ST1300 Street fighter project

Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
Hi all,
Since my introduction a couple of months ago I have now completed my street fighter project bike and is now fully road legal and was asked to post details, so here goes - but thanks to Mandrake and his thread which I found useful and informative.

A summary of the parts left stock, modified or from other bikes.

Stock ST1300 Parts
Engine, transmission, air filter, ECU and exhaust header
Frame, swing arm and rear wheel
Rear brakes - but no longer linked to front brake
Fuel Tank - main tank only
Foot rest positions
Handle bar switches
Steering stem and bearings
Battery
Stock factory fitted immobiliser system
Modified ST1300 parts
Foot rest plates (rear part of foot rest plate removed/shortened)
Wiring loom shortened at rear (18" removed), ABS wiring removed, screen system removed, front of loom simplified/shortened
Items deleted from ST1300
All fairings parts (plastics, screen and mounting brackets)
Seat and surrounding plastic
Panniers
ABS and linked brakes
Front suspension, stock handlebars and front wheel
Stock instruments
Secondary fuel tank
Steering lock
Parts from other bikes ? NOT modified
Stock GSXR 600 K7 front suspension, brakes, lower yoke and front wheel
Ducati 1098 seat unit
Ducati 1098 rear light assembly
Harley Davidson V-Rod headlight and mounting bracket.
Yamaha R1 number plate bracket, rear indicators and number plate light.
CBR600RR (03-06) aluminium radiator and cooling fan
ST1100 clutch and front brake master cylinders
Universal or custom parts
Yamaha carbon fiber rear wheel hugger (mud guard), with custom bracket to attach to ST1300 swing arm.
Hebo enduro handlebars, with Motopike handlebar clamps
HEL Stainless steel braided front and rear brake lines
Automotive fuel pump with RX8 fuel pump resistor (to reduce fuel output capacity)
SuperTrapp exhaust silencer (344-2005 and 3S resonator)
Acewell - 2856AB digital speedo
Data Tool heated handlebar grips
Universal, front bar mount mirrors with integrated indicators
Universal hand-guards with daytime running lights
Modified parts from other bikes
Modified GSXR 600 K7 upper yoke, to add handle bar clamps and reduce steering stem hole diameter to suit ST1300 steering stem and bearings. Lower yoke has ST1300 steering stem in place of GSXR 600.
Ducati 1098 seat sub-frame; attachment points modified to allow attachment to ST1300 frame and additional brackets added to mount ECU, fuses, relays, fuel pump and battery. Adapter plate added to allow mounting of Yamaha R1 rear number plate assembly.
Car parts
Fuel pump, with fuel pump resister (Mazda RX8) to reduce capacity to allow fuel regulator to cope with flow.

Steering geometry changes with new front end
Rake original 26 degrees, this will have reduced, with the lower front end (dropped by approx 1"), however trail has increased with the parallel fork offset to 107 to 112mm (25 to 26 degree rake).

Fuel system changes
Secondary fuel tank deleted
External fuel pump and external HP filter
Long hose from fuel tank to fuel pump with pressure control valve return line tee'ed in, long loop gives a small surge volume (120 cc)

Attachments

Reactions: Djc
Parts from other bikes – NOT modified
Ducati 1098 seat unit
Awesome job ! No shot of the cockpit? And how about a video so we can hear it running?

One thing - that seat's rake seems fairly extreme, almost uncomfortable.
How does it compare, say, sitting next to an R1 or 'Busa?

OP
OP
johnmo
Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
Hi
Seat angle is a bit high and a project for next winter to sort out; but is quite comfortable as it is, it looks worse than it feels when seated. Will see how it is on a longer ride. Need to take a couple more photo's, possibly a video and will post them latter - away with work this week.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Holy cow... those aren't the words I really want to use but the only ones that come to mind that wouldn't cause my post to be deleted.

I think that turned out awesome. I have a Honda 919 so I like the streat fighter look without all the plastic and covers. Just a big motor hang-N off the frame, love it.
I'm sure it's a blast to get on and twist that throttle.
how much do you think it's weighing? That motor on what looks to be a 400lbs ride... awesome. I'm sure its a bit more than that but prob no too much more.
Great job!

OP
OP
johnmo
Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
Thanks

Weight - Mandrake weighed his and it was around 500 lb, would suspect it is not far off that, but with all the weight low down it feels lighter to move about than my BMW 650 XMoto.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Very Cool. I see that a lot of bike builders use the GSXR inverted front ends. Is this because they look cool or is there a sustainable difference in performance over other front suspensions or is it availability of parts, etc.?

Just last Thursday I saw and early GL1000 with a similar GSXR front end.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Now that looks like a fun machine to get out and have a ton of fun tearing up some roads. Enjoy it!

OP
OP
johnmo
Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
Grabcon
Use of GSXR forks - I had no forks to begin with and the cost was actually lower for the GSXR forks than using ST1300. GSXR 600 K6/7 forks are longer than many others that are readily available, so there is minimum change in ride hieght. They are also quite adjustable and the spring rate is right in stock form, using stock front spring pre-load I have the right amount of sag.

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
A better looking job than Honda did with the CTX1300, in my humble opinion.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Johnmo thanks for the brief on the GSXR forks.

A better looking job than Honda did with the CTX1300, in my humble opinion
This should follow suite with the new Honda line, Cruiser/bagger (CTX line), the naked look (CB500R), the adventure cross tour (the NC700x and CB500x), all that is needed now is the sport model.

So will someone that on the last two for Honda :)

Stock rear spring?

How does the front end feel? How's the steering- heavy, light, touchy, sluggish, ect?

How's the brake lever feel?

How long are your passenger's legs?

Kinda cool to see someone else following the trail I blazed. :)

OP
OP
johnmo
Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
Stock rear spring?

How does the front end feel? How's the steering- heavy, light, touchy, sluggish, ect?

How's the brake lever feel?

How long are your passenger's legs?

Kinda cool to see someone else following the trail I blazed. :)
Hi
Front feels stable, not that heavy even with the steering damper - not been far on it as I have a front master cylinder issue, prior to that the front brakes felt ok (using and ST1100 master cylinder which is 14mm).

Still has the stock rear spring - which needs to be replaced with one with a lower spring rate, getting about an inch sag with me on the bike.

John

OP
OP
johnmo
Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
Hi Fred
Couple of reasons for using an ST1100 master cylinder. Had to buy a master cylinder, as I had no brake components from the ST1300 at the start of the project, so this gave me a choice of master cylinder. Not keen on grabby brakes, ST1100 master cylinder is larger than the ST1300, 12.7mm compared to 14mm, so felt the ST1100 would gives me the correct balance I was looking for, using GSXR front callipers. Other people had used this size of cylinder, with the same brakes, with good results.

I could have used the stock GSXR master cylinder, but as there is a worldwide recall by Suzuki, did feel comfortable getting a post recall item.

OP
OP
johnmo
Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
My new shock and spring have arrived - made by M-Shock. The shock is black anodized aluminium, and was custom built for my bike. Spring and valving to suit me and the bikes weight. The shock was set up on a dyno and came fully set-up for pre-load and damping. So the base setting should be there or there about.

Had no need for remote pre-load adjustment so this was not specified.

Will install at the weekend.

Great service from M-Shock - ordered last Thursday afternoon and delivered Tuesday (3 working days), quality looks great.

Attachments

OP
OP
johnmo
Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
Being doing some mods - seat angle fixed, number plate mount changed, new shock and spring fitted. Now completed a couple hundred miles with no issues

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom