get much rain here in Hell, AZ I know one day I'll have to face it. After 6 years of riding there have only been 2 instances where I've actuall ridden in moisture and that was primarily spits and spats, which didn't last very long. While I normally wear my gauntlets outside the jacket sleeves, my thought process was that come the time when I don my rain gear over my riding jacket, I'd keep the sleeves of the rain jacket outside in order to take advantage of the additional waterproofing and prevent rain from running down into the gloves.

In 3 years I plan on retiring and we'll be moving up to the NW, so obvoiusly this will a major concern. When it's not raining in that part of the world it means it's getting ready to.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Definitely inside for the exact reason you mentioned. Otherwise the water will work its way down the sleeve and soak the inside of the gloves. Sometimes we look quite hilarious trying to help each other crank the sleeves over the gloves.

Greg

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
+1.....I sometimes have to put my gloves on first and then slip the jacket on......then the zipper's harder to manipulate.....but less frustrating than trying to jam the gaunlets up under the sleeves........BTW, I have some industrial rubber gloves (like super duty housecleaning gloves) that I put over my regular riding gloves....it 's the rubbery stuff that's hard to get to slide under the sleeve..........at least you don't have to wash it if it's raining that hard....have fun.........ff

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Outside. I wear aerostich triple digits and pull the cinch strings tight so that they cause a crease in the underlying jacket--no leaks so far

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
How do you wear your gauntlets when it is raining? Inside the sleeve or outside?
Definitely inside...
In this are design, cut and closures of the jacket-sleeves crucial selection/buying elements for me.
After like 10 years of use I (finally) had to replace my prev Dainese GoreTex jacket and came up with a Dainese again (Rukka and Staedler just didn't cut it), the Stradon GTX, which features wrist-gaiters and the adjustable cuffs required to wear and properly seal the glove-gauntlets inside... already tested it in some heavy downpours and cold winds, perfectly dry and sealed.

There is a lot of jadda-jadda, but they show the features/design of the jacket sleeves there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TBmontdu48

Expandable zipper and 3 clips for adjusting the cuffs.

Another issue is to find (Gore) gloves that actually offer 3~4" gauntlets, but aren't too thick/wide to be properly worn inside the jacket sleeves.
Due to the various temps/climates I have 3 different pairs of those gloves aboard: slight summer-drizzle, continuous warm rain and the really thick winter-style for cold temps and/or days and days of downpours...
And then two pairs of light-lined, leather summer gloves, one without and one with gauntlets...

Last edited:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
My Firstgear gloves, advertised as 100% waterproof, are indeed waterproof. The rain dripped down my sleeve and the gauntlet funneled the water into the gloves. None leaked out. All my fingers were wet in short order.
Exact reason to have them INSIDE the sleeve. Same gloves, same result the first time I used them in a hard rain. Nice and dry in May in an all morning rain with the sleeve OUTSIDE of the gauntlet. Just what Greg said on getting the sleeve over the glove. I put the gloves on first and then my jacket. Flyfisher had it correct, a little troublesome to operate the zippers, but doable.

You had water in the glove with the glove over the jacket. Switch it around the next rain and make up your mind which was better.

After all, it seems none of us can agree on the "RIGHT" way.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It seems proper or natural to slip the glove over the sleeve but the only way I seem to keep glove linings dry in extended and/or heavy rain is tucked inside the jacket cuff.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Exact reason to have them INSIDE the sleeve. Same gloves, same result the first time I used them in a hard rain. Nice and dry in May in an all morning rain with the sleeve OUTSIDE of the gauntlet. Just what Greg said on getting the sleeve over the glove. I put the gloves on first and then my jacket. Flyfisher had it correct, a little troublesome to operate the zippers, but doable.

You had water in the glove with the glove over the jacket. Switch it around the next rain and make up your mind which was better.

After all, it seems none of us can agree on the "RIGHT" way.

Kevin,
You sure got that right! Obviously either the 'outies' are riding with wet hands or both ways work depending on your gloves, jacket, arm length and maybe other factors. I now know what doesn't work for me, so the only thing left to try is the other way. I thought that the gauntlet outside kept the wind blown rain from finding its way UP the sleeve, never realizing the same wind blew the water around to the back of my arm and from there it ran down -gravity- into the now funnel acting gauntlet.

But, since my crotch got wet, my chest had a wet patch, the helmet was dripping onto the back of my neck, and I think I was minutes away from wet upper arms, Frogg Toggs will soon be in my side cases full time (well, except when its raining).

And between gauntlets inside my armored riding gear and F-T over everything, I should be dry next time.

Thank you all....

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Sleeves funnel water into you glove if worn on the outside. It is a major PITA but you need to get your sleeve over you glove. Sounds wrong but it works. Next time do one each way if if you are skeptical. One will stay dry.

Bike
ST1300
I have Alpinestars gloves, where the goretex liner has its own gauntlet. So that goes inside the sleeve, main gauntlet outside, good solution but a bit fiddly.

Bike
2005 Concours
Not that I've had alot of experience in riding in the rain. However, coming back from OzarkSTOC last year I was in a major downpour for a long time. I had my summer gautlets stuffed inside rubber gloves, and then had the Frogg Toggs OVER the gloves. Never got wet. I also wore the hood of jacket and had it under helmet.....no water down back of neck. It's all kind of a PITA, but it kept me dry and warm. That's my .02.

Top Bottom