Bridgestone T30 GT's - How do you like them?

Bike
09 ST1300
I was considering making a switch from Michelin pr3's to Bridgstone BT023 GT's, but now I am seeing that the 023 GT are pretty much discontinued. I understand the replacement for them is the T30 GT. Anybody have some real world feedback on how they like them and are they a suitable tire for 99% 2up riding? They seem to be a fair bit less expensive than the Michelins. I'm happy with the mileage I'm getting out of PR3's but am finding them quite noisy about half way through their life, and that is my main reason for considering a switch. Waddya think?

Bike
2006 ST
I don't know about being discontinued , but I have Bridgestones on all bikes except the KLR, have the 023's on the ST, VFR and RT now with two more set hanging in shop.
I love the feel, great in the rain, quiet, and get a pair for about $250 delivered. Between the BT021's and 023's have probably used up 13/14 sets.
When I bought the ST, the PO had pilot 3's on about 70 percent gone, man, that front certainly liked to sing to me.
Hope this helps.
YMMV

Bike
2010 ST 1300
STOC #
I just put on a set of T30s and am really impressed so far. My PR3s finally gave out with 16K on the front and 10K on the rear. I wanted to go with the PR4s but they were not available in mid May when I had an upcoming ride so I tried the T30s on the recommendation of a friend with a 2012 Concourse. I have about 800 miles so far on the front and less than 100 on rear. The mould marks are still on the front! My buddy with a NoMar changer mounted them for me and man...they have some stiff sidewalls! MUCH more than the PR3! It has a firm ride. I feel little sticks and small gravel much more than Michelins. Long ride coming up and think I am going to like them. They stick well on corners and have a very positive feel of the road. Another thing I liked was the price! Rear was $115 compared to $170! Deep tread and I do not feel drainage lines in the road or metal grating on bridges. Pretty happy so far!

Bike
2010 ST 1300
STOC #
Oh...I forgot to also mention that my old PR3s got really noisy about 3K before replacement. Especially the front, and it felt very "heavy" in slow-speed turns. At first I thought I was losing the steering head bearings! Seriously, it was hard to turn the bars! Pressures were 40psi so that was not the issue. It handled very sluggish and slow. The new T30 was an immediate reversal of that! In fact...I had to be careful for the first few rides until I got used to the light and quick motion again. I loved the PR3s but am very satisfied with the T30s. They would be great for 2-up riding as well.

OP
OP
gsforster
Bike
09 ST1300
Oh...I forgot to also mention that my old PR3s got really noisy about 3K before replacement. Especially the front, and it felt very "heavy" in slow-speed turns. At first I thought I was losing the steering head bearings! Seriously, it was hard to turn the bars!
That's exactly what I am experiencing right now with the PR3's.

Another thing I liked was the price! Rear was $115 compared to $170!
Yes I would agree I just recieved my T30 GT's and they are like more than 100 bucks a set cheaper than the Michelins.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Just replaced my rear T23GT, with a T30GT (keeping the front T23GT). Love it so far, no issues with mixing the 2 tires.
I've been very impressed with these tires, they hold the road like glue and really make for confident riding.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just ordered a set of T30GTs for one of my ST1100s from Jake Wilson. I shot a set of PR3s in less than 5,000 miles (scalloped and not good to ride on any more). It will be interesting to see how these tires work.

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Same with me one up and two up. Did 170 km yesterday two up and they were fine. I have front 023 as well

Just replaced my rear T23GT, with a T30GT (keeping the front T23GT). Love it so far, no issues with mixing the 2 tires.
I've been very impressed with these tires, they hold the road like glue and really make for confident riding.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Oh...I forgot to also mention that my old PR3s got really noisy about 3K before replacement. Especially the front, and it felt very "heavy" in slow-speed turns. At first I thought I was losing the steering head bearings! Seriously, it was hard to turn the bars! Pressures were 40psi so that was not the issue. It handled very sluggish and slow. The new T30 was an immediate reversal of that! In fact...I had to be careful for the first few rides until I got used to the light and quick motion again. I loved the PR3s but am very satisfied with the T30s. They would be great for 2-up riding as well.
Hard to compare worn out tires with new ones. Especially with the amount of miles you had on the PR3's!
I'm hoping for some long term updates on these tires before I need a set.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Michelin press release information notes that PR3s front tires have a flatter cross section compared to the PR4s and the latter have quicker response to steering inputs. This is at least a tacit reply to those of us that didn't really get one with the slow steering response of PR2s and PR3s compared to the Bridgestone BT023. I am back on BT023s and if the T30s have the same light, quick steering of the 023s I'll move on to them when these 023s are done.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Had mine mounted this week and got out to ride on them yesterday. The scrub-in ride was a 150-mile round trip to visit my folks. Comments in brief (or as brief as I get):

0 Miles: Wheeeee! My bike now has more positions than just upright and leaned over! Small amounts of steering input actually mean something! The BT020Fs these replaced were very squared off.

15 Miles: :cus: I have a vibration in the front at around 50 MPH indicated. Says to me, "wheel imbalance." The shop that mounted the tires put weights not far from the aluminum valve stem on the same side where it sticks out, which doesn't seem right. I've had weights on the front wheel maybe once in the whole time I've owned this thing. It kinda cheeses me off that I'm going to have to pull the wheel again, so to make sure it's done right this time, there's a Marc Parnes balancer on the way. I guess the next logical step is changing my own tires.

20 Miles: Ran into some relatively new tar snakes. The T30s didn't seem as squirmy as the 020s were.

60 Miles: Everything felt good enough that I could take the gloves off and push it a bit. I'm sure this will change over time, but for now the tires tip nicely into turns and grip on the sides inspires more confidence than the 020s did. I didn't spend a lot of time leaned far over, so the edges aren't fully scrubbed in yet.

110 Miles: Caught some rain and wet pavement. I was a little concerned that the tread pattern on the fronts wouldn't handle water as well since they look more like what you find on sportbike tires, but the grip was good.

Overall, so far so good.

All of this should be tempered by the fact that it has been four years since I put a new set of tires on the ST. I'm hoping the next set comes a lot sooner than that.

--Mark

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I just mounted a new T30 on the rear of my ST last Saturday. Took the 023 off after 24 or 25K miles:D. So far I like the T30 but time and mileage will really tell the story. The trusty STeed was dancing around pretty good with the old 023 as expected, so yea the new T30 makes it feel like a new bike again. So far at about 300 miles on the T30 the tire feels very planted in the few turns I have commuting. So far so good.

Bike
2003 ST1100P non ABS
Ye gods ! Was the bike on a trailer ? You must share your secrets. My rear 023GT lasted 4k and the sides had gone. I've not bought another pair of 023s, although they were brilliant to ride on.
I got a pair of T30's fitted to my ST1100 last August. Would say I've at most 500 miles left on the rear now having done ~5K on both. Front looks like it has plenty life left yet. I can't fault these tyres at all. Even after many miles and squaring off the rear, they still handle great. But what would you recommend for higher mileage and is 5K about right for a rear T30?

Thanks,

Gareth

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I got a pair of T30's fitted to my ST1100 last August. Would say I've at most 500 miles left on the rear now having done ~5K on both. Front looks like it has plenty life left yet. I can't fault these tyres at all. Even after many miles and squaring off the rear, they still handle great. But what would you recommend for higher mileage and is 5K about right for a rear T30?

Thanks,

Gareth
Are the T30s on your bike the plain T30 or the T30 GT? On the sidewall of the tire will be 'GT' after the T30 size. I was getting more than 8000 miles out of BT023 GT rear and would be disappointed to get 5 or 6,000 out of the new T30 but I only got 6000 out of standard 023s (non GT).

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
I installed a new set of front & rear T30s (non-GT spec) on my ST1100, replacing the previous Metzler Z6s. Here are a few observations after 250 miles :-

1) Tread Patterns - It was a revelation for me comparing the Z6 rear tire profile that was essentially designed without rain-groove/treads in a wide central patch - That really explains the poor wet weather stickiness I used to feel

The T30s have more tread pattern & rain grooves in the centre, and should be way better than the prev ones in heavy rain

2) Corners & turns - Wow! Just Wow! The T30s want to lean in super fast. Maybe its a new vs Old tire thing, but the T30s effortlessly "fall" into a curve when leaned on, while the Z6s used to need more 'man-power' to make it lean, but the T30s really fall into a lean (scared me the first 5-10 times, before Harry took me on Indiana St 135 twisty road :D )

3) Sidewalls - Yeah, very stiff & took some effort to mount on the wheel, especially the rear tire.

I got them from Revzilla.com & got both front & rear tires for ~$215 including shipping (free shipping over $39)

Regards,
Vishnu

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Vishnu,

You the man. Sleeping on that little couch with no pillow and no covers at OH-STOC will stick in my mind for a while. Oh, to be young and flexible.

Did you mount the T30s yourself with tire irons or spoons or use a tire mounting machine?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I now have a matched set of Bridgestone sport tourer T30F and T30R. When I purchased my 1990ST1100 a year ago April there was 129,500km on the clock and it had close to new 023's on them. I changed out the rear when I saw the wear bars at 137,700 (8,200KM) and the front when I saw the wear bars at 141024 (11,524KM) I just had to change the rear again but went well pass the wear bars and that tire wore out at 148,340 (10,640KM) I always checked the pressure and ride a bit aggressive. I've only rode a short distance with the new rear tire but it rides better than the 023's and feels like it has more grip. I currently have 7,316 km on the front tire, it still has a good tread on it but I suspect I will be changing that out before the season ends. I will be interested to see if I can surpass the mileage of the 023's.

Bike
2003 ST1100P non ABS
Are the T30s on your bike the plain T30 or the T30 GT? On the sidewall of the tire will be 'GT' after the T30 size. I was getting more than 8000 miles out of BT023 GT rear and would be disappointed to get 5 or 6,000 out of the new T30 but I only got 6000 out of standard 023s (non GT).
Just T30 not GT. Is the GT version available in the UK? What's the likely difference mileage wise? My local bike shop were going to fit a BT023 originally but ended up fitting a T30 as they said this was the replacement and charged me less for it.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Ye gods ! Was the bike on a trailer ? You must share your secrets. My rear 023GT lasted 4k and the sides had gone. I've not bought another pair of 023s, although they were brilliant to ride on.
LOL, no the bike was not on a trailer. I'm actually changing the front tire as I type this. I popped on to get the front rim tightening sequence. Later on I'll total up the exact mileage and try and post pics. The Stones have done so well for me I'm afraid to try anything else yet. I can count the turns on one hand for my commute. My normal commute is hot to warm weather in the summer and mostly 30's and 40's in the winter, occasionally it will get into the 20's . My speed varies from 75 to 90 MPH mostly. Man at 5K mile tire changes I would have to become a dealer just to afford to commute on this machine.:eek:

I do not know if I have any special secrets, okay really I don't! I run my pressures at 44lbs front and rear. I had Ride on in the rear tire and balance beads in the front. I am currently running Ride on in both front and rear as I never had to add any air in the rear tire. The front would give me a slight wobble at 30 MPH then smooth right out, but I also would lose slight air pressure in the front over time. Those are the reasons I decided to run Ride On front and back this time to see how it is in both tires. The rear was always smooth and vibration free.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Well I can not figure out how to load a picture yet. The final tally on the front BT020 is 26,510 miles. The rear BT023 was put on about 1500 miles after the front. I cannot find the rear tire receipt that showed the bikes exact mileage. I think I got my monies worth out of both tires :D! So I went with another BT020 in the front and the T30 GT in the rear.

The short test ride tonight has so far sold me on balancing with Ride On. Bike was absolutely smooth at all speeds up to 75 MPH so far. So much better then the beads that were in the front.

Top Bottom