Bridgestone T30 GT's - How do you like them?

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Just ordered a set of T30 EVO GT, $238, shipped from Jake Wilson!:)
Will be able to save my front take off for emergency use if anyone needs one to get home on in a pinch.

Bike
R1200rt
Bike
2004 ST1300 (Blue)
STOC #
Anyone know how this tire compares to the PR4 GTs? The fellas over on the 1100/1300 FB page are ALL raving about the Michelin PR 4 GT. Is it as good as they say?

Anyone know how this tire compares to the PR4 GTs? The fellas over on the 1100/1300 FB page are ALL raving about the Michelin PR 4 GT. Is it as good as they say?
Boy do I. The PR4GT is a solid tire that has comparable grip to the T-30 GT and T-30 EVO GT. The original T-30 GT has a very direct steering feel and turns/steers quickly but has excellent stability at the same time. The Michelin PR4GT has a less direct steering feel and turns in and steers somewhat slower than the T-30 GT. The new T-30 EVO GT slides right in the middle of the other 2. Bridgestone claims the EVO series has an improved contact patch and rubber compound that improves overall handling/steering and significantly improves the tires wet weather performance (more later). My favorite all-out sport/performance tire would be the original T-30GT with the EVO 2nd and the Michelin 3rd but they are all so close there is no real speed advantage to either one. The original T-30s are just more "playful". All 3 are great handling tires that allow you light the underside of the ST on fire if you want (I have had to put water on my smoldering lower right-side fairing a couple of times).

The PR4GT, and PR3 series before it, has long been the gold standard for wet traction, a claim which I have proven over many many miles on other bikes I have owned with PR4s. I finally rain tested the EVOs on my ST1300 a couple of weeks ago and they have a very similar glued-down feel on wet pavement but one ride does not a test make. I read one independent test that claimed the new EVO is the match for the PR4GT in wet grip so maybe Bridgestone has closed the gap with Michelin.

Lastly there is wear. When ridden on my test track, The Appalachian Mountains, I get around 15% of the miles you can expect out of a set of tires. The all-time rear tire "mountain" mileage king has been the PR4GT which lasted 2,038 miles. The best mountain tested T-30 GT was 1540 miles and my first T-30 EVO GT did a combined Highway/Mountain "test" of 3017 miles but it had 200 miles left in it when I threw on some Pirelli Angel GTs for some spring testing. The mountain test portion on the EVOs was right at 1,500 miles so the new T-30 EVO GT seems to wear better than the old T-30 GTs.

I given you rear tire only performance because I believe the front tires from both brands wear out at nearly the same rate. With my upgraded front suspension on the ST I can get almost 5K out of a T-30 GT in the mountains and it looks like the EVO gets about 25% better yet. The PR4GT fronts can go slightly longer but I find that they lose their feel and steering feel as they near end of life. The Bridgestone T-30 GT and T-30 EVO GT are the gold standard as far as front tires go on the ST....to me. Unmatched precision and stability with outstanding light-to-the-touch turn-in. The EVO has lost a little of the directness but the better wear redeems it in my book.

T-30 EVO GT is my current first choice but you can't go wrong with any of them. The Bridgestones are significantly less expensive but under most riders the Michelins may give a few more miles so if you don't change your own tires the more expensive PR4GTs may still be close in cost per mile when you add shop expense. I have my own tire changing equipment that has paid for itself more than twice in the last 4 years.

For the record I have gone through 10 rear tires on the ST (some darkside/Night Dragon testing) in the last year so I feel my information is reasonable accurate. I have no ties to any manufacturer and compare notes with all my friends that ride at my pace, which in the case of the ST is really just one guy and his notes are terrible. But he is fast as hell so I just fact check his data when he's around. Sorry BR but I do respect the fact you have a life that doesn't revolve around motorcycle tires. :D

The one thing I can add to the Bridgestone (and Dunlop or whatever brand)/Michelin debate is I have had several of my friends tell me they prefer Michelins to Bridgestones because they feel they grip better. I have noticed that, to a rider, these guys always ride a little faster on the Bridgestones (or Dunlop sport tires) than they do on the Michelins. I have always thought the easier turn-in and lighter overall feel of the late model Bridgestones allow most riders to go faster with less effort and the slightly higher speeds means more moments where the front pushes and gives the feeling of lower traction. My opinion, I could be wrong.

There, aren't you glad you asked Ike?

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300 (Blue)
STOC #
kebrider....

Definitely glad I asked. Great write-up! This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Greatly appreciated! I'm more of a "touring" type of rider and usually ride 2 up....but I can read between the lines. Thanks again!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Boy do I. The PR4GT is a solid tire that has comparable grip to the T-30 GT and T-30 EVO GT. The original T-30 GT has a very direct steering feel and turns/steers quickly but has excellent stability at the same time. The Michelin PR4GT has a less direct steering feel and turns in and steers somewhat slower than the T-30 GT. The new T-30 EVO GT slides right in the middle of the other 2. Bridgestone claims the EVO series has an improved contact patch and rubber compound that improves overall handling/steering and significantly improves the tires wet weather performance (more later). My favorite all-out sport/performance tire would be the original T-30GT with the EVO 2nd and the Michelin 3rd but they are all so close there is no real speed advantage to either one. The original T-30s are just more "playful". All 3 are great handling tires that allow you light the underside of the ST on fire if you want (I have had to put water on my smoldering lower right-side fairing a couple of times).

The PR4GT, and PR3 series before it, has long been the gold standard for wet traction, a claim which I have proven over many many miles on other bikes I have owned with PR4s. I finally rain tested the EVOs on my ST1300 a couple of weeks ago and they have a very similar glued-down feel on wet pavement but one ride does not a test make. I read one independent test that claimed the new EVO is the match for the PR4GT in wet grip so maybe Bridgestone has closed the gap with Michelin.

Lastly there is wear. When ridden on my test track, The Appalachian Mountains, I get around 15% of the miles you can expect out of a set of tires. The all-time rear tire "mountain" mileage king has been the PR4GT which lasted 2,038 miles. The best mountain tested T-30 GT was 1540 miles and my first T-30 EVO GT did a combined Highway/Mountain "test" of 3017 miles but it had 200 miles left in it when I threw on some Pirelli Angel GTs for some spring testing. The mountain test portion on the EVOs was right at 1,500 miles so the new T-30 EVO GT seems to wear better than the old T-30 GTs.

I given you rear tire only performance because I believe the front tires from both brands wear out at nearly the same rate. With my upgraded front suspension on the ST I can get almost 5K out of a T-30 GT in the mountains and it looks like the EVO gets about 25% better yet. The PR4GT fronts can go slightly longer but I find that they lose their feel and steering feel as they near end of life. The Bridgestone T-30 GT and T-30 EVO GT are the gold standard as far as front tires go on the ST....to me. Unmatched precision and stability with outstanding light-to-the-touch turn-in. The EVO has lost a little of the directness but the better wear redeems it in my book.

T-30 EVO GT is my current first choice but you can't go wrong with any of them. The Bridgestones are significantly less expensive but under most riders the Michelins may give a few more miles so if you don't change your own tires the more expensive PR4GTs may still be close in cost per mile when you add shop expense. I have my own tire changing equipment that has paid for itself more than twice in the last 4 years.

For the record I have gone through 10 rear tires on the ST (some darkside/Night Dragon testing) in the last year so I feel my information is reasonable accurate. I have no ties to any manufacturer and compare notes with all my friends that ride at my pace, which in the case of the ST is really just one guy and his notes are terrible. But he is fast as hell so I just fact check his data when he's around. Sorry BR but I do respect the fact you have a life that doesn't revolve around motorcycle tires. :D

The one thing I can add to the Bridgestone (and Dunlop or whatever brand)/Michelin debate is I have had several of my friends tell me they prefer Michelins to Bridgestones because they feel they grip better. I have noticed that, to a rider, these guys always ride a little faster on the Bridgestones (or Dunlop sport tires) than they do on the Michelins. I have always thought the easier turn-in and lighter overall feel of the late model Bridgestones allow most riders to go faster with less effort and the slightly higher speeds means more moments where the front pushes and gives the feeling of lower traction. My opinion, I could be wrong.

There, aren't you glad you asked Ike?
keb, have you noticed any difference between the brands in regards to cold outside temps. I ride year round rain or shine so I am currently running PR4s but the lower cost of the t-30s is really appealing. I was told by a Honda mechanic that for my riding the pr4s would handle the cold and wet better. I have noticed that after the bike has set at work for 9hrs the front feels flat for the first few minutes. I don't remember this with the original battleaxes. Thanks for the great write up.
I am looking at adding tire changes to my skill set as well since that will pay for itself relatively quickly.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Just ordered a set of EVOs the other day. Looking forward to trying them out.

I enjoyed reading your review in post 157 kebrider. Does Bridgestone have any sales positions open? I'd think you'd fit right in... ;)

keb, have you noticed any difference between the brands in regards to cold outside temps. I ride year round rain or shine so I am currently running PR4s but the lower cost of the t-30s is really appealing. I was told by a Honda mechanic that for my riding the pr4s would handle the cold and wet better. I have noticed that after the bike has set at work for 9hrs the front feels flat for the first few minutes. I don't remember this with the original battleaxes. Thanks for the great write up.
I am looking at adding tire changes to my skill set as well since that will pay for itself relatively quickly.
I did a lot of cold weather riding the last month with several rides starting out in low 40's and the new EVOs are a real improvement over past BS products. If you do the feel test the new rubber compound has that hard but spongy feel that a lot of the high silica compounds have these days. The tires felt round immediately but as always I was cautious in the first couple of miles. They warm up very quickly as I checked them when I stopped for gas after a few miles but then getting a tire warm on an ST1300 is not much of a challenge.

kebrider,,
Interested in your comments but I am up for a rear change as I keep scrubbing out the sides of the tyres long before there is signifigant wear in the centre. A lot of my riding is of mountain type and it is very difficult not to use the low torque capabilities of the ST1300 coming out of every turn. At the moment running PR4 F&R and while not unhappy with their overall performance, I have seen the new Bridgies. You make no comment about side wear and as you do a lot of twisty stuff more aggressively (it appears) than I do, I would be interested in your comments. BTW I am in Queensland , OZ where riding ambeient temps can be over 32 degrees C ,90 degress F, for our long hot summers. This weather also influences tyre performance.
Thanks in advance, Trevor

kebrider,,
Interested in your comments but I am up for a rear change as I keep scrubbing out the sides of the tyres long before there is signifigant wear in the centre. A lot of my riding is of mountain type and it is very difficult not to use the low torque capabilities of the ST1300 coming out of every turn. At the moment running PR4 F&R and while not unhappy with their overall performance, I have seen the new Bridgies. You make no comment about side wear and as you do a lot of twisty stuff more aggressively (it appears) than I do, I would be interested in your comments. BTW I am in Queensland , OZ where riding ambeient temps can be over 32 degrees C ,90 degress F, for our long hot summers. This weather also influences tyre performance.
Thanks in advance, Trevor
First off Trevor I seem to get better wear from the Bridgestones in the warmer months vs colder riding but the Michelin stuff seems to be the opposite. Not a big difference either way. The PR4s are probably the best bet for wear unless the Metzler 01 lives up to the hype. We shall see.

This is a typical mountain tire on one of my bikes.
Mountain Tire.jpg

Angel GT Action Shot.
ST1300 4-3-16.JPG

Bike
'05 ST1300
Just finishing up another set of T30's.

They're basically toast, front and back, at about 7000 km's or 4200 miles.

Most of the wear came from an aggressive tour of the Appalachians this spring :).

As per my previous posts, I like the T30's, but I still prefer the bias setup for overall feel. The T30's were not awe inspiring in the wet at all, nor happy on tar strips. I much preferred the feedback from the G547 and BT020 bias plys.

I'm trying out a set of Z6's next and will provide my 2C after a trip to the Maritimes and Maine.

John

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have gone through a few sets of the T30 GT's on my ST1300. Two fronts and three rears. Front Mileage 8305 & 8698, they were to the wear bars and that is it. The rears 6114, 6587 & 5030, again these were at the wear bars. Something I did notice on the rears, once they reach a certain point, like just touching the wear bars, they go very fast and have little of no life left.

As an example went for a 50 mile non eventful ride yesterday and had not reached the bars before the ride. got home and I was way past the wear bars.

I put on a set of T30 EVO GT's. Let's see if things are better with these.

Bike
1999 ST1100
I recently put a set of Battle Axe T30's on my 2002 ex cop ST1100 in Melbourne, Australia....Prior, I had a set of Metzler tyres that felt terrible travelling down from Brisbane, "road snakes" had the bike shimmy and shake alarmingly bloody hated them. Got a great deal from a motorcycle tyre shop in Melbourne and the difference was dramatic! A more softer, but solid ride, firmer in the wet, less noise and felt more comfortable and secure straight up!
i rode that bike right across Australia to Perth along the Nullbore Highway, all up 8500 kilometres and not once did I have that alarming shaking of the bike with anything I rolled over on the road....Good?...You bet! Got another ST1100 since arriving back in the UK......Yep! I am about to throw another set of Bridgestone Battle Axe T30 tyres on my new ride...I'm sold!

Bike
VStrom 650
Buddha,
Just for interest are your tyres evo's.
According to Bridgestone the only tyres recommended for the 1100 is either the evo or 023. Not GT.
I am running 023's not GT's and am impressed but wear is an issue. Within 5000 miles the centre's are gone or the sides resemble racing wets dependant on use.
I am thinking of switching to evo's next if wear is improved.
Thanks,
Upt'North.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
I just put on a set of T30 tires and I am happy with them. They were installed by a Honda shop and I noticed the bike seemed a lot more "flickable" on the new tires; much easier to roll through the twisties going up to the Blueridge Parkway and on the Parkway. I checked the tire pressure and found I had 50-psi rather than the recommended 42-psi. I don't know how the extra pressure will affect the life of the tires but I am sticking with these tires and the 50-psi setting.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
I don't know how the extra pressure will affect the life of the tires but I am sticking with these tires and the 50-psi setting.
Went on trip to CA a few years ago. I have TPMS on my bike, so I know the internal temperature and the pressures of the tires constantly. Started off at 42 when I left Oregon and when the outside temperature reached 102F, the tire pressure was 53 psi. I loved the ride also when the rear tire was at that pressure. On the sticker that Bridgestone puts on the tires that I have bought for the ST, they say to never exceed 57 psi.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
image.jpgI just took off the rear Bridgestone T30. I got 7348 miles out of it. I ride fairly hard with the front tire sometimes not on the ground. I got almost all the goodie out of the tire. Really liked the tire. No complaints. Very dependable confident feel. Lots of intown riding. It had 3 road trips on it. One round trip 1300 miles all slab. One round trip 600 miles camping load fairly light. Last round trip of about 800 miles load heavy. When we arrived people were amazed at the load. Serious overload I am sure. Trying a Mitchlin PR4 this time. I know there are still chcken strips sorry I don't lean it hard enough to get all the goodie out of a tire. LOL

st1300doug

Last rear-8,250 miles. Good enough for me. I'll stay with these. Working on the T30-GT EVO now.....

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I just replaced my first rear T30 GT. I just hit a few of the wear bars at 4184 miles but replaced it because I have a trip coming up. I liked the handling. It had some cupping as do all my tires but not excessive. Put on a set of T30 GT EVO's, they look so nice, can't wait to scuff them in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom