Another Victim of the Stat issue

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Rare to see one fail closed....thanks for posting the results............ride safe, ride well..............ff

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I just replaced the thermostat in my new to me 2005. When I get a new bike, I always replace all the fluids and do all required maintenance (also needed the rear rotor). With this bike, I decided to replace the thermostat, largely because the previous owner posted that it was getting mpg in the 30s. I knew it should do better than that since I get high 40s to mid 50s on my 1100. I did the hot water test on the old one, and sure enough it's stuck open. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of mpg I'll get now that everything is back in order.

Last edited:

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I just replaced the thermostat in my new to me 2005. When I get a new bike, I always replace all the fluids and do all required maintenance (also needed the rear rotor). With this bike, I decided to replace the thermostat, largely because the previous owner posted that it was getting mpg in the 30s. I did the hot water test on the old one, and sure enough it's stuck open. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of mpg I'll get now that everything is back in order.
I'm not sure I understand why you even had to do a hot water test on the thermostat since it should have been stuck open when you removed it from the bike. If it only opens up after you stick it in hot water, well then its working like it should...

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I'm not sure I understand why you even had to do a hot water test on the thermostat since it should have been stuck open when you removed it from the bike. If it only opens up after you stick it in hot water, well then its working like it should...
I did the test for my own peace of mind - I wanted to see if I wasted my money or not. I'm sure it was stuck open when I removed it, but wasn't sure what I was looking for. The test confirmed that it was staying open once it cooled off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom