Article [13] ST1300 - Side Pannier Disassembly / Painting

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Re: Writeup on taking apart the entire side pannier and painting the faded plastic

My plastic is a little faded too and I wanted to correct that. With your information I think that I will give it a try. Thanks for posting this.

If your plastic is faded 9 times out of ten it can be bought back to life with the use of a heat gun. I brought my 95 ST1100 plastics back to new condition with the use of a heat gun.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I've also had good luck reviving the black and the old gray plastic panels on the ST11 by applying boiled linseed oil.

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Hi Steve, Could you please post more details on how to do this with the heat gun?Thank you, Sir.
Rick.
I ran across a video on YouTube where a gentleman from the UK used a true heat gun, not hairdryer to restore the plastics on his ST1100. He placed the heat gun oh high and slowly waved it across the very faded plastic and it brought the plastic back to an as new color. I did the same on my ST1100 and it actually worked! Hold the heat gun about 5" from the plastic and watch sun fading disappear. unfortunately, this will not work on the grab handles of the side cases. Sorry that I was unable to locate the YouTube video but I hope this helps.

Southeastern corner of Arizona, planet earth!
Bike
05 ST 1300 hack'd
I ran across a video on YouTube where a gentleman from the UK used a true heat gun, not hairdryer to restore the plastics on his ST1100. He placed the heat gun oh high and slowly waved it across the very faded plastic and it brought the plastic back to an as new color. I did the same on my ST1100 and it actually worked! Hold the heat gun about 5" from the plastic and watch sun fading disappear. unfortunately, this will not work on the grab handles of the side cases. Sorry that I was unable to locate the YouTube video but I hope this helps.
Thank you ,Steve. That gives me a good idea of the process. I have done similar to restore the finish on ATV plastics, when they get bent, and turn a whitish color, gently heat like you stated,and it restores the shiny color as before. You gotta be careful not to get it too hot,and distort the plastic.
Thanks for the reply,Sir.
Rick

Top Bottom