ST1300 Street fighter project

OP
OP
johnmo
Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
Jeff
Bought as parts only (I didn't chop up an original bike) - mostly parts of Ebay - and loads of hours, paid about the same as stock bike (a little more) to get the completed and on the road - so quite happy.

Out of interest I sat a 10 year old on the rear seat and the footpegs were ok for her to use, so no issues there.

Last edited:

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Wow, that's awesome. Looks like all your hours of work turned out really nice.

Those in the know use Tapatalk Pro.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Jeff
Bought as parts only - mostly of Ebay - cost around ?7k and loads of hours, for the complete bike on the road - so not cheap
Not cheap John but not expensive either - especially for what you ended up with.

Real pretty to look at & I bet lotsa fun to ride. I can imagine that would be a very satisfying project to work on & complete - and that's priceless. I think you're way ahead

Good one!

OP
OP
johnmo
Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
Now done about a thousand miles, no real issues, very easy to ride, handling seems very good to me, taken it quite easy so far, but turn in is very predictable and mid corner nice and stable. No excessive heat from the engine, even when riding in 26 degree C heat.

So far really happy with the bike, although I managed to run out of fuel on Friday, after about 180 miles (no secondary tank).

What's the spring rate in the back, and how much do you weigh? I'm curious where you're at compared to me- 15.2 kg spring and 170 lbs before the gear.

OP
OP
johnmo
Bike
ST1300 StreetFighter
Sorry for the late reply, been away doing another project. I weigh about 200 lb, I think the spring was 14.5 kg, if it is different than that I will let you know. The compression front and back is the same when I bounce on the seat.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Very Cool. I see that a lot of bike builders use the GSXR inverted front ends. Is this because they look cool or is there a sustainable difference in performance over other front suspensions or is it availability of parts, etc.? Just last Thursday I saw and early GL1000 with a similar GSXR front end.
Inverted forks are a lot stiffer than conventional forks, since you have the heavier cast/billet sliders attached at the triple tree, and anly a short length of fork tube exposed at the lower end, where the applied bending moment is much smaller than at the lower tripple tree cllamp location. Also the un-sprung weight is quite a bit lower, so there is less moving mass (inertial resistance) the suspension has to deal with.

Top Bottom